• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Berwyn Hills looking for Hen Harriers (1 Viewer)

PaulAshton

Hi all,

Three summers ago I stayed in Llangollen and attempted to walk onto the Berwyn range moorlands. I was hoping to view Hen Harriers and enjoy the countryside.

But sadly once I'd followed footpaths up to the moors where ever I went either the footpaths disappeared or I came across locked gates and or barbed wire obstructions.

The locals seemed to think thast the ganekeepers where still persecuting raptors in the area.

Can anyone give any Hen Harrier info for this area, and recommend any good access point to the Berwyn range?

On a high note last February I had the pleasure of driving along a Dartmoor valley while a male Hen Harrier flew alongside us on the right and then across us to fly a few metres to our left as the road stuck to the side of the hill and the HH was desending steeper through the valley than the road.

Lovely V shaped flight, wings hunched up, cutting left and right over and around plant life.

Personnally I would go the Isle of Man if you were wanting to see Hen Harrier, as it holds the largest breeding population in Western Europe.
I have seen 50+ birds in a single evening some nights apparently you can get over 100.
Sorry not be any help ref. you Welsh trip but this maybe helpful.

I visited the Isle of Mann flying from Birmingham on a twin prop 60 seater (sounded like a lancaster bomber). sadly this holday was in the Foot and Mouth restrictions days.

Had a good time apart from F&M restrictions. Goos sightings of Peregrines on the cliffs and watched the seals hauled out at the car park opposite the the Calf of Mann.

I think I'll be back across the sea one day.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back