• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Insect books--a tip (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I am feeling frustrated because I've had a couple of insect books recommended to me and they are very hard to get.
The first is by Michael Chinery: Insects of Britain and Western Europe.
Several keen entomologists use it but according to the HarperCollins website the new edition won't be ready until 2008!
I've had more luck with Tolman and Lewington's guide to European butterflies which, again, some serious lepidopterists have recommended. For some reason www.Amazon.co.uk want £46.47 for their only copy of this book! But I've discovered there are other options.
a) you can get the Princeton University editon from www.Amazon.com --it's a paperback edition--but I can live with that and it doesn't cost any more than what the Uk edition should cost--£19.99.
b) it is available in French from www.amazon.fr
c) it is available in Spanish from the publishers of HBW--Lynx Editions (or something similar). It's almost worth buying for the illustrations alone, even if you don't read Spanish or French (or English!)

As I am sure most members will know, it is always worth a look on www.bookfinder.com if there's a title you are having a job to get hold of. It's helped me several times.

UpdateI've just discovered that you can get the butterfly book in English (US edition) from www.amazon.fr which may well work out cheaper than ordering it fromt the US, which I've just done ;-(

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back