• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk (1 Viewer)

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
I am taking a visitor from spain round norfolk tomorrow (birdpal contact), but there has been few reports over the last few days, so can anyone let me know if the following are still about

SHorelarks and smew at Snettisham
waxwings - sheringham
Snow Goose - holkham

plus anything else of interest

Any info most appreciated by my guest

Mark

Goodies

Its dried up a bit, probably due to the weather during the last 48hrs.
No news on waxwings. Snow bunts and shorelarks still at favourite haunts as are the only flock of twite (Thornham Harbour). Black Brants - Wells/Cley/Holkham. Snow geese ranging - near Holkham...best bet is to find where they're feeding during the day - (fields where they have lifted carrots or sugar beet) or coming in to roost. Black eared kite not reported for a few days but could still be lurking around.

Good luck

I would think that Shore Larks are probably still present at Snettisham, since reported in the last two or three days (and if not, I'd be willing to bet there's still a few knocking around in Holkham Bay).

Nothing recent on Waxwings in Norfolk, AFAIK.

Snow Geese: the intermediate morph bird was reported 1 mile ENE of Docking for much of yesterday. The white morph bird will still be knocking around somewhere - just need to check every flock of Pinkfeet you see.

Other stuff: Twite flock around Thornham harbour carpark, pair Black Brant Titchwell.

In general at this time of year, I reckon it's best to assume that most birds in N Norfolk are there for the winter, so even if things haven't been reported for a while it's still well worth looking. Certainly unwise to assume that no news means they're not there!

Hi Mark
Black-eared Kite Dersingham Bog viewed from Wolferton Clifftop (also get Golden Pheasant at Wolferton.)
Smew, Snow Bunting and Shorelarks Snettisham
Little Gulls, Red-throated Divers, Long-tailed Ducks, Short-eared Owl all at Holme
Look through Brent flocks at Titcwell for Black Brant
Snow goose--keep asking other birders during day around Holkham as it can be mobile
as well as White-fronted Geese.
Bean Geese Cantley
harrier/crane roost at Hickling (or Harrier roost at Roydon with chance of Merlin.
Hawfinch and Firecrest at Lynford Arboretum
Have a great day
Sue

Re- Black-eared Kite reported at Dersingham Bog and in msg above 'view from Wolferton Clifftop', how do you access 'the clifftop' ?
I take it you take tracks / roads from the Triangle ?

Just to let you know how we did

Bean Geese at Cantley
Black Brant, Shorelark at Holkham
Grey Partridge at Chosley
GG Shrike at Grimes Graves

plus many of the commoner species

Thanks

Mark

tufty said:
Re- Black-eared Kite reported at Dersingham Bog and in msg above 'view from Wolferton Clifftop', how do you access 'the clifftop' ?
I take it you take tracks / roads from the Triangle ?

From the first 'triangle road' from King's Lynn go straight across at the (scissor) crossroads for about 1/2 mile and park on the RHS near a gate.Go through kissing gate and walk either straight ahead or turn left. After a few hundred metres you will have a grand view over Dersingham Bog and Snettisham pits.
Good Birding
Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back