• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus on the ED50 (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
My new ED50 seems to have a focus that, while being smooth, is a bit harder working than I'd like to have it. I cannot just let my index finger glide over it as I can on the Leica APO77. I recall from another thread that it has a different mechanism
Focusing in the ED50 is accomplisned by moving the "back" half of the Porro cluster to change the length of the light path. In the other Fieldscopes the prism is fixed and focusing is done by a moving focusing lens.
as Henry Link explained. So I wonder whether this harder focus has got anything to do with that different construction. I should add, however, that my Fieldscope 60 ED III also needs a greater effort, but that barrel focus has a very different transmission ratio.

Also, do those who have had the ED50 for a while notice a change in the focus characteristics?

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
My new ED50 seems to have a focus that, while being smooth, is a bit harder working than I'd like to have it. I cannot just let my index finger glide over it as I can on the Leica APO77. I recall from another thread that it has a different mechanism as Henry Link explained. So I wonder whether this harder focus has got anything to do with that different construction. I should add, however, that my Fieldscope 60 ED III also needs a greater effort, but that barrel focus has a very different transmission ratio.

Also, do those who have had the ED50 for a while notice a change in the focus characteristics?
Hi Robert

Happy New Year to you and your family!

I haven't noticed anything unusual with my ED50 - the focus seems smooth and "normal".

I also saw your other post on the Cullman shoulder/chest pod but cannot find the post now. I think you have to tighten the collar to prevent the pod collapsing inwards. If you cannot do this get back and I'll get mine out to check it out.

I've had my ED50 for a year now, and agree with you Robert, that it would be better if you could roll it freely with only one finger. Instead, I find it necessary to pinch the wheel between finger and thumb to move it.
Don't think it has become any looser since I got it either. Perhaps there is variation from unit to unit?

scampo said:
Hi Robert

Happy New Year to you and your family! ..

Same to you, Steve! Thanks. (And to all the other participants here, too!)

My post on the shoulder pod is in that separate thread underneath. I do not see how I could tighten anything in the base area. It's only the collapsible center column that can be adjusted. But that is not where I have a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back