• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any one found a scope like the Nikon SE? (1 Viewer)

FIELDBIRD

I recently have fallen in love with the porro view. I have heard wonderful things about the Nikon SE bins. I just placed an order for an 8 x32 SE. But has anyone found a scope like the Nikon SE in "price and optical reputation"?

Thanks.

FIELDBIRD said:
I recently have fallen in love with the porro view. I have heard wonderful things about the Nikon SE bins. I just placed an order for an 8 x32 SE. But has anyone found a scope like the Nikon SE in "price and optical reputation"?

Thanks.
I find the Nikon Fieldscopes provide a near natural view not bettered by any in terms of sharpness, colour and contrast.

Nikon ED 50mm

scampo said:
I find the Nikon Fieldscopes provide a near natural view not bettered by any in terms of sharpness, colour and contrast.

How's the Nikon 50ED? What type of eyepiece do you recommend for shorebirds and duck ponds? I don't use a scope a lot but want one (quality but price is an issue). I wear glasses and have looked through the Nikon ED78 and it was wonderful. Zoom eyepieces not too impressed with. How does one figure out the X factor with the 50 ED? What are the differences optically between the Fieldscope 60mm and 60mm ED is it a huge difference optically? I tend not to notice CA but at long distances it will probably be more obvious, right?

Thanks

Hi Fieldbird I had my first look through the ED50 yesterday along with what the Nikon rep at the show was terming their digiscoping range of fixed eye pieces: 16x on the ED50 24x on the 60 and 35x? on the 80 I think. The image was great and I was really impressed considering that I had been intrigued by the scope due to size and weight but was worried that it might be more of a toy than a really quality piece of equipment. From my 10 minutes playing around with the thing I can say that it seemed like a really nice piece of kit and is now top of my wish list as it seems perfect for times that I don't want to lug my old Swaro 80HD - which quite honestly is most of the time when I'm walking more than a mile from the car.

Luke

Last edited:
FIELDBIRD said:
How's the Nikon 50ED? What type of eyepiece do you recommend for shorebirds and duck ponds? I don't use a scope a lot but want one (quality but price is an issue). I wear glasses and have looked through the Nikon ED78 and it was wonderful. Zoom eyepieces not too impressed with. How does one figure out the X factor with the 50 ED? What are the differences optically between the Fieldscope 60mm and 60mm ED is it a huge difference optically? I tend not to notice CA but at long distances it will probably be more obvious, right?

Thanks
The ED uses low-dispersion glass so has no noticeable aberration. For me, the ideal eyepiece is the 20x or 27x fixed.

As Luke says, the initial impressions on seeing the scope will be based upon its diminutive size - can this really do the job? On picking it up, the build quality becomes obvious; on looking through it, best of all, it soon becomes clear that this is a serious piece of birding kit. The view is sharp, bright, contrasty and wide. A delight - so small, so light.

scampo said:
The ED uses low-dispersion glass so has no noticeable aberration. For me, the ideal eyepiece is the 20x or 27x fixed.

As Luke says, the initial impressions on seeing the scope will be based upon its diminutive size - can this really do the job? On picking it up, the build quality becomes obvious; on looking through it, best of all, it soon becomes clear that this is a serious piece of birding kit. The view is sharp, bright, contrasty and wide. A delight - so small, so light.

To get a 20x view through the 50mm ED which eye piece do I purchase?

Thanks you very much.

FIELDBIRD said:
To get a 20x view through the 50mm ED which eye piece do I purchase?

Thanks you very much.

The one which is 20x on the ED50 :'D No seriously it has different magnifications on the range of Nikon Fieldscopes, the 20x Eyepiece on the ED50 will give 30x on the ED60 Scope, & 38x on the ED82.

ATB,

John.

FIELDBIRD said:

Thanks.
i have a pair of nikon 8x32 SE bins and a nikon ed 50 with the new 20x and 27x wide eyepieces, plus a kowa 663 ed with tsn 20x and 30x eyepieces but the view- image through the bins after using the scopes takes your breath away . the scope your looking for is going to have to be exceptionally good. kind regards stuart.

FIELDBIRD said:
How's the Nikon 50ED? What type of eyepiece do you recommend for shorebirds and duck ponds? I don't use a scope a lot but want one (quality but price is an issue). I wear glasses and have looked through the Nikon ED78 and it was wonderful. Zoom eyepieces not too impressed with. How does one figure out the X factor with the 50 ED? What are the differences optically between the Fieldscope 60mm and 60mm ED is it a huge difference optically? Thanks

There are two threads here on the ED50, one of them running under Nikon travel scope!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back