• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finding Lesser-spotted Woodpecker (2 Viewers)

John Cantelo

Another thread suggests that for a lot of UK birdwatchers Lesser-spotted Woodpecker is the No1 'must-see-species' for 2007 so I though I'd put together some tips!

The problem is the Lesser-spotted Woodpeckers ….
a) …... are small critters in large trees tucked away in still bigger woods!
b) …… have declined alarmingly (by 75%)
c) …… tend to frequent the higher canopy of big trees
d) …… hide behind those irritating things called leaves

The trick is to discover strategies to neutralise these problems!

The first thing has to be …. find your wood! OK I've found the Lesser-spots in single isolated oaks, small clumps of wayside trees, spindly copses and the like, but these more marginal habitats seem to be where they have declined most in recent years. For your best chance look for a good sized ancient woodland with plenty of old trees (esp. oaks). If you don't know any old woodland read your county avifauna and check out your nearest RSPB/county/woodland trust reserves (these organisations tend to favour buying old woodland).

For more specific and up-to-date info get hold of your latest county bird report (easy since you're already a member ….) and read up on the species' fortunes. Talk to those competent looking birders you see around - at best they'll point you in the right direction and at worst commiserate 'cos they haven't seen them either! This should help pinpoint where to look as some old 'regular' sites no longer have them (or far fewer of them). Locally I can think of two or three sites which I'd have recommended searching a few years back which I'd not do today.

I've not kept an accurate record, but I'd guess that over 90% of the Lesser-spots I see I hear first so focus your search on that time of the year when they're drumming. In the UK drumming starts in late January and continues through February, but only starts going 'full throttle' in March and April. It starts to tail off in May and dribbles away through June. As the nature of the soundboard can radically alter the timbre of the note the key is to realise that,compared to Great-spotted Woodpecker, a Lesser's drum-roll tends to be longer (usually twice as long - c1.5 secs), slightly slower , more evenly articulated and more readily repeated. It's actually easier to recognise than described so listen to it on a bird "song" CD (and if you haven't get one of the freebies offered by 'The Independent' next week). Even if you're still not sure simply follow up all drumming to see the 'culprit' - every time it's a GSW, the more likely it is that the next one is going to be a Lesser-spot! However, if you hear a ringing 'pee-pee-pee' call (a bit like a Kestrel's) it's a Lesser-spot - this is a clincher. Since both drumming and the calls carry some way, you've now reduced the effective size of the search area to reasonable proportions. You're also going to be looking in March or early April (or earlier) as those pesky leaves won't be around! Remember too that Lesser-spots will probably be high up and feeding on the outer limbs of trees. Like so many birds your chances are increased if you're looking early (dawn is a lovely time of day!) on a still sunny day. Until you're 'in the know' finding a Lesser-spot is never easy, but do your homework, keep alert to drumming/calls, your eyes peeled and pick your day carefully - do all this and you will see one! Perhaps not the first time and maybe not the second, but if you've got it right I'll be disappointed if you've not done so by your third attempt!!!

John

Thanks John. Great advice given above. Perhaps 2007 will be the year I catch up on 'my' bogey bird.

Spa Gill Wood near Ripon held a lesser spot or two many years ago but I always failed to see the critter(s).

Can anyone recommend an ancient wood near York??

Talking of bogey birds...why are Twite so difficult to find?...now someone will tell me that they are easy ;)

John.

john barclay said:
Thanks John. Great advice given above. Perhaps 2007 will be the year I catch up on 'my' bogey bird.

Spa Gill Wood near Ripon held a lesser spot or two many years ago but I always failed to see the critter(s).

Talking of bogey birds...why are Twite so difficult to find?...now someone will tell me that they are easy ;)

John.

Not woods per se, but askham bog regularly throws up reports, as does castle howard by the garden centre. Also i know of a recent spate of sightings on the east bank of the ouse immediately south of fulford by the A64.

