• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swar.Digital camera base(for Angled).. (1 Viewer)

imaxfli

...scopes...does anyone own this seemingly well designed base for a digital camera...sells for like $425..it is pictured on back cover of Mar/Apr 2007 WILDBIRD...looks like it flips up so you can instantly use the scope for viewing...does it work with the common 20-60X zoom eyepiece or is a special eyepiece or additional segment needed..it looks like all you need is scope w/eyepiece, above mentioned base, and digital camera??? Or am I wrong?

I've got a DCB which I use with the ATS80HD and 20-60x zoom though occsionally with the 30x as well. With the 30x it's a adapter than the DCA. As long as your camera has a tripod socket then it's ideal to use with compacts with no filter thread. As you say once you've set up your camera for the adapter and scope - every time you use it after that you just swing it out of the way for viewing or back into place to take photos, already lined up.

Hi there,

I also use the DCB with my ATS 80HD scope and quite like it.

The only down side, and its minor in my opinion is that the eye piece cap / cover has to be removed from the screw that keeps it attached to the scope so I am always checking it compulsively to make sure its still there.

Secondly, the eye cup has to be screwed down to raise and lower the DCB but after about 100 times of trying to swing it down with the eye cup up, I remember now.

The Base does add some weight and the eye cup / relief has to be removed entirely to put the base on or take it off, so be prepared to carry a bit more weight unless you want to remove it regularly, assumeing you carry the tripod and scope over your shoulder.

The platform that attaches to the camera via the tripod screw is a little stiff when sliding it on the DCB.

Someone here suggested a silicome armor-all type car interior buffing product. I gave it a try and worked like a charm.

Overall, I am very happy with the base. My tripod is not the best so there is some shake unless I am very stilll or use the auto timer on the camera but that has nothing to do with the base.

Gauze

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back