• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Compact Flash? (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
After so much debate over the fake Sandisk cards available on the market, which fast compact flash card would you suggest? I need a 2Gb card, and while I was completely satisfied with my previous Extreme III, now I got my fingers burnt ... I might change brand or retailer ... any advice?
Thank you,
Max

gmax said:
After so much debate over the fake Sandisk cards available on the market, which fast compact flash card would you suggest? I need a 2Gb card, and while I was completely satisfied with my previous Extreme III, now I got my fingers burnt ... I might change brand or retailer ... any advice?
Thank you,
Max

I have been using Transcend 120X CF cards for some time now in my Canon 350D and have never had any problems. I started with 1GB, but now I am photographing in RAW I use 4GB.

Hi Max

I have a couple of Extreme III cards and am very happy with them - they're fast and so far have been reliable. I also have a couple of I-integral cards (40x), the write time is slightly slower, but other than that they're fine. I do have a Lexar too, but after a bad experience with them (I had two fail in two weeks) I only use it as a back up. As an when I buy any more they will be Sandisks.

If it is a Fake issue it is dificult t make a recommendation because potentially any card can be faked. In six years of using CF cards I have only had one card fail and that was a cheapo 32 meg one.

SW

Don't know if Rob Galbraith's site has ever been mentioned before but worth checking for how various cards perform in different cameras.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
It's rather striking how the speed can vary and once you get to the better DSLRs it is definitely worth getting a fast card. Although not covered on Rob's site I use Transcend 150x SD cards and they are impressive on a USB2 reader as well as in the D80.

Max,

I use Picstop ( http://www.picstop.co.uk/ ) and have found them very efficient with fast delivery to the Continent. SanDisk Extreme III CF 2GB (which I use myself) are currently selling at GBP 38.90. I have had loads of CF, SD and also Micro SD cards (all SanDisk) from them with no problems. I don't reckon it is worth cutting corners to find the cheapest prices.

Colin

Try Picstop or 7Dayshop for non-fakes. Currently using 2MB SandisK Extreme 1V's but just bought a 4MB Extreme 111 and can hardly tell the difference in speed. Both are ultra rapid in my D2Xs.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back