• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Praise for Opticron (1 Viewer)

MacGee

My new Opticron SR.GA 8x32s came with a rainguard, which I don't like. I emailed Opticron to ask if they could supply me with ocular caps and they sent a pair free by return of post. What's more, they were the right size. Good service.

Michael.

MacGee said:
My new Opticron SR.GA 8x32s came with a rainguard, which I don't like. I emailed Opticron to ask if they could supply me with ocular caps and they sent a pair free by return of post. What's more, they were the right size. Good service.

Michael.

Michael

Are you still pleased with these after having used them for a while? Can't make up mind whether to buy them or the new Minox 8x32 BL.

Best regards
Gary

gweller said:
Michael

Are you still pleased with these after having used them for a while? Can't make up mind whether to buy them or the new Minox 8x32 BL.

Best regards
Gary
Yes, I'm pretty happy with them. In fact, I'm quite tickled that, according to Kikkert Spesialisten, I've paid so little for a pair of binoculars that, compared with the equivalent Swarovski EL (for instance), are brighter, equal in sharpness, and only a hair less contrasty. To buy that extra half point of contrast would have cost me an extra £710.

The Opticron is obviously optically superior to the Minox, but you may find that, for you, the advantages of roof prisms outweigh that. Roofs were my original choice. They seemed cooler and more convenient. In fact, before I discovered I needed smaller eyepieces, I had settled to buy the Opticron Verano.

Michael.

MacGee said:
Yes, I'm pretty happy with them. In fact, I'm quite tickled that, according to Kikkert Spesialisten, I've paid so little for a pair of binoculars that, compared with the equivalent Swarovski EL (for instance), are brighter, equal in sharpness, and only a hair less contrasty. To buy that extra half point of contrast would have cost me an extra £710.

The Opticron is obviously optically superior to the Minox, but you may find that, for you, the advantages of roof prisms outweigh that. Roofs were my original choice. They seemed cooler and more convenient. In fact, before I discovered I needed smaller eyepieces, I had settled to buy the Opticron Verano.

Michael.

It never ceases to amaze me how close a decent budget porro can come to
high end roofs in terms of optics,

I'm still keen on a pair of ultravids and wouldn't grudge paying the extra money,(if I had it ;) )but in the meantime i'm still perfectly happy with my opticron porro's.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back