• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

resizing (1 Viewer)

tizziec

I have the photography side covered and I am currently hapy with my cheap to free software, but I do have a brain malfunction when it comes to resizing. I have a lot of pictures i woudl love to share but they are too big and everytime I resize i screw up.

I am fine with the camera but i wish digital could be done without the computer. I am just not friendly with mine HEHE

Seriously though, I know it is an idiot question but I just have a brain block with anything computer related

Oh and BTW what with the Pentax diss on the forums?

What software are you using? Different software will have different ways of resizing. Are you using a PC with Windows or a MAC? If it is Windows there are a couple of different soffware packs free that will help with the resizing problems.

tizziec said:
I have the photography side covered and I am currently hapy with my cheap to free software, but I do have a brain malfunction when it comes to resizing. I have a lot of pictures i woudl love to share but they are too big and everytime I resize i screw up.

I am fine with the camera but i wish digital could be done without the computer. I am just not friendly with mine HEHE

Seriously though, I know it is an idiot question but I just have a brain block with anything computer related

Oh and BTW what with the Pentax diss on the forums?

I've got cheap free software as well. To resize I click on 'Edit' and there's a line saying something like 'Image size' and you can adjust the height and width.

If you go to the Microsoft site you can download for free some software for resizing pics.Once downloade you simply right click on any pic. and a menu appears allowing you to resize to any size you wish.

Max.

There are 2 types of resizing. One refers to the actual dimensions of the image (height vs width), the other refers to the size it will PRINT at.

You mention that you want to resize your images for sharing, which usually means you want to resize for dimensions, and reduce the height and width down to a size small enough for easy screen viewing. Well, when you use your cheap software, there should be a function to resize which allows you to pick height and/or width. Usually there is a "maintain aspect ratio" checkbox, which means you just specify either the height OR width, and the software calculates the other dimension. A good size for sharing is 800x600, or perhaps 1024x768.

Well honestly I am looking to be able to upload on teh forums and gallery. I have ALWAYS screwed up resizing but i think i will check out the MS freebies.

Or...

Download Irfanview. Among the many things you can do with cracking little (free) app is resize and resample to your heart's content very easily.

The attached screenprint shows the resize/resample dialog - pretty straightforward.

I usually save with a quality of 90% which seems to have no perceptible impact on image quality, but still provides a smaller file.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 137
You can always try Faststone Photo Resizer... its a free download, I use it for all my pics...Its very easy to use and offers single or batch options etc..

Well I finally figured out how to use the freebie software I have. I think it's Nero, but I am not sure. Still might check out some others. I am waiting fora friend to hook me up with photoshop (ya like I could figure it out anyway LOL) because I need a bit more to my editing options at this point.

GODS I miss my darkroom, now THAT i had figured out

Keith Reeder said:
If you're Googling Micky's recommendation, it's Photofiltre.

Hi: I also use PhotoFiltre. believe the transposition of the e and r is because this is a French company. They will also allow you to download a free tutorial in English. Resizing is a breeze. Icons on the toolbar allow to resize either the image or the canvas.

Craig

tizziec said:
I am waiting for a friend to hook me up with photoshop
Not too sure that the mods would be keen on you discussing software theft in such a brazen manner - and it bugs the hell out of me...

:C

It's not realy theft. he is going to show me a few things so I can se if t is even something I would benefit from or if it is just WAY too far over my head (which is probably what will happen LOL) It's a lot fo money to spend just to find out you are an idiot and can't use it.

Keith Reeder said:
Hi Craig, I've been using Photofiltre myself for a long time - as I recall, Micky got the idea from me!

Good, isn't it?

;)
Yes you are right I did get the idea from you and it is good, I just wish it had Unsharp mask then it would be near perfect.

Mick

Tizziec you could always try the Gimp that's a freebie that is nearly as powerful as Photoshop, if you can figure it out that is!

Mick

is that the one for linux? If t is I was going to try it when i was running linux but I had to switch back to windows becasue lexmark would not share codes tomake my printer work. Running both is WAY over my head. If it can run on windows i would LOVE to try it. I had SOME luck messing around with it

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back