• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reculver, kent. (1 Viewer)

ruddyduck

hi guys, ages since I last viewed this website (not through choice, but no access to computer!!) Just had to tell you about my latest high! (This girl is easily pleased when it comes to bird watching!!)
I saw my first LITTLE AUK in the weekend and I'm still on cloud nine!!
We walked from Minnis bay to coldharbour, wanted to walk further but foot pain wouldn't allow!! (That'll teach me to walk from minnis bay to reculver and back the previous week, really paying for it now, it was my first big hike since coming out of plaster in September!!) We, (Me and my better half!) saw dozens of brent geese and at least a dozen oystercatchers, as well as a grey heron being mobbed by herring gulls on the shoreline!!! We were kindly informed by a far better bird spotter than us that the little auk would not survive as it would starve to death (it was barely 15 feet from the waters edge and looked exhausted as the current took it further along the coastline) I feel sad to think this brave little bird won't make it, but being so close to it really made my day and I'll proudly add it to my life list!
During my walk the week earlier I was lucky enough to count 200+ oystercatchers and 300+ Brent geese, it's a sight I won't forget in a hurry! I was also lucky enough to see 2 Shore larks, kindly pointed out to me by another keen spotter as well as a dead seal on the shingle!!!
It's so nice to be able to talk to total strangers, bird spotting seems to bring out the best in the human race!!! I come from Margate, where you daren't look a stranger in the eye without fear of being asked "What are you staring at?!" Then possibly thumped for it!!! Since I've become a bird lover, I have only met friendly, polite people (with the exception of one grumpy old so and so, but it didn't spoil my day!!) whom I have learnt so much from, thanks guys! (And girls!!)
Then last weekend, we spotted our first WATER PIPIT at Grove Ferry, as well as 80+ Teals and a couple of Pintails, so it's been a great fortnigh for me all round!!!
I know many of you will have seen so much more than myself, but the little Auk, Water Pipit, Shore Lark and Brent geese were a real bonus for me!!

Jude

Nice one Jude :t: Always worth a visit there. Don't forget to check here to see what's around before you go next time

We went to Reculver on Saturday and it was lovely day. We walked from the Towers to Coldharbour inland through the fields and back along the beach path and then along the beach to Bishopstone and back along the cliff. No sign of the Shore Lark unfortunately or Little Auk but we were accompanied by a Red-throated Diver all the way from the Towers to Bishopstone. It was no more than 10 yards offshore.

Keep your eyes peeled for Snow Buntings, they like the shingle round Coldharbour. There has been one reported so far.

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back