• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Budapest (1 Viewer)

Tom_Gray

Going to Budapest for a week in the beginning of November to visit my brother.

Does anyone have any advice on birding sites (especially for Woodpeckers, penduline Tit?, other Easten European species) do-able by public transport in day-trips from Budapest at that time of year. Also is there any Hungarian web-site with recent sightings of any interesting/rare birds which could be hanging around.

cheers

Hi Tom and welcome from all the staff and moderators at Bird Forum.

I'm afraid I can't help with your trip plans but I'm sure you'll get some advice soon.

D

I await any responses with interest as I had a flight booked to Budapest for end Nov/early December last year and changed it late on to Malaga - mainly as SW Spain offered a better cimate and better birding at that time of year.

I know the Buda Hills (just on the edge of the city, with some hotels nearby) support good birds but not sure whats around in November.

Also, it didn't seem too far to the Danube Bend so that may be doable on public transport.

You checked the trip reports on Birdtours - always a useful resource?

Also a few resources here:

http://www.camacdonald.com/birding/euhungary.htm

I'd be keen to hear you get on anyway.

Alan

I am an American living in Budapest since July. I met some nice birders here through www.birding.hu by emailing individuals who had posted in their forum and hoping they spoke english. I went on a few field trips with them and really was shown alot. But I have to say its not easy birding here for the following reasons.
Many of the best bird sites, such as the salt pans in the Kiskunsag or the fish ponds in the Hortobagy are not too close to Budapest and a car is required transit. There don't seem to be famous wildlife refuges which are walkable and well known as in the UK or eastern USA. The places aren't labelled for birding, with the exception of Hortobagy. It really takes a local guide to drive you to nondescript impoundments on private property but where birding is permited.
I was armed with the most detailed road atlas I could find and still we often drove on unmarked dirt roads across the dusty plain to arrive at an impoundment or salt flat which was not even on the map. I would not be able to find my way back to those great spots on my own.
2nd, while the Buda Hills are a great way to get away from town and hike. The area is forested hills and the habitat is quite common in Europe. It is to the south and east from Budapest that you find the dramatic & rare for Europe topography which hosts striking birds such as Roller, Beeeater, Hoopoe, Great Bustard, freshwater Terns, etc.
The Danube bend is also a forested hilly area. You may find Syrian Woodpecker, Rock Bunting and a few other species of interest, but mostly common forest birds of Europe. Also late Fall isn't the best time for Hunarian specialty birds. But you can still have a great time here.
Don't forget to look for Gulls along the Danube if you are here in winter. I am sorry I don't have better information. I have only been here since July. I have searched everwhere for info in english and talked to everyone I could but its not as well birded or documented (in english) a place as we are used to in the UK and USA.
If you are serious about more than just a birding stroll, I strongly recommend you contact one of the guide services and pay for a tour especially for the Puszta region. I have not done it myself yet, but I have 2 years to go....
If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer.
Marc

Last edited:
I quick reply to my own querry with some information which may be useful for other birders briefly visiting Budapest.

I found quite a lot of info on sites within the city here:
http://uk.geocities.com/pauljsharp/budapestnote.html

I visited the area at Gellért Hill, underneath the citadel, and found one Syrian Woodpecker. Also tried Margaret Island (not alot bar Tree Sparrows) and the park at Hosok Tere (a bit too crowded for birds but Edward's Phesant in the zoo!).

Also made the trip to the Buda Hills - (took bus 21 from Moskava Ter riding until the penultimate stop Hotel something or other). Really good beach forest which in the spring I imagine could be full of nice central European species. I had a few extremely showy Middle Spotted Woodpecker and loads of Hawfinches.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back