PDA

View Full Version : Hampshire

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

teamsaint
Monday 12th October 2009, 17:13
The last one was in 1989 at Pennington so we were certainly due one.

No sign this morning however, so hopefully it will turn up somewhere else soon.

Deer Stalker
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 17:11
Firecrest singing at Millyford Bridge the other day.

Gwaihir
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 17:44
Keyhaven

Quite a few people there today, sunshine obviously brought them out including me,

first visit for a while. Quite a lot of activity although nothing special. Heron, little egret, brent geese (50), common sandpiper, redshank, curlew, black tailed godwit (seemed like millions), oystercatchers, turnstones, grey plover, little stint?, BH gulls, heard warbler but couldnt see it. Am bound to have forgotten something else as well.

I did enjoy it though,

oh yes I knew i had forgotten something, there was also a ruff

Wells-man
Tuesday 27th October 2009, 13:42
Went to Warsash on monday (26th). In amongst a large flock of Canadas and a few 'domestic' geese, there was a goose neither I nor my son nor the passing volunteer worker for the area could identify.

It was a uniform collared dove-grey colour, no stripes or different underbelly etc, with a yellow/white head 'mohican' strip coming down into the bill, which I think was black at the tip. Pink legs/feet. Looked like it had black wing tips, but didn't fly while I was watching. Similar size to a Canada , bit more tail perhaps, quite assertive!

It was on one of the islands on the lagoon that you normally watch from the seat that has been taken away!

Anyone else seen it? Can anyone identify it for me please? It didn't fit any of the usual goose pictures. Colouration was far too uniform for a greylag or a pink-footed for example, even without the head stripe. Some sort of hybrid? Or am I missing something obvious?

K.

Richard Ford
Tuesday 27th October 2009, 14:06
Hello

Sounds very much like the escaped Cape Barren Goose that has been knocking around the area and is more often seen a Tichfield i think. see this pic here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cape_Barren_Goose_edit1.jpg

Wells-man
Tuesday 27th October 2009, 16:23
Hello

Sounds very much like the escaped Cape Barren Goose that has been knocking around the area and is more often seen a Tichfield i think. see this pic here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cape_Barren_Goose_edit1.jpg

That is indeed it. Thanks.

(Bit disappointed I've not found a previously unknown species of goose!) ;)

K.

Nikon_Wozz
Friday 30th October 2009, 18:46
Hi,

I'm new to birding and was interested to read the Cape Barren goose thread.

I was out near Warsash (possibly at the same scrape unless I have my location wrong!) on the 17th Oct and saw what looked like an Egyptian goose with the Canada's. It was my first visit to that area and wondered if it was a regular there?

Cheers,

Warren

John P
Friday 30th October 2009, 22:40
Hi,

I'm new to birding and was interested to read the Cape Barren goose thread.

I was out near Warsash (possibly at the same scrape unless I have my location wrong!) on the 17th Oct and saw what looked like an Egyptian goose with the Canada's. It was my first visit to that area and wondered if it was a regular there?

Cheers,

Warren

There was an Egyptian Goose reported at Warsash on the 8th, 21st, 24th and 26th, three at Titchfield on the 15th and two at Brownwich on the 15th, all October.

See :- Hampshire Bird News (http://www.goingbirding.co.uk/hants/birdnews.asp)

Wells-man
Monday 9th November 2009, 15:31
Had a cracking day at Keyhaven on Saturday. Nothing extraordinary to report, but wanted to 'bump' this thread to keep it going. Most of the usual birds: Brent (and Canada of course) geese, wigeon, teal, redshank, black-headed gulls, all in large numbers. Also quite a few little egrets, oyster-catchers, grey herons, turnstones, curlews and little grebe, plus a linnet showing nicely on the gorse. Only a few godwits though, in contrast to earlier reports.

The canadas flew over from further inland in a very large flock. Sounded as if put up en masse by gunfire. Does anyone shoot in that area? Or was it more likely an automatic bird-scarer on a farm?

Weather was just fantastic in the morning, sun shining on the water and lovely fresh breeze; birds were unusually cooperative in standing still when viewed, and pub lunch at The Gun was acceptable (though not brilliant). Well worth the drive down from deepest northern Hampshire where I live.

And then to top it all, back home to find a kestrel sitting on a tree in my garden, posing, waiting for its photo to be taken.

K.

Kits
Sunday 15th November 2009, 17:07
Visited Keyhaven today on the back of your post, Ken. Fabulous breezy day and very long walk. Saw lots of Little Egrets, Black Headed Gulls, Canada Geese, Brent Geese, Oyster Catchers, Redshank, Wigeon, Curlew, one Little Grebe a wren and a pied wagtail. Had a okayish lunch at The Gun (have had better!). And then back home to deepest North Hampshire for us too.

Kits
Sunday 15th November 2009, 17:55
See here for photos from today. (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1646262#post1646262)

scary-canary
Sunday 15th November 2009, 18:31
See here for photos from today. (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1646262#post1646262)

It says i can't see this page because i don't have the right access or authorization or whatever... what am I doing wrong?

scary-canary, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

John P
Sunday 15th November 2009, 18:50
It says i can't see this page because i don't have the right access or authorization or whatever... what am I doing wrong?

It's posted in the *ex-beeb* forum. You have to opt in to see that part of the forum the same as you do with *Ruffled Feathers*, (from your control panel).

John P
Sunday 15th November 2009, 19:14
Visited Keyhaven today on the back of your post, Ken. Fabulous breezy day and very long walk. Saw lots of Little Egrets, Black Headed Gulls, Canada Geese, Brent Geese, Oyster Catchers, Redshank, Wigeon, Curlew, one Little Grebe a wren and a pied wagtail. Had a okayish lunch at The Gun (have had better!). And then back home to deepest North Hampshire for us too.

