• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji S5500 Teleconverter (1 Viewer)

LSB

Me
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a teleconverter for the Fuji S5500 as I dropped my Tcon 17 1.7X one today and its making a lovely rattling sound. I have seen on the net the Raynox 2.2X or the Opteka 2.0 X. But I'm on a very tight budget at the mo.
Cheers
Lsb :eek!: :eek!:

LSB said:
Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a teleconverter for the Fuji S5500 as I dropped my Tcon 17 1.7X one today and its making a lovely rattling sound. I have seen on the net the Raynox 2.2X or the Opteka 2.0 X. But I'm on a very tight budget at the mo.
Cheers
Lsb :eek!: :eek!:
Hi,
Stay away from the Opteka range, compared to the TCON 17 they are like looking through a bottle bottom! I had one and got rid asap.
The Raynox are supposed to be pretty good so worth a try. will you be selling your TCON 17 lens cap? i lost mine at the weekend Dooohhh! if you are how much do you want for it?
Cheers
Brian in Sunny Scotland

Claymore said:
Hi,
Stay away from the Opteka range, compared to the TCON 17 they are like looking through a bottle bottom! I had one and got rid asap.
The Raynox are supposed to be pretty good so worth a try. will you be selling your TCON 17 lens cap? i lost mine at the weekend Dooohhh! if you are how much do you want for it?
Cheers
Brian in Sunny Scotland

Thanks I will check out the Raynox one.(supposed to HD2 glass).. And you can have my lens cap for free. Its on the cliffs somewhere at St Mary's Lighthouse. I lost mine too awhile back... ;) ;)
PS On a lighter note Damage to Tcon was front lens had popped out of place without leaving its housing. So Ive popped it back into place and im off to test it today watch this space...(fingers Crossed)

Took damaged lens for a test today hoping I had fixed it..... No such luck images came out too soft.. :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: Guess I will have to save up for a new one..

Attachments

• Sandy.jpg
    Sandy.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 217
  • Sanderling.jpg
    Sanderling.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 183
Sorry to hear about the TCON (and the lens cap 8-() i must say though your photo's are brilliant! i had a look on your website and was well impressed!
Do you use a tripod/monopod etc for the bird shots? i have a Benbo Trekker (the heavy duty one) and also a Kaiser Rifle Pod which is great for sports/wildlife i bought it on Ebay for £5.00! and also got one for my wife (£7.00) they come for auction quite often so its well worth looking out for one.
Cheers and hope you get TCON working soon
Brian

Claymore said:
Sorry to hear about the TCON (and the lens cap 8-() i must say though your photo's are brilliant! i had a look on your website and was well impressed!
Do you use a tripod/monopod etc for the bird shots? i have a Benbo Trekker (the heavy duty one) and also a Kaiser Rifle Pod which is great for sports/wildlife i bought it on Ebay for £5.00! and also got one for my wife (£7.00) they come for auction quite often so its well worth looking out for one.
Cheers and hope you get TCON working soon
Brian

Cheers Claymore ,
Most of my shots are taken hand holding the camera, but just recently ive been using a Cullman shoulder pod. ( a bit like your rifle pod).
And thanks again for saving me buying an Opteka Bottle Bottom...
:clap:

Did a bit of web surfing and came up with this...
Fuji TL-FXE01 1.94x (N076110A) Lens Converter

Does anybody have any experience with this lens?

lol, I lost my Tcon cap last weekend too ! I guess it's catching ..
Thanks for the tip on the caps at Adorama - I'll buy one now .

When I droppd my previous Tcon 17 , it cost 60 dollars to repair, then the lenses came loose again inside and I had to get another. They are the real deal though. Never ever by Opteka, Digital Concepts , or any other Ebay ripoff lens .

Most of the photos on my blog are taken with the fuji Tcon combo.

I have a Fuji S5500 and have been using the Fuji 1.5 x teleconverter lens up until now. I would like to try an olympus TCON 17 but which one do I buy? According to the Olympus website there are 3 - the TCON 17; TCON 17C and TCON 17F! I'm guessing that it's not the 17C as that is a bayonet fitting and not a screw thread fitting - that just leaves two!!! :brains:

I am using the Fuji S5500 with the adapter ring which has a 55mm screw thread fitting.

Many thanks

CLaire

Oh, and I would also like to try digiscoping - how do I attach my camera to a scope? I have an F-adapter ring - is there any other way?

Last edited:
Just the plain TCON-17 is what you want, I think. It has the 55mm mounting threads at the back, so it should just screw into your adapter. The 17F appears to be specially made for the SP-310 & SP-350.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back