• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon 630 v Manfrotto 55 or other (1 Viewer)

Daveash

I have a D70 + Tamron 200-500 +1.4 teleconverter. I am confused about tripods. I will be coming back to the UK for Christmas and want to buy a good tripod for the above rig. The Velbon seems a good buy at half price from WE but how does it compare with the Man 55CF. One member mentioned that he found the 55 lacking on a similar rig. Weight is not too much of a problem because I don't do too much walking with my camera. My original plan was a 55CF + 501 head. Any other ideas or suggestions welcome.

Thansk Daveash

Daveash said:
I have a D70 + Tamron 200-500 +1.4 teleconverter. I am confused about tripods. I will be coming back to the UK for Christmas and want to buy a good tripod for the above rig. The Velbon seems a good buy at half price from WE but how does it compare with the Man 55CF. One member mentioned that he found the 55 lacking on a similar rig. Weight is not too much of a problem because I don't do too much walking with my camera. My original plan was a 55CF + 501 head. Any other ideas or suggestions welcome.

Thansk Daveash

Hello Daveash,
I have no experience with the Velbon you mentioned, but I use a similar lens+camera (Canon), seldom + TC and I'm very satisfied with the Manfrotto 055V, I didn't notice any problem with stability, even with some wind; I have a reliable and smooth 128RC QR head, but if you are aiming at the 501, why not having a look also at the newer 701, lighter, cheaper and with a similar balance tuning?
Hope this helps, cheers
Max

Daveash said:

Thansk Daveash

I have been using a Velbon Sherpa PRO CF-630 for about a year and have been most satisfied with it. I also looked at the Manfrotto CF 55 and preferrred the Velbon. I use it with a Manfrotto 701RC2 head, the 501 head is a monster but superb. (If you prefer click as opposed to rotating tightening of the legs, then consider the Velbon CF-631).

gmax said:
Hello Daveash,
I have no experience with the Velbon you mentioned, but I use a similar lens+camera (Canon), seldom + TC and I'm very satisfied with the Manfrotto 055V, I didn't notice any problem with stability, even with some wind; I have a reliable and smooth 128RC QR head, but if you are aiming at the 501, why not having a look also at the newer 701, lighter, cheaper and with a similar balance tuning?
Hope this helps, cheers
Max

Thanks Max
All information from experienced persons welcome. Many thanks.

Daveash

baillieswells said:
I have been using a Velbon Sherpa PRO CF-630 for about a year and have been most satisfied with it. I also looked at the Manfrotto CF 55 and preferrred the Velbon. I use it with a Manfrotto 701RC2 head, the 501 head is a monster but superb. (If you prefer click as opposed to rotating tightening of the legs, then consider the Velbon CF-631).

Many thanks Bailleiswells for the information

Daveash

You can compared the velbon to the 0190 serie not the 055. I have use the velbon sherpa pro CF for one week, I return it to the store: too much vibration.I use for more than a year the 701 rc2 head, with good result in the beginning. 2 month ago I start to have wobling in the head, it's now more accerbed with 400mm f5.6 than the 300 f4 +tc, so I change for the 501. I feel the head doesn't know there is a lens on it. Seem overkill, but very silk operation. I use the 501 with a classic 055, it's a bit heavy weight at the end of the day, but stable when needed except in strong wind.

avan said:
You can compared the velbon to the 0190 serie not the 055. I have use the velbon sherpa pro CF for one week, I return it to the store: too much vibration.I use for more than a year the 701 rc2 head, with good result in the beginning. 2 month ago I start to have wobling in the head, it's now more accerbed with 400mm f5.6 than the 300 f4 +tc, so I change for the 501. I feel the head doesn't know there is a lens on it. Seem overkill, but very silk operation. I use the 501 with a classic 055, it's a bit heavy weight at the end of the day, but stable when needed except in strong wind.
Avan
Thanks for the information. I have now been back to the UK and made my purchase. I bought the Velbon because of the price but used the discount to upgrade the head to the 501. I had not seen the 501 before I bought it so was bit shocked at the size, however now I have had some practice I am pleased with my purchases. The length of the handle is good for additional stability but I can see a very slight movement when I put my finger on the shutter button, however this is with a 700mm lens up front. I may practice with the IR remote to avoid the finger generated wobble.
Thanks again
Daveash

Daveash said:

Thansk Daveash
I sold my 055 and bought a Velbon Sherpa CF but for scope use not camera. The Velbon is absolutely fine - much lighter! Whilst the Velbon is excellent, the 055 might well be that bit more stable in extreme conditions as it is so much bulkier. I use the MF 700RC2 head - again, superb and lightweight.

Last edited:
If weight is not an issue, The Manfrotto 055 ProB + 488RC2 ball head is a good combo. I use it for my 400mm f5.6 + 1.4 tc and it is rock solid.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back