• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kite optics? (1 Viewer)

scooby

Quick question.
Is the brand 'Kite' (seems to be gaining mid market pre-eminence in France) sold under another name elsewhere?
Thanks

I don't think there's any direct correlation in the UK at any rate : a lot of those models seem very similar in shape and spec to certain models with different brand names here : Bausch and Lomb/Bushnell, RSPB, Celestron, Viking, Opticron etc etc. I guess the way it works is that a company selects a portfolio of models from a handful of Chinese and Japanese factories (with a certain amount of input of their own) and hopefully offers them at a reasonable price with good support. The models I think I recognise are quite well regarded :
http://www.kiteoptics.com/products.php?la=en&subbase=1

normjackson said:
I don't think there's any direct correlation in the UK at any rate : a lot of those models seem very similar in shape and spec to certain models with different brand names here : Bausch and Lomb/Bushnell, RSPB, Celestron, Viking, Opticron etc etc. I guess the way it works is that a company selects a portfolio of models from a handful of Chinese and Japanese factories (with a certain amount of input of their own) and hopefully offers them at a reasonable price with good support. The models I think I recognise are quite well regarded :
http://www.kiteoptics.com/products.php?la=en&subbase=1

Thanks for that.
I've always found brand building to be an interesting topic.
I'm a bit surprised that well established brand names in the mid price range market for optics in the UK (most noteably Opticron), don't seem to travel over the channel.

scooby said:
Quick question.
Is the brand 'Kite' (seems to be gaining mid market pre-eminence in France) sold under another name elsewhere?
Thanks

I have today received an example of Kite 8x42 Birdwatcher which by the swedish dealer is stated to have won an english test for binoculars below 3000 SEK (about 230 GBP). It's in my opinion not a bad binocular, but have it's disadvantages. Maybe I cannot expect more of a budget binocular? I will try the Kite Birdwatcher 8x42 in daylight before decising if I want to keep it.

Excuse my faulty english...

Patric

Need some translation here

{{{{De Kite Forster behoort tot de nieuwe generatie volledig waterdichte dakkantverrekijkers, uitermate helder en scherp beeld tot aan de beeldrand.
De Forster kan omschreven worden als de grote broer van de Pallas. Enkele belangrijke technische innovaties zijn de dakkantprisma’s met fasecorrectie-coating en SHR(Super High Reflection)-coating, de asferische oculairlenzen en de rubberen draai-oogschelpen die de brildrager een optimaal comfort geven.
Dit is een kijker die al verscheidene keren uitblonk in test- en vergelijkingsrapporten door enerzijds zijn kwaliteit en anderzijds zijn knap design.}}}}

Are they saying this binocular has Super High Reflection coating, which is a feature I am not cool about... Oh, it means opposite..

http://www.kiteoptics.com/products.php?la=nl&subbase=1&subsubbase=8

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back