• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Charm of Birds (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
a bookstore near me has copies of "the Charm of Birds" by Sir Edward Grey for sale at £3.99 anyone read it ? worth a read?

cheers

Pete

£3.99! I paid £18.99 for my hardback copy! I have not yet read it but on first glance it looks like a good light read.

Is this the same Sir Edward Grey that wrote "Diary of an Edwardian Garden" or some such? Did enjoy that one.

I'll have to keep an eye out for this....

Beverley - that's the one. It was the Cottage Cook - subtitled Diary of an Edwardian country gentleman.

CJW - Well Grey also wrote a book called Fly Fishing in1899.

Been out and bought it(bicester shopping village). Annoyingly the charity shop that had a copy of Gilbert White's the Natural History of Selborne was closed - serves me write.

Grey was the chap who said "The Lights are going out all over Europe. We'll not see ther them lit again in our lifetime".

He had an impressive CV. Longest Serving Foreign Secretary. Joined the RSPB in 1893 Vice President in 1909 chaired the 1919 review of the Wild Birds Protection Bill. He was also a vp of the National Trust.

I'd like to get hold of a copy of some James Fisher. It was a different world. my Dad tells me that when he was a lad during the War birds like Linnets were common place.

CJW, no he did not. It was a Yellow Pages advert. The spin off book was written by some geezer using the name J.R. Hartley as a psuedonyum (did I write that right?) to cash in on the publicity.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back