• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My tripod disintegrated yesterday... (1 Viewer)

paulwfromtheden

...I wasnt too fussed as it was a fairly cheap one that I got with the Scope (an Opticron HR 66 GA ED), but I need to replace it and was looking for some advice as to the best make and model.
I assume that the tripod comes with the bit to attach it to the scope, so I am particularly looking for one that I can sling over my shoulder, as my scope has a shoulder trap as well, so that would keep both hands free.
Can anyone advise as to makes/models? Cheers
Paul

paulwfromtheden said:
...I wasnt too fussed as it was a fairly cheap one that I got with the Scope (an Opticron HR 66 GA ED), but I need to replace it and was looking for some advice as to the best make and model.
I assume that the tripod comes with the bit to attach it to the scope, so I am particularly looking for one that I can sling over my shoulder, as my scope has a shoulder trap as well, so that would keep both hands free.
Can anyone advise as to makes/models? Cheers
Paul

Any of the Manfrotto View models will do you a treat Paul, 190v - £130 - £140 quid depending on which head you choose or 055v - £150 - £160 ditto. The 055 is taller & heavier, & the heads - 700RC2 & 701RC2 will handle max weights of 2.5KGs & 4KGs respectively. Superbly made Tripods & nice & stable.

Cheers,

John.

JohnnyH said:
Any of the Manfrotto View models will do you a treat Paul, 190v - £130 - £140 quid depending on which head you choose or 055v - £150 - £160 ditto. The 055 is taller & heavier, & the heads - 700RC2 & 701RC2 will handle max weights of 2.5KGs & 4KGs respectively. Superbly made Tripods & nice & stable.

Cheers,

John.

Many thanks John, I had Manfrotto in mind, good to have it confirmed!
Paul

paulwfromtheden said:
Many thanks John, I had Manfrotto in mind, good to have it confirmed!
Paul
Have a look on Warehouse Express for the offers they have on Velbon carbon fibre legs. The CF-530 and CF-630 Pro models are half price. I went for the 630 and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made. My Manfrotto 055Pro is now gathering dust, totally unused. You'd need to buy a head, but any Manfrotto head will fit.

hollis_f said:
Have a look on Warehouse Express for the offers they have on Velbon carbon fibre legs. The CF-530 and CF-630 Pro models are half price. I went for the 630 and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made. My Manfrotto 055Pro is now gathering dust, totally unused. You'd need to buy a head, but any Manfrotto head will fit.

Thanks. I wonder if I could trouble you further for some advice. You will soon realise I know very little about tripods!!
I can quickly guess what a 'head' is, but what is a guide as to the 'type' (there seem to be different sorts) and how much I should pay for a decent one?
Thanks.
Paul

paulwfromtheden said:
Thanks. I wonder if I could trouble you further for some advice. You will soon realise I know very little about tripods!!
I can quickly guess what a 'head' is, but what is a guide as to the 'type' (there seem to be different sorts) and how much I should pay for a decent one?
Thanks.
Paul

Paul,

I'd recommend that you pay a visit to good optical shop & try out all of the options, they will be able to answer all of your questions. As you're in Croydon, try Kay Optical in Morden, I've used them recently & found them to be excellent. Buying something blind on the net on someones say so is risky as what suits them may not suit you. Take your scope along to Kay & line em up! Good luck.

John.

:clap: :clap: there are a lot of tripods out there. Manfrotto is one of the best. If you need a light one and have the cash a Gitzo is a plus. The above mentioned 700rc2 and 701RC heads are great. They allow you about an inch forward and back adjustment to offset the weight of your scope. Originally a video head, they work well with a digiscope. The only draw back is the fluid head and very cold weather. In the event you are out in -20fh weather you should use a ball head. The quick release works well on the above heads. Take your scope to a shop and try them out. You wouldn,t buy a suit with out trying it on. Also a little weight helps steady your scope. I carry mine all the time afield and once in a while I wish I had a carbon fancy light thing but when it comes to shooting I like the stability of my Manfrotto and all its adjusting abilities.

Last edited:
JohnnyH said:
Paul,

I'd recommend that you pay a visit to good optical shop & try out all of the options, they will be able to answer all of your questions. As you're in Croydon, try Kay Optical in Morden, I've used them recently & found them to be excellent. Buying something blind on the net on someones say so is risky as what suits them may not suit you. Take your scope along to Kay & line em up! Good luck.

John.

Thanks, Morden is just down the road, so I will pop down there tomorrow.
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back