• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird List Order (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
As a newcomer I am a bit fazed by the rather extensive list of British birds. It seems to have a standard order for the birds, but it looks almost random.
Are there any easy ways to help to remember the order?
Alan
:h?:

Picus-viridis said:
As a newcomer I am a bit fazed by the rather extensive list of British birds. It seems to have a standard order for the birds, but it looks almost random.
Alan

it gets worse since the official order changed recently!!

Hi Alan,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

As Pete says it's changed recently ;)

The order is something you get used to, but does have the advantage that "similar" species appear together.

Picus-viridis said:
Alan

Hi Alan Welcome to BF

Download the British List from the BOU site http://www.bou.org.uk/

Then it's really just a matter of remembering the order of the various groups, that way you can thumb through a fieldguide quite quickly. Don't worry about being word perfect, after over 20 years birding I'm nowhere near getting the various species on the right sequence, even less chance now that the sequence has altered.

Don't worry too much you'll soon get a adequate working knowledge. A mug of cocoa and flip through the guide at bedtime helps.

Keith Dickinson said:
Hi Alan Welcome to BF

Download the British List from the BOU site http://www.bou.org.uk/

Then it's really just a matter of remembering the order of the various groups, that way you can thumb through a fieldguide quite quickly. Don't worry about being word perfect, after over 20 years birding I'm nowhere near getting the various species on the right sequence, even less chance now that the sequence has altered.

Thanks for that. At least I can start learning the right list! I had a feeling there would be no easy answer.
Alan
:clap:

pduxon said:
it gets worse since the official order changed recently!!

yeah - after 20+ years of birding (and learning the order) they go and change it! I still use the old order for my lists, it's the one I know and the one that most field guides use.

I'm sticking to the old order, although my lists are normally in chronological order- that is, no groups listed together, but all new species seen on a single day are,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back