• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingbird Highway by Kenn Kaufman (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
On the same theme as Birding on Borrowed Time, Kenn's book tells about his obsession with birding, and how at the age of 16 he dropped out of school to hit the road and travel the USA for a year, to see as many bird species as he could.

Kenn has authored several birding books and is a regular contributor to American Birding magazines.

Kingbird Highway by Kenn Kaufman
Houghton Mifflin, 1997
ISBN 0-395-77398-9 (hardback)

That is uncanny, I finished this book on Sunday and was about to do a review. Actually he dropped out of school at 16 and attempted a Big Year twice until doing it for real at 18 years old. It is a brilliant and engrossing account of a young "hippy" birder's attempt to beat the North American Big Year list record simply by hithcing all over including Alaska. There is not one single boring bit at all and you find yourself willing him on. The book's best quality for me is the characters he comes across and makes good friendships with. His gang 'The Tucson Five' have debates and sometimes a search for a Rowlett's Owlett, if you wish to find out what this bird is you need to read the book. I will not say anymore than this.

The subtitle for this book is "The Story Of A Natural Obsession That Got A Little Out Of Hand".

This is an American book but I easily picked it up at my local book shop for about £7 and the ISBN number for your benefit is 0-618-06235-1 (paperback) 0-395-77398-9 (hardback).

Attachments

• kinghighway.jpg
    kinghighway.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 229
There are a couple of reference to it in the thread 'Twitchers' stories'.

Together with The Big Twitch, Kingbird Highway is a favourite. I loved the way Kenn Kaufman summed up his budding love affair (?!), marriage and divorce in two lines and got on with the real bird bussiness. A classic.

This is a superb book. In fact, out of all the similar books i've read (Snetsinger, Big Twitch/Year, Golden Wings, Gone Birding, To See Every Bird, etc) this is by far my favourite. It's just so well written. Plus i can really relate to the guy, having enjoyed travelling and being on the road, and being obsessed with birding. The bit at Gambell with the McKays Buntings makes you want to be there really soon! One day, i promise....

Would this be okay to download to my Kindle (e-reader). I guess I'm asking if it is all text or are there a lot of photos.

I got this book at the local library a few months ago, albeit in the Swedish translation. Read like a road movie, never a boring moment. Fun book to read, although I had to keep looking up all the birds he saw, since I knew nothing about American birds. Now I know a little more. ;)

Okay, then I shall download it. Thanks Dave.

Hope you are enjoying the book, KC. With the resurrection of this thread, I've been inspired to get my own copy off the bookshelf and start reading it all over again!!

Happy New Year reading, everyone ...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back