• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Shetland - request for info (1 Viewer)

Jono L

I will shortly be spending two days on Shetland before going on to Fair Isle. I will have a car and am staying at Sumburgh Head. Is there anybody out there who could suggest a day's birding route we could do, to check out a few good sites for finding some migrants?

Thanks in advance
Jono Leadley
www.indybirder.com

Jono L said:
I will shortly be spending two days on Shetland before going on to Fair Isle. I will have a car and am staying at Sumburgh Head. Is there anybody out there who could suggest a day's birding route we could do, to check out a few good sites for finding some migrants?

Thanks in advance
Jono Leadley
www.indybirder.com

Hi Jono - have a look at: www.nature-shetland.co.uk and 'contact' them, I'm sure you will have an excellent route suggested!

I walked up from Sumburgh Hotel to Sumburgh Lighthouse, which was a fantastic walk, good for photography and birds. I literally passed through Shetland though on my way to Fair Isle for a week, end of May this year. If this is your first time to Fair Isle, you will fall in love with it. The food at the observatory is 1st Class (if thats where you are staying). Have a fantastic time.
Best Wishes Penny

Great website Jono, enjoyed a look.
I volunteered on fair isle in august, great place, great birds and great folks. As for Shetland, Im not much of an authority but I spent a bit of time watching Lerwick harbour (Skuas guillemots etc) and the pool of virkie nearby is supposedly worth a look (had to miss this, ferry back!). Based at Sumburgh you will have to head north onto the mainland, but it seems birds are turning up all over the place so a short journey should produce the goods.River warbler on foula today and Rustic bunting on Unst. Enjoy it!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back