• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL with HD lenses anytime soon? (1 Viewer)

Otto McDiesel

I wonder when will the next generation of ELs show up. Some HD objectives would be nice. Maybe they will even offer upgrades to non-HD models, like they did with the original focuser of the 8.5x42.

I don't think they have lost enough market share yet to make it a priority. If the FLs had completely ruined sales of any non-HD premium models they would've paid more attention to bringing this to reality more quickly. I think their biggest competitor, in their eyes, is the Ultravid. They are fighting for the cachet as a luxury item as much as they are as an optical device.

HD Lenses

Are these the next best thing, probably not imo. If they are to be/were, why aren't the new KOWA roof prisms with PROMINAR/ED glass making positive headlines and outselling the other big guns (are they available?). Also there must be a cost premium to pay and I don't believe many UK birdwatchers would want to pay around £1250 plus for a high performance 8 x 42 r/p.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back