• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland - Free to roam? (1 Viewer)

gareth_blockley

Smile people
I have decided that my birding holiday this year (my first) is going to be in Scotland in the end of may early june. i still need to see soooo many UK birds and im going to try and do it on a bit of a budget.

For the latter reason i was thinking of camping and have been told that you can pretty much pitch a tent anywhere out in the countryside e.g. along a quiet road over the highlands.
Is this true? Has anyone done it? Does anyone have any camping tips in general or particuler to Scotland?

Any help much appreciated

Gareth

All the advice you should need can be found here:

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp?nPageID=189

"Access rights extend to wild camping. This type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals and by keeping well away from buildings, roads or historic structures. Take extra care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse shooting. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner’s permission. Leave no trace by:
-taking away all your litter;
-removing all traces of your tent pitch and of any open fire (follow the guidance for lighting fires);
-not causing any pollution."

Thanks for these links, Capercaillie. As I am considerig a very similar venture in May, I would be grateful for any shared experiences.

Graham

gareth_blockley said:
i was thinking of camping and have been told that you can pretty much pitch a tent anywhere out in the countryside

Hi Gareth,

You can download the full Scottish Outdoor Access Code in .pdf format from here

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/upload/ApprovedCodeindex06Sept04.pdf

or order a free printed and bound copy by email or phone from here

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp?nPageID=26&nSubContentID=0

The phone number and email contact details are at the bottom of the page.

Derek

Last edited:
I'd advise a little caution in that I've known certain land owners get a bit shirty with people wild camping - and not without reason, it can get a bit unhygenic in popular spots.

Personally I generally only camp wild high up in the hills when I'm on overnight walks. Otherwise, what really is the need?. There are lots of fantastically situated campsites in Scotland, worth staying at just for the use of the showers and the toilets.

When I was there in early July was heading out through the forest on the way to a Caper site, and came across a bloke just lying there in this sleeping bag, without even a tent!! A bit extreme I realise but it can be done, as long as you stick to the guidelines above. Like Phil says though there's a lot of good campsites, depends what part of Scotland you're going to but both Grantown and Portree campsites were pretty good when I was up there last year.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back