Thanks for that useful information John. I regularly bird a wood that should, to my mind, have LS woodpeckers in it but I've yet to see one. I will bear in mind all you've said.

Joanne

John Cantelo said:
Another thread suggests that for a lot of UK birdwatchers Lesser-spotted Woodpecker is the No1 'must-see-species' for 2007 so I though I'd put together some tips!

The problem is the Lesser-spotted Woodpeckers ….
a) …... are small critters in large trees tucked away in still bigger woods!
b) …… have declined alarmingly (by 75%)
c) …… tend to frequent the higher canopy of big trees
d) …… hide behind those irritating things called leaves

The trick is to discover strategies to neutralise these problems!

The first thing has to be …. find your wood! OK I've found the Lesser-spots in single isolated oaks, small clumps of wayside trees, spindly copses and the like, but these more marginal habitats seem to be where they have declined most in recent years. For your best chance look for a good sized ancient woodland with plenty of old trees (esp. oaks). If you don't know any old woodland read your county avifauna and check out your nearest RSPB/county/woodland trust reserves (these organisations tend to favour buying old woodland).

For more specific and up-to-date info get hold of your latest county bird report (easy since you're already a member ….) and read up on the species' fortunes. Talk to those competent looking birders you see around - at best they'll point you in the right direction and at worst commiserate 'cos they haven't seen them either! This should help pinpoint where to look as some old 'regular' sites no longer have them (or far fewer of them). Locally I can think of two or three sites which I'd have recommended searching a few years back which I'd not do today.

I've not kept an accurate record, but I'd guess that over 90% of the Lesser-spots I see I hear first so focus your search on that time of the year when they're drumming. In the UK drumming starts in late January and continues through February, but only starts going 'full throttle' in March and April. It starts to tail off in May and dribbles away through June. As the nature of the soundboard can radically alter the timbre of the note the key is to realise that,compared to Great-spotted Woodpecker, a Lesser's drum-roll tends to be longer (usually twice as long - c1.5 secs), slightly slower , more evenly articulated and more readily repeated. It's actually easier to recognise than described so listen to it on a bird "song" CD (and if you haven't get one of the freebies offered by 'The Independent' next week). Even if you're still not sure simply follow up all drumming to see the 'culprit' - every time it's a GSW, the more likely it is that the next one is going to be a Lesser-spot! However, if you hear a ringing 'pee-pee-pee' call (a bit like a Kestrel's) it's a Lesser-spot - this is a clincher. Since both drumming and the calls carry some way, you've now reduced the effective size of the search area to reasonable proportions. You're also going to be looking in March or early April (or earlier) as those pesky leaves won't be around! Remember too that Lesser-spots will probably be high up and feeding on the outer limbs of trees. Like so many birds your chances are increased if you're looking early (dawn is a lovely time of day!) on a still sunny day. Until you're 'in the know' finding a Lesser-spot is never easy, but do your homework, keep alert to drumming/calls, your eyes peeled and pick your day carefully - do all this and you will see one! Perhaps not the first time and maybe not the second, but if you've got it right I'll be disappointed if you've not done so by your third attempt!!!

John

Thanks very much for this, John. I'm very keen to try and find one this year and will be following your advice. I'll let you know I get on (and obviously will consult my lawyer if I haven't found one by the 3rd attempt ;) )

Helen

Great stuff John. Another tip I'd add is to closely watch any and all tit flocks you come across in winter in those better woodland habitats. Not only is this entertaining in itself, but a little 'pecker can often latch onto a flock and give really good views.

Helen, Old Sulehay Forest is still the most reliable site around here and most records come from the next two or three months. Bedford Purlieus is excellent for them too but is a huge area and Old Sulehay is much more manageable. I've been most successful at the western end but they are also frequent in the SE quarter.

If you want to try Bedford Purlieus, the area along the small stream running east/west is best - about here.

