• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

They´re coming! (1 Viewer)

Motmot

Eduardo Amengual
Yesterday I visited the famous Sierra Brava reservoir in Extremadura and among other beauties we found a friendly Great Spotted Cuckoo, the first in 2007. Another one was seen at the same area a week ago.

In wesern Sahara during the last week of December, there was a constant trickle of Swallows heading north across the desert, plus a small movement of Northern and Black-eared Wheatears. Also saw one Great spotted Cuckoo, but this was as likely a winterer as a northbound migrant

Today I saw the first Little Bittern (Ixobrychus minutus) this year in the lake by my house in central Spain.

House Martins and Barn Swallows have been streaming in to the Doñana region for the last two weeks or so, but yesterday I saw the first two Sand Martins and three Red-rumped Swallows.

The trouble is that it has been hissing down with rain for the last two days (today also) and they do not look very happy.

John Butler said:
House Martins and Barn Swallows have been streaming in to the Doñana region for the last two weeks or so, but yesterday I saw the first two Sand Martins and three Red-rumped Swallows.

The trouble is that it has been hissing down with rain for the last two days (today also) and they do not look very happy.

Good news John. Had my first Barn Swallow 1st Feb. I will be looking out for Red-rumped, I must admit to having a 'big' soft spot for this particular swallow. Keep us informed.

Trapicheman said:
I have too, BW. We have at least three pairs nesting close to our house most years. They really are special birds.

Not just the flight and general appearance, but what a song!! Did you get the posting from SEO Malaga Kevin? Antonio Cortes had House Martins back at a colony near him in Malaga on 2nd February!!!!
Peter

www.spanishbirds.com

I am looking forward to the House Martins return to where I live. They are on their way and making their return journey home. They will need to rebuild their nest under the eaves of the house as the bottom has fallen out in the recent stormy weather. This has happened before but they are quick to rebuild on their return.

The water and mud in the field at the back of my house is waiting for them.

It will also be good to see the Swallows and Swifts again soon.

Dean

Cheadle Birder.

Dean.
You are so right and it will be great to have the Swallows and Swifts back.
It's like a breath of fresh air when they arrive, normally the swifts are within a day or two of when I expect them.
regards
Merlin

Dean Powell said:
I am looking forward to the House Martins return to where I live. They are on their way and making their return journey home. They will need to rebuild their nest under the eaves of the house as the bottom has fallen out in the recent stormy weather. This has happened before but they are quick to rebuild on their return.

Dean

Cheadle Birder.

Hirundinidae

It'll be a while yet though, saw my first ones at Rudyard last year on
8th April 2006.
There was still snow on the hills !
There must be better climes.
Best
Mick

Dean Powell said:

Dean

Cheadle Birder.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back