• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Painted Ladies (1 Viewer)

cjay

380 Painted Ladies at Bawdsey Suffolk yesterday
c100 at Winterton Dunes Norfolk today. Also an abundance of Gatekeepers.
Colin.

Colin.

There has been a huge influx this spring/summer. Do you think some of those we are seeing now are the offspring of those we saw in the spring?

In Maldon today on a feral buddleia I had over 30 Painted Ladies and several Red Admirals too.

Dave

Dave

The pristine condition and more approachable nature of the current crop compared to the worn and restless earlier generation does indeed point to them being offsprings of the spring ones.

Adey

At long last following many press releases the press have finally started writing about the "Painted Lady Year" It can only help promote an interest in Natural History & try & encourage Dudes to comprehend how far these butterflies travel.

One person I spoke to today thought I was pulling his leg. He thought they were flying to the sea to drink & return back again!

It would be nice for one of the birdwatching magazines to run an article on this phenomona too.

Colin.

We have plenty of them around further north and in addition I have never seen as many Commas around as we have at the moment.

Yes Commas will have second brooded by now. They are one of our hibernating butterflies and can be seen on the wing until October. They have a fondnes for fruit, as do all hibernating butterflies in Autumn and it is possible to pick them up of the bushes because they are drunk on the fermenting fruit.

Colin.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back