• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid Prices (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Just been parusing some prices for ultravids,now the 7x42 models appear to cost more than the 8x42's?

No way would I pay £989 for 7x42 ultravids when the swaro slc 7x42 can be had for £659..I aint that fussed!!

Hey leica..upgrade binoculars-not prices :C

Matt

there was a recent price increase on Leica bins some still have stock of some models at the old prices... I guess the price on the 7x42 was the new price and the 8x42s was the old price. If you really want 7x42 Ultravids I'll be selling mine shortly (just getting them service by Leica first) as I need the money :(

postcardcv said:
there was a recent price increase on Leica bins some still have stock of some models at the old prices... I guess the price on the 7x42 was the new price and the 8x42s was the old price. If you really want 7x42 Ultravids I'll be selling mine shortly (just getting them service by Leica first) as I need the money :(

I bought a new pair of 8x42's off ebay for a knockdown price and I was amazed at how good they were.

postcardcv said:

That explains it,

btw..

Very sorry you're having to part with your ultravids Pete,at the moment I'm
hankering after a pair of secondhand 7x42 slc's-thats if they haven't been
sold by the time I have the deposit saved.

Will you be going back to your 8x32 trinovids?,still a very fine little bin!!

Matt

Keep your eyes open and you still might find a discontinued Leica 7 x 42 BN Trinovid laying around somewhere. They are getting harder to find but were selling for $900.00 US funds recently. Once they got rid of the 7 x 42 Trinovids Leica was able to stick it to the 7x fans. How much more can a 7x eyepiece cost than an 8x? The only difference between the 7 x 42's and the 8 x 42's are the oculars.

Bob

Last edited:
ceasar said:
Keep your eyes open and you still might find a discontinued Leica 7 x 42 BN Trinovid laying around somewhere. They are getting harder to find but were selling for $900.00 US funds recently. Once they got rid of the 7 x 42 Trinovids Leica was able to stick it to the 7x fans. How much more can a 7x eyepiece cost than an 8x? The only difference between the 7 x 42's and the 8 x 42's are the oculars.

Bob
Bob,

The 7X42 Ultravid has 8 lens elements per side; the 8X42 Ultravid has 9 elements per side. I believe it was the same with the corresponding Trinovid models.

I don't think there was enough interest in 7X for Leica to maintain two models and I can't believe it's cost effective to maintain both Trinovid and Ultravid production lines. Time will tell.

As it is, I'm happy with my 7X42 Ultravid, but then I paid $1150 for it, not $1695, the current selling price. As sub $1000 binoculars continue to improve, I think fewer people will be willing to pay these stratospheric prices.

John

John Traynor said:
They have several demo SLC's for sale. The SLC has been replaced with the SLCnew model.

That is what i meant. I bought a SLCneu for myself, for slightly improved coatings. But the color scheme (mono) on the older SLC is nicer.

Just noticed warehouse express have recently bumped up the price of leica trinovid 8x42's - now £829 :eek!:

Those flogging secondhand leicas must be chuffed tho!!, out of financial necessity my current bin of choice is now the swarovski slc 7x42!!

Matt

Last edited:
hi. speaking of warehouse express have you checked out the bargain basement section. just last recently got a ex demo trinovid 10*42 bn in green armour , full passport and warranty , in new condition for £610.

As it is, I'm happy with my 7X42 Ultravid, but then I paid $1150 for it, not $1695, the current selling price. As sub $1000 binoculars continue to improve, I think fewer people will be willing to pay these stratospheric prices.

I was shocked when I recently looked at UK prices. I guess they charge what the market will stand, and Leica do have a premium reputation.

Another price increase!

In November 2006 the Ultravid 10x32 was $1650 it is now $1795
In Novemebr 2006 the Ultravid 10X42 was $1799 and it is now $1995

Above prices are at B&H

Another price increase!

In November 2006 the Ultravid 10x32 was $1650 it is now $1795
In Novemebr 2006 the Ultravid 10X42 was $1799 and it is now $1995

Above prices are at B&H

The Ultravid 10x25 has shown an overall increase of more than 40 percent over a bit more than two years, judging from the prices at EO. It is now $699 there. But still relatively cheap considering the superb quality. Well, maybe we should not rave that much about some models; we're going to suffer for it financially in the long run, it seems.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back