• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Pentaxes.....? (1 Viewer)

I think that Pentax, like a lot of manufacturers, modifies/improves their model lines periodically. Some of this is just to get folks to spend more money for a new model, but sometimes there are significant differences. For example, in their lower line compact porro-prism binocs, they improved the minimum focus distance from about 10 feet to 6 (significant for birding), and also the eye-relief some.

Last edited:
Frank,

The product information on the current SP binoculars at the Pentax website doesn't mention any use of ED glass. The current SP's appear to be identical to the new one's except the new ones have ED glass in the objectives and dielectric mirror coatings on the prisms. The new one's appear to have all the bells and whistles of the high end roofs. Could be interesting.

Henry

henry link said:
Frank,

The product information on the current SP binoculars at the Pentax website doesn't mention any use of ED glass. The current SP's appear to be identical to the new one's except the new ones have ED glass in the objectives and dielectric mirror coatings on the prisms. The new one's appear to have all the bells and whistles of the high end roofs. Could be interesting.

Henry

Thank you both for chiming in.

Henry,

I noticed the lack of information as well. However, I have seen it mentioned online and, as mentioned, actually have an advertisement from a hunting magazine which specifically lists the use of ED glass in their high end binoculars. The magazine is from two years ago.

My next question would be, did the older models utilize dielectric mirror coatings?

I agree, if definitely could be interesting.

RAH,

You could be correct in that they did add the ED glass at some point over the last few years without advertising it heavily. However, I wonder why since you would think it would be a major marketing point.

I have the 8x32 DWP SP's and love them. I just got them about a month ago. I had heard that there would be a new model coming out soon, which probably accounts for the incredible deal that I got on the current model ($349 at Adorama). Pentax advertises their DWP SP's as having "High-resolution phase-coated roof prisms." So I would say that the new model will be an upgrade to ED glass. I will certainly be interested in checking it out when it arrives. V

Luca said:
We'll have to see the field of view on them.

If you go to Pentax's website you can see the specs. It appears that they are exactly the same as the current SP's in every regard except the use of the ED glass. Given that they are showing a price of $900 vs. the current street price of $350-$400, I would say that the ED glass would have to add a tremendous amount to the quality of the image to justify the difference in price. I suppose that only field tests would reveal if that's the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back