• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scilly in August (1 Viewer)

JRE

It's official! I'm going to the Isles of Scilly! Late August, for a week, from the 23rd. My family and I will be camping at The Garrison, St Mary's. So what should I be looking for, where, and how?

Thanks,
Jyothi

N.J.Smith said:
There is a good playground in the campsite, but the beaches are nice - porthloo has some nice rocks to put your sand castles on. Don't sulk when the grown ups are going round the museums - its all part of the holiday.

Remarkable.

Make sure you get on a pelagic or two, late august is a good time for large shearwaters, possibly Wilsons Petrel and if you're incredibly lucky Feas Petrel. Check the sightings board behind the Pilots Gig for dates and times. Rare landbirds could turn up anywhere, just walk all over the islands covering as much ground and variety of habitats as possible. Its an ideal time of year for Buff breasted Sandpiper so check the golf course as frequently as possible. The 'wet areas' like Lower Moors and Porthellick Pool are usually better first thing in the morning before any waders that have dropped in overnight have had the chance to clear off.

Basically it's a very underrated time of year on Scilly so be out birding as much as possible and expect anything.

joe

Hi,

I camped on the Garrison campsite last summer. The weather was great but there were loads of earwings. At any point there must have been 50 in the tent and loads made it home also in the luggage. Perhaps we just camped on a nest of them!

Jamie

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back