• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zoom H4 mini recorder (1 Viewer)

TBMike

Hello all,
Just registered on the forum. I am getting back into some recording. I had used a Boss mixer and a couple dynamic mics to capture some sounds out back by the pond. I got it out the other day and the right channel was dead. So I decided it was time to try something new. I opted for the Zoom H4 portable solid state SD memory recorder. It records to stereo WAV files at 44.1 hz. The USB cable plugs into PC and in that mode can act as card reader.
Stereo mics on board do a decent job of recording although a low pass option would be a handy add on. It has two 1/2 inch input jacks for external mics and I got a ME66/K6 combo to go with it. Options are either input or mics. can't use one onboard and ME66. I didn't get any sound from the ME66 at first until I got a low high transformer for the mic. (Short moment of panic until I got a transformer from Radio Shack). Now plenty of signal. So beware the H4 is high Impedance device and most mics aren't. Still sorting through the logistics so haven't got anything decent recorded from the shotgun yet.
H4 comes with a 1/4 inch (camera tripod ) holder secured with two velcro straps.
Using WavePad freeware for editing at moment and it seems to do a decent job. Considering updating to full Wave Pad or need for Audacity.

I will paste some sounds after first of year.

Mike

Oh yea I have since ordered a new mixer too.

TBMike said:
Zoom H4 portable Stereo mics on board do a decent job of recording although a low pass option would be a handy add on. It has two 1/2 inch input jacks for external mics and I got a ME66/K6 combo to go with it. Options are either input or mics. can't use one onboard and ME66. I didn't get any sound from the ME66 at first until I got a low high transformer for the mic. (Short moment of panic until I got a transformer from Radio Shack). Now plenty of signal. So beware the H4 is high Impedance device and most mics aren't.
Mike

Hi Mike,
Happy Holidays.

I just got The Zoom H-4 (A present from me to me) and have the ME66/K6 combo too.
I had no problems getting sound from the ME66. I turned on the K6 battery - no Phantom power from the device. Sound was right on.
What is a low high transformer?

Kjeld

Sample sound file from the H4 and on board mics. Cleaned up with wavepad software.

It is a recording of a pair of titmouse and cardinals by the feeder. Titmouse is eating sunflower seeds and you can hear him crackin them open.

Sound file

TBMike said:
Sample sound file from the H4 and on board mics. Cleaned up with wavepad software.
QUOTE]

Awesome sound - I don't know your birds but I don't think I'd like to get on the wrong side of a cardinal :)

There's a significant burbling sort of watery sound in the background - you might want to consider easing back on the noise reduction a tad...

TBMike said:

It is a recording of a pair of titmouse and cardinals by the feeder. Titmouse is eating sunflower seeds and you can hear him crackin them open.

Sound file

Great sound

If you are going for a 2GB Card for the H4 take care. I bought the Transcend 2GB 150x. Not working in H4.
Kjeld

No current plans for any 2 gig card. But will keep that in mind. Two 1 g might be better and I have found that long (greater than 10 min) are cumbersome for the PC.
Yes the burbling is the noise subtraction. I think I need to perfect that technique. Getting just the right sound sample to subtract. At times I get this other times I don't so suspect with Practice I will get better. That was one of my first.

mini review

Well I have had the H4 in the field for a while now.
First problem is the earphone jack is not stout enough. What were they thinking? This is the one place that will get the most abuse no matter how you use it. Still works but can hear the left side in right and vice versa.

The two 1/4 inch jacks are great for hooking up the ME66 and it has phantom power so could use without the K6 module(I don't). Con: I can't use one onboard and one ext mic. Simply mic or line in. Also the inputs are high Impedance and needs a low to high transformer(Radio Shack) for the ME66.
I had to turn auto level off as one bump with the mic and suddenly sound goes dead. Good news it remembers settings from one use to another.

Battery use is not bad but keep spares in your pocket 4 to 6 hours as stated. Same goes for K6 unit if you leave on all the time. I had one trip to the park that wound up with dead K6 battery and could only use on board mics.
(Of course that was panic as to what did I break.)
It is amazing the noise pollution we live with on a day to day basis and don't realize. Doesn't help that my area is in fly way for Tampa International.

I am happy with the audio and recordings. I find that I keep in in pause mode until I am ready to record so a simple push of button turns on record. Trying to keep recordings under ten minutes to help with editing. You will spend twice as much(at least) time listening and editing afterwards as you record. Deleting blank stretches and loud noises trying to clean up general noise level etc.
Still climbing the learnig curve but starting to get some results. Also have a couple of mystry bird tapes now where I got recordings and never saw the bird. That is another learning curve.

I have broke the Titmouse recording link and removed that file from my webpage. I had an opportunity to record some scotts seaside sparrows recently and have a short clip to share. H4 and ME 66. Only processing was normalize and stereo pan to fill both channels.

Scott's Seaside Sparrow

Last edited:
None of you guys tried to connect a mic with 3,5 mm plug into the H4? I am about to get a (old) Telinga Pro4 but will get the same problem since they were meant for Minidisc/tape-recorders in the 90's?? Stein

Found out myself! Could connect the self-powered (15V-battery)Telinga to a XLR-plug and it works just great. I will post a link further on, got nice recordings of Redwing and Song Trush last night. Seems that the wav-file needs to be boosted in Audacity, but the MP3s are OK. Any similar experience on H4?? The new software 2.0 permits 16GB card and a lot more user-friendly handling.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back