• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lists (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
Does anyone keep a year or life list? if so do you want to share it with us?and what month does your year list start?

steveB :)

Hi Steve,
I keep an Irish list,which is a relatively low 279(not including Yellow-legged Gull,Carrion Crow,White Wagtail or a few other potential splits-best to wait until these things are official!).
I keep a year list as a means of making things more interesting,but only compete against my own totals from previous years.At the moment I'm on 200 for the year,and my record(set last year)is 201,so I should beat that.
The interesting thing is that back in 2000 when I got 39 ticks(incl.S-B Dowitcher,Blue-winged Warbler,REV,Isabelline Shrike etc.),I actually managed less species in the year than I have so far THIS year!This year SEEMED quiet,but I did see lots of seabirds earlier in the autumn,many of the regular scarce migrants co-operated(still need Yellow-browed for the year),and the spring saw me ticking Alpine Swift(found 5 together in Cork city!),GS Cuckoo,White Stork,Woodlark(a "mega" over here!) and Golden O.
1 Lesser throat and 1 Black Red the best at a wet Old Head of Kinsale today(had seen 2 Lesser throats,3 Black Reds,1 Turtle Dove,1 Reed Warbler and a few Chiffs/Wheatears/Swallows yesterday)
Hoping to tick Pallas' Warbler this autumn,and whatever else may turn up.
My year list starts,of course,on 1st Jan!!

I keep a UK life list which currenly stands at 415 ( sorry Harry no Irish birds on there!) there are a few blockers on there which even the most ardent twitchers would appreciate - Chestnut -sided Warbler anyone!!

I also keep a county list for Cornwall which stands at 329 - it went up one this week when I found a Goshawk

My other two lists are probably my most important - an area list, in this case Caradon aka South-East Cornwall, which at the moment is 230 and a personal finds list currently 253. Red-flanked Bluetail and Spanish Sparrow are the best birds on both of those lists.

I used to keep a year list but it got too silly, I can't see the point anymore in travelling all day to see a particular species every year, when I can pop up the road to Rame Head and watch the local birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back