• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottish sea cliffs (1 Viewer)

Egret

I am trying to convince my wife to spend a fortnight exploring some Scottish Islands. This will take some doing as she reckons it's too wet and cold and we would be better off in Botswana. So I need some convincing arguements: if we go up in the middle of July will the seabird cliffs still be busy?

Andy

p.s. like me, she is Scottish which explains her attitude to the weather!

They should still be busy, although if it's any later than mid-July a lot of the auks will start to move off the cliffs and islands. They'll still be around on the sea though.

Andrew Whitehouse said:
They should still be busy, although if it's any later than mid-July a lot of the auks will start to move off the cliffs and islands. They'll still be around on the sea though.

Andrew

Thanks for that.

Andy

Egret said:
I am trying to convince my wife to spend a fortnight exploring some Scottish Islands. This will take some doing as she reckons it's too wet and cold and we would be better off in Botswana. So I need some convincing arguements: if we go up in the middle of July will the seabird cliffs still be busy?

Andy

p.s. like me, she is Scottish which explains her attitude to the weather!

The Isle of Tiree is officially the sunniest place in Britain. Fact! And the nearby Treshnish Isles have some of the most fantastic seabird cliffs in Scotland. Need I say more.

JP

Last edited:
you should consider orkney.Stunning sea cliffs, enormous sea bird colonies, great walks. A wide variety of habitats that are stuffed full of birds from hen harriers to puffins. There's always something to see at any time of year. Not to mention the history and archaeology; its just beautiful, easy and cheap to get to. Just go to john o groats or gills bay for the fastest crossing. Check it out on the web you wont be disappointed. Oh, the weather was lovely last july. You might even find a local guide to get you of the beaten track hint hint

jpoyner said:
The Isle of Tiree is officially the sunniest place in Britain. Fact! And the nearby Treshnish Isles have some of the most fantastic seabird cliffs in Scotland. Need I say more.

JP

That's not quite right John. Tiree averages 1400 hours sun per year http://www.zetnet.co.uk/sigs/weather/scotclim/scot_sun.htm

Many parts of the south coast of England average over 1700. What I do agree on is that particularly in May and June Tiree can be outstanding and very sunny-there are a couple of May records of over 300 hours of sun-less reliable in the height of summer though.......

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back