• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

scanning slides (1 Viewer)

graham catley

not sure if this is the correct location for this thread but cannot find another which fits!

With a collection of a few thousand K64 slides from years past I have been looking at ways of getting some onto digital---today I noticed a few Faltbed scanners, Canon, transparency adaptors built in----does anyone have any experience as to what sort of results you get from these type of scanners on slides? I did have a Nikon Coolpix slide scanner but always found it very slow and the results it produced never seemed to be up to the quality of the slides; when it was in-compatible with my new computer I sold it---

I use an epson flatbed with slide adapter and have not had any problems. My stepfather wrked for WHOI and traveled the world and we have about 25 large boxes full. i WAS tranfering them but I burned out and had to stop.

I never had prints made of my scans but they came out all right for web posting

One of the big advantages of a dedicated slide scanner is that most allow you to feed a big stack of slides, say 20 at a time. With a flatbed scanner, you usually can only do 4 or 6 at a time. So, if you have a huge number, and don't want to cull them out first, it is much easier to use a slide scanner.

Not quite the same as this involved transparancies, but I undertook the task of uploading all of the late Mike McDonnell's prints onto the KOS website. I looked into scanners etc then decided that I would investigate another option which was to take them to a photo developers and let them do the hard work for not a lot of money. They weren't overly happy doing it but they did a good job and you can see the results on www.kentos.org.uk

Not wishing to state the obvious to such a seasoned birder/photographer as yourself Graham, but if you do go down this road then do them in small batches just in case some get lost etc :eek!:

RAH said:
One of the big advantages of a dedicated slide scanner is that most allow you to feed a big stack of slides, say 20 at a time. With a flatbed scanner, you usually can only do 4 or 6 at a time. So, if you have a huge number, and don't want to cull them out first, it is much easier to use a slide scanner.

Scanning in bulk would be a HUGE bennefit, let me tell ya

tizziec said:
Scanning in bulk would be a HUGE bennefit, let me tell ya

If you've got a lot to scan, it may well be worth getting a Reflecta DigitDia 4000.

This is a 3600dpi slide scanner that looks like a slide projector, but with no lens. You just load up a standard slide magazine and scan from that, so batches of up to 100 slides are possible.
Scan times: 87 min for 50 slides at 3000dpi/34MB files (unattended)

£590 + VAT, see www.nativedigital.co.uk

Considering time savings, it seems quite good value, especially if you sell it on once you've finished.

Info (including web address) from BJP 10-may-06

Edit:
also available as Braun Multimag SlideScan 4000

Last edited:
We have a whole bunch of 6cm x 6cm taken by my father in law that we want to archive. Having looked around, some sort of adapter that I can fit on the front of my 20D would seem like a reasonable option, and give decent quality. A couple that I have photographed by projecting onto a white wall came out all right, but of course there is the issue of the sensor being 4:3 and the slide being 1:1, but I can live with that. Its not a viable solution though for the rest because the projector broke and getting it fixed will be prohibitive!!

I can only find reference / ads for adapters which do standard size slides.

Does anybody know of anything suitable out there for 6x6?

BR
Ian

Ian,

I wouldn’t go down the road of projected light for these 6x6’s.

These are large enough to get a good scan of on a flatbed of any reasonable quality.

The better the scanner and software the more rewarding the final result.

As with any scanning you scan at the optimum levels of your scanner @100%. Treat them as individual scans. It’s a long process, but correctly done, you never need to do it again.

As for Graham’s original question, it’s a question of money and the use, I’m lucky enough to have high-end scanners and software.

Why not go to your local Boots and get them to scan to CD for you.

Hi Pe'rigin - Thanks for the feedback.

I do have a scanner (2400 dpi HP Scanjet 7400c) It has a number of slide masks but not a 6x6, so I made one up. You are right, it is a slow and tedious process. If I leave the scanner to pick its preferred resolution it goes for 200 dpi and image quality is rubbish, and if I set it higher to 2400 I end up with an 89Mb file which I thought was a bit over the top.

My reason for using the 20D was based on getting reasonable quality with only an 7Mb RAW file or 3Mb JPG, and I reckoned that if I could rig up an adapter I could speed the whole process up a bit. I am wanting to scan them so we 'save them for posterity' and can easily look at them. I wasn't planning to print them or anything.

Another fly in the ointment is that they have not been stored too well in the past, so a significant number (most) need to be thoroughly cleaned (to remove mould among other things!) before they are scanned / copied.

Perhaps I am going about this all the wrong way, and would appreciate any advice going.

BR
Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back