• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking to upgrade my bins (1 Viewer)

PONYRCR

I have a pair of inexpensive ($50 ?) Bushnell's. They are so-so, but I'd like to get a better pair.

As a single mom with two kids I can't justify spending a lot of $$$ for a pair of bins.

I'm looking to spend about $200, which is all I can justify spending.

So for the money (about $200) what are the best bins I can get?? Bushnell or otherwise.

PONYRCR said:
I'm looking to spend about $200, which is all I can justify spending.

So for the money (about $200) what are the best bins I can get?? Bushnell or otherwise.

This is enough to get you a great pair of bins,but perhaps I'd recommend you stear clear of cheap roof prisms.maybe try out something like the nikon extreme porro prisms or similar from swift etc.Not sure exactly which bins are available to you in the states?,however porros should give you a much improved image over rival roof prism types.

Matt

I would tend to agree. If you are looking for the best image quality in your price range then stick with a porro prism model. The previously mentioned Nikon Action Extremes are quite good in this regard but a bit heavy and bulky. The Swift Plover of Celestron Ultima DX might be worthy of consideration. Both have excellent specs but, truthfully, I have not handled either.

The Leupold Yosemite 6x30 has been on the market for some time now and comes very highly recommended for the price. The 8x30s are just hitting the market now. Price for either is at/under $100 and they should both offer image quality to match or beat many of the $300-$400 roofs like the Nikon Monarchs, Bushnell Legends, etc....

Hope this helps.

Bushell has a very nice Porro prism in their "Legend" series for about $140.00 +/-. It is their 8 x 42. It has a very wide FOV of 430' and ER of 15mm; is waterproof and weighs only 24 ounces.

It is important when buying binoculars in your price range that, in order to minimize quality control problems, you try them out first, or deal with a mail order house like Eagle Optics that gives you a 30 day replacement right for any reason. When you do try them out, try several, right out of their boxes, and pick the one you like best. Advise the seller that you will return them if they are not satisfactory.

Good birding,
Bob

I have Action EX, and after 2 yrs, find the large eye cups not as comfortable as any of my roof prisms.

So although porros offer good optics, they appear clumsy to many. So what else is out there? For 250 you could try Nikon Monarch 8x36 roof prisms. They should last many years and do have a warranty. Some other brands, you never know how many years they will be in business.

There are not a whole lot of 7x, but if you like that, 7x35 Nikon Action porros. Or Action EX 7x35.

BUT, no ZOOMS, promise? They are not for birding.

I had forgotten about the 8x42 Legend Porro. They are actually selling for closer to $100 some places. I would love to see what the view looks like through them. I am surprised they are not mentioned more often.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back