• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon Sherpa or Sherpa Pro? (1 Viewer)

impotentspider

Does anyone know if there is any real difference in stability between the Velbon Sherpa range and its more expensive Carbon Fibre Pro range? or is it just the weight difference that make CF tripods more desirable.

I was considering the CF630 (or even the CF530) but after reading the specs of these and other models on the Velbon website I am seriously wondering if I really need a Carbon Fibre tripod.

The price difference between these two ranges is quite a lot considering the Sherpa range has a tripod head included in the price.

I will be using it with the Pentax K10D and Sigma 50-500 so this combination should weigh in at just under 3kilo, most of the Sherpa range and the CF530 will support up to 4kilo and the CF630 6kilo.

Going for either of the Carbon Fibre models would mean having to delay buyng a head, which brings me to one more question, does the CF530 or CF630 have a 1/4inch fitting so I could use it with my Benbo ball & socket head (I know some of the more substantial Manfrottos are 3/8ths)

I started out with a 750 Sherpa which I choose partly as a relatively cheap entry tripod but also for its extreme compactness that meant it was easy to carry about and I always had it with me. The downside was that it wasn't very tall without the centre column raised and once it was raised stability was very suspect. (I was using it for a scope plus digiscoping). Without the centre column raised stability was OK and all the other models are taller which will therefore give them a wider base and more stability.

However as with most things in life you get what you pay for and when I upgraded to a CF631 Pro there was a noticeable difference. In fairness some of this was probably down to the increased height and therefore wider base but not all of it I think. I have had it now for 18mths and have no complaints. I still use it primarily for scope/digiscope with the PH157Q head and am confident that the tripod will be fine for a DSLR when I get to go shopping this summer but I will probably need a better head.

Having just checked the head screw is 1/4 - 3/8 reversible.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Nigel

I have decided (actually now ordered) the Velbon CF630, I considered the others but decided that the 630 would be the best option, if its solid enough to support 6kilo it should be rock steady with only 3kilo on it. Plus I found one on ebay for only a few pounds more than Warehouse Express (£145 as oposed to £139), plus £2 cheaper postage and the inclusion of a free head, which might not be up to much but you cant get better than free.

Thanks again.

impotentspider said:
Thanks for the input Nigel

I have decided (actually now ordered) the Velbon CF630, I considered the others but decided that the 630 would be the best option, if its solid enough to support 6kilo it should be rock steady with only 3kilo on it. Plus I found one on ebay for only a few pounds more than Warehouse Express (£145 as oposed to £139), plus £2 cheaper postage and the inclusion of a free head, which might not be up to much but you cant get better than free.

Thanks again.

Glad you went for the 630. I have a 530 and whilst it's fine for indoor stuff (still life), it wobbles like a jelly in a stiff breeze outside. It's too light for its own good. However, it is very compact and portable, and if you hang your gadget bag off the bottom hook, it firms things up very well.

Even with the 630, I'd recommend you hang your bag on the bottom hook. Adjust the drop of the bag so the hook takes the weight, but the bag is just scraping the ground. That way, the bag doesn't swing in the wind, giving a pendulum motion to the image.

Small, light, compact, the 530 is easy to take with you, not the sturdiest though. As they say, the best tripod in the world is no good if you can't be bothered to take it woth you because it's too heavy.

Duncan

Later edit: I'd recommend ditching the Velbon head if you're going to use a long lens. The standard Velbon head is fine for lenses of <200mm, but it's Manfrotto all the way for sturdier heads.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back