• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bachman's Sparrow in Florida (1 Viewer)

lewis20126

Hi all

I've got a day in Florida - 11th Feb - to go birding; I'm hoping to drive up from Miami to the 3 Lakes area or perhaps Avon Military area (?) to look for Bachman's Sparrow which I missed a few years ago up near Talahasee. Is it too early for them singing? I guess they will be hard to find this early in the season.

Any good sites in C Florida welcome.

Thanks
Alan

lewis20126 said:
Hi all

I've got a day in Florida - 11th Feb - to go birding; I'm hoping to drive up from Miami to the 3 Lakes area or perhaps Avon Military area (?) to look for Bachman's Sparrow which I missed a few years ago up near Talahasee. Is it too early for them singing? I guess they will be hard to find this early in the season.

Thanks
Alan

Anyone ever seen a Bachman's in Florida? I'll settle for the Warbler if the Sparrow is too difficult!

Ta

Alan

lewis20126 said:
Anyone ever seen a Bachman's in Florida? I'll settle for the Warbler if the Sparrow is too difficult!

Ta

Alan

A few years ago I had a couple in Ocala Forest after spending the night at Silver Springs. They live in Long Leaf Pines, I remember stopping at one of those Tourist Information Places at the side of the road Mind you, they had never heard of Bachman's Sparrow, but with a little patience they gave me directions to some Long Leaf Pines.and there they were.

Trev

lewis20126 said:
Hi all

Thanks
Alan

The 3 Lakes WMA is a good site for them, but it is early to be guaranteed: easier when they're singing.
Just up the road from there is Joe Overstreet, where I saw Snail Kite, Caracara and Whooping Cranes last week amongst others.

Another good site for Bachman's is Hal Scott Regional Preserve, which is a bit further from Miami, but I've seen recent pics from there of them.
http://sjr.state.fl.us/programs/outreach/pubs/recguide/

Let me know if you need any other info and good luck!

As Grousemore says, 3 Lakes is noted for these (not that I've ever seen any, since I'm never there at the right time of year).

You will enter 3LWMA from the 523 (Canoe Creek Road), but it's very much better to use the south entrance, normally the second one you come to, but if you're coming up from Miami, it might be the first you see. The area around the entrance itself is a good bet for Bachman's and and also Red-Cockaded Woodpeckers.

lockbreeze926 said:
As Grousemore says, 3 Lakes is noted for these (not that I've ever seen any, since I'm never there at the right time of year).

You will enter 3LWMA from the 523 (Canoe Creek Road), but it's very much better to use the south entrance, normally the second one you come to, but if you're coming up from Miami, it might be the first you see. The area around the entrance itself is a good bet for Bachman's and and also Red-Cockaded Woodpeckers.

Lockbreeze, Grousemore et al. thanks for all the advice - I'll try 3 lakes - a bit worried about access to Avon Park, especially with the current security climate. I'll post a message with the results of my trip - I should be there on Sunday although not back in the UK for ten days or so. Cheers, Alan.

lewis20126 said:
Lockbreeze, Grousemore et al. thanks for all the advice - I'll try 3 lakes - a bit worried about access to Avon Park, especially with the current security climate. I'll post a message with the results of my trip - I should be there on Sunday although not back in the UK for ten days or so. Cheers, Alan.

I got to 3LWMA - Prarie lakes entrance at dawn (Sun 1 week ago) and spent until 10am in this one small area; as I had feared no Bachman's were singing (despite perfect clear conditions) but I eventually found a somewhat skulking individual near the boundary fence (road side). Although preferring to keep to cover it was fairly approachable - a poor photo is attached. Also in this area a group of 5 red-cockaded peckers, brown-capped nuthatches etc

A late morning trip up to Joe Overstreet Road & Lake Kissamee gave 3 intro Whooping Cranes, 2 snail kites, 1 crested caracara, black skimmers etc.

An enjoyable half days birding and then managed to miss my onward flight to Grand Cayman!

Good birding
Alan

Attachments

• bachman's up.JPG
    bachman's up.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 171
lewis20126 said:
I got to 3LWMA - Prarie lakes entrance at dawn (Sun 1 week ago) and spent until 10am in this one small area; as I had feared no Bachman's were singing (despite perfect clear conditions) but I eventually found a somewhat skulking individual near the boundary fence (road side). Although preferring to keep to cover it was fairly approachable - a poor photo is attached. Also in this area a group of 5 red-cockaded peckers, brown-capped nuthatches etc

A late morning trip up to Joe Overstreet Road & Lake Kissamee gave 3 intro Whooping Cranes, 2 snail kites, 1 crested caracara, black skimmers etc.

An enjoyable half days birding and then managed to miss my onward flight to Grand Cayman!

Good birding
Alan

Here's one of the woodies - a bit easy than the IBWO..

Attachments

• 1-recc-up.JPG
    1-recc-up.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 150
lewis20126 said:

Glad you were successful; very underrated site Joe Overstreet.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back