• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey Owl (1 Viewer)

Bob in SF

Tim kindly asked for more. Here's a world weary owl in an existential moment. Scratchboard, mixed media on a panel.

Attachments

• OwlPtgPS#9.jpg
    OwlPtgPS#9.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 155
  • OwlPtg cu face.jpg
    OwlPtg cu face.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 123
  • OwlPtg eye and nose.jpg
    OwlPtg eye and nose.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 118
Bob - you've certainly got something really intersting going on with your approach to birdlife. Bravo! This is a welcome addition to the art forum.

Thanks!

Thanks! Once the eyes are looking back at me, I let them dictate to rest of the painting. Best reagrds to all. - Bob

beautiful eyes.....i can understand what you mean about once you get them in...i like to do mine first, that way the bird comes to life much more quickly!....
you have some wonderful soft touches to your work.........
you mentioned it was mixed media? cp? ink? pastel? dont keep us in suspence..

Owl - mixed media method...

bettyann said:
beautiful eyes.....i can understand what you mean about once you get them in...i like to do mine first, that way the bird comes to life much more quickly!....
you have some wonderful soft touches to your work.........
you mentioned it was mixed media? cp? ink? pastel? dont keep us in suspence..

Bettyann - I began scratching into a Claybord scratchboard panel (Ampersand makes it) with standard tools. But this was too hard a look for soft eyes. Then I switched to airbrush acrylics. But this was too soft a look. Then I switched to hand brushed acrylics, out to the final highlights. You may ask how I could hand brush over airbrush without disturbing the airbrush tone. And the answer is that I use UV resistant photo-protective spray ( old brand no longer available, but any should do) between layers: this will protect the underlying airbrushing.

Your pencil work is extraordinary. Best regards. - Bob

ps: I often start in one medium, then switch over - once again letting mood dictate medium, just as eyes drive the work to completion. Here's another case - started by scratching in the eye surroundings of these birds, then went straight to airbrush/handbrush. Many roads to Rome/roam.

Attachments

• parrots ptg nice.jpg
    parrots ptg nice.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 110
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back