Hotspur said:
Not woods per se, but askham bog regularly throws up reports, as does castle howard by the garden centre. Also i know of a recent spate of sightings on the east bank of the ouse immediately south of fulford by the A64.

Cheers James. I'll take a trip down there.

John.

brianhstone said:
Great stuff John. Another tip I'd add is to closely watch any and all tit flocks you come across in winter in those better woodland habitats. Not only is this entertaining in itself, but a little 'pecker can often latch onto a flock and give really good views.

Helen, Old Sulehay Forest is still the most reliable site around here and most records come from the next two or three months. Bedford Purlieus is excellent for them too but is a huge area and Old Sulehay is much more manageable. I've been most successful at the western end but they are also frequent in the SE quarter.

If you want to try Bedford Purlieus, the area along the small stream running east/west is best - about here.

Thanks very much, Brian. I was planning on trying BP I've been there before and really like it but I don't know Old Sulehay. I'll look it up and check that one out too.

Helen

He he he, it did say UK birders, but didn't didn't say tips only for seeing them the UK, so sometimes it is easier - male and female pictured below, currently minimum of three on feeders, though suspect it is slightly higher

Attachments

• LesserPecker (feeder) -thumb.jpg
    LesserPecker (feeder) -thumb.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 485
  • Lesser Spotted Woodpecker thumb 10000.jpg
    Lesser Spotted Woodpecker thumb 10000.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
Jos Stratford said:
He he he, it did say UK birders, but didn't didn't say tips only for seeing them the UK, so sometimes it is easier - male and female pictured below, currently minimum of three on feeders, though suspect it is slightly higher

No-one would think this was gloating or anything, would they? ;)

Yours are no good to me anyway - can't put them on my British list.

Helen

Hi,

In UK I would ask for local information where there are easily seen. My guess is they are unusually patchily distributed there.

GSE is rather easy where it exists. In Europe, they are especially fond of forests along marshy streams and lakesides with lots of young dead alder, or multi-aged, protected forest with dead thinner trees and branches. I guess dead young trees are what they like.

In winter you can see them in eg. riverside willows, or even weeds and reeds with tit flocks.

good luck! :)

The British birds are also quite a bit darker than those in Lithuania!

Another thing to listen for is its rapid pecking while feeding. I find them more often by checking out pecking sounds than by hearing them drumming.

brianhstone said:

That's exactly how I found the last couple of birds that I saw in the UK, though I'll be paying close attention to John's tips on the differences in drumming etc. as I have an ambition to add the species to my new garden list!

Welcome back Mr Cantelo by the way.

Stuart

I'd say two thing, once you have found a nice wood,

1. In winter, just keep checking the tit flocks....don't dawdle around scanning each branch and twig of the whole wood, just walk and walk 'til you bump into an area with plenty of bird activity - Tits, Crests, Nuthatches and Treecreepers....that's where the Lesser will be.

2. This is how I've found a lot of Lesser Peckers, in late June/July, walk around and listen for the calls, or should I say 'racket' of young begging Woodpeckers, find the tree the noise is coming from, find a hole, step back and wait for Mummy or Daddy to come in....sometimes it will be a Great Spotted, other times a Lesser, I've had absolutle superb views of them this way. It really does work well.

Hope this helps!

john barclay said:

As mentioned above, ancient woodland is possibly not the place to look around York. LSW like alders alongside rivers which are much more plentiful near you. I saw the bird James referred to near the A64 (my first) and I understand they are seen regularly in alders along the river in the Lower Derwent Valley (although still very difficult) They are also seen in alders along the Aire south of Leeds in most winters, although not this year I believe.

Graham

I was told of somebody hearing a Lesser in Hulne Park last week so AM keeping eyes and ears peeled - though I've yet to find any reports of the species up this way in the bird club reports - but you live in hope! ;)

Fabulous tips on what to look and listen for and best times of year to do so - I've learnt a lot just from these few posts. Cheers folks B :)

NOW comes the hard part.....tracking the wee blighters down :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back