My local patch; I was there with my better half for a while this morning.

It's always windy btw, you need to dress one season warmer than you think if you're going to be there for any length of time.

The Gun gets variable reviews, but enough bad ones (particularly in relation to the civility of the staff and management) for me to avoid the place. Try The Chequers, (SZ323935), free parking and access to Oxey Marsh/Moses Dock area is just down the road.

Linnets were everywhere around the saltmarsh today, and plenty of waders seeing out the tide out on the few high spots.

We'd be happy to give you a guided tour sometime.

Kits
Monday 16th November 2009, 10:08
Oh thanks, John! That is kind. We did see lots of birders out and about, and I said to OH that I get this urge to say "Birdforum.net" to them just to see if they are people from here! :king:

I have made a note of The Chequers for next time. :t:

skatebirder
Saturday 21st November 2009, 14:41
Hampshire seems to be doing well for birds at the moment, even this late in the year. There are Great Northern and Black-Throated Divers in Southampton and a very nice Grey Phalarope at Badminston. Not much in the way of interesting gulls though - perhaps it's too late in November.
Have fun in the wind and the rain!
David

teamsaint
Sunday 22nd November 2009, 15:08
Been a quiet autumn overall I would say, one day Long-billed Dowitcher and Olive-backed Pipit being the rarest we have had.

But good at the moment with the Phalarope, divers, Shore Lark, Spotted Sandpiper and Leach's Petrel all being seen recently.

stevetb
Sunday 22nd November 2009, 19:16
But good at the moment with the Phalarope, divers, Shore Lark, Spotted Sandpiper and Leach's Petrel all being seen recently.

The last three birds being found by the same birder! I tried for the lark, but with no success.

David, has the black throat been seen recently? This year could be another productive one for soton water.

dwallace
Sunday 22nd November 2009, 21:39
Spotted Sandpiper was only a possible and I think you'd have had to be in the right place at the right time to see either the Shore Larks or the Leach's Petrel. Still, the Phalarope's been very obliging.
A Black-Throated Diver was seen off Hook Links yesterday morning.

Dave W

skatebirder
Monday 23rd November 2009, 08:18
David, has the black throat been seen recently? This year could be another productive one for soton water.

It was in the Southampton area on Friday, then one at Hook at the weekend. I haven't seen one since the bird a month ago at Mayflower Park - my latest diver was a Great Northern at Weston Shore.
Should be worth a trip to Hythe Marina one day this week.

David

Tri-Counties Birder
Wednesday 25th November 2009, 11:44
Can anyone enlighten me on the story of this Spotted Sandpiper at Brook?

Has anyone been to see it? Its been seen for last few days, but still a possible. I can't find any discussions at all on any Hants birding sites.

Sean

Tri-Counties Birder
Wednesday 25th November 2009, 11:47
Not much in the way of interesting gulls though - perhaps it's too late in November.
David

I don't know about that. Perhaps for autumn passage birds, but its too early for winter Glaucs and Icelands.

teamsaint
Wednesday 25th November 2009, 17:56
Sean, the expert opinion has been has been slightly divided but Simon Ingram posted on hoslist today that after seeing it again he thinks it might be a Spotted. When he first saw it he thought it was a Common so it is obviously a confusing bird. Nigel Jones who was there at the same time says "it ticks more boxes for Spotted than Common". More photos later apparently so hopefully it will be confirmed.

Leach's Petrels still in small numbers around Dorset and the SW (especially the Severn) and two in Hants today. Hopefully more of this very miserable weather over the weekend will give us a few more in our area.

Tri-Counties Birder
Thursday 26th November 2009, 10:37
Thanks Tom,

It has now been confirmed on Birdguides.

I'm on my way.

Sean

Tri-Counties Birder
Thursday 26th November 2009, 17:03
A wonderful little bird.

It was showing well on the lawn north of the first bridge you come to as you walk north from 'stoneymarsh' car park.

Sean

cwpbirder
Saturday 28th November 2009, 07:46
Hopefully it's still there today.....

John P
Saturday 28th November 2009, 10:48
Spotted sandpiper reported as being present at first light this this morning.

This afternoon will do for me.

Anyone know where the 40,000 Redwings are roosting?

skatebirder
Saturday 28th November 2009, 14:25
This should never happen, but: two life ticks on consecutive days for me. In November. In Hampshire!!

The Spotted Sandpiper was nice, but this morning's stunning views of Leach's Petrel from Milford on Sea was even better. They (2 birds) were very close in, close enough for perfect views through the bins (we had to put our scopes down because they were too close). Anyone who hasn't seen Leach's Petrel - now's the time to go looking while the winds are still blowing them in. The bad thing about all this is that most of the petrels appear to succumb to the local gulls, but I guess there's nothing we can do about that.

David

teamsaint
Saturday 28th November 2009, 14:38
Jammy b****r ;)

Saw that the weather this morning looked good for petrels put went to see the Sandpiper instead. It will probably overwinter now and I will feel even more stupid.

John P
Sunday 29th November 2009, 15:58
Anyone who hasn't seen Leach's Petrel - now's the time to go looking while the winds are still blowing them in. The bad thing about all this is that most of the petrels appear to succumb to the local gulls, but I guess there's nothing we can do about that.

David

Up to ten Leach's lingering at Milford this morning - didn't see any gull problems.

stevetb
Sunday 29th November 2009, 16:07
I was very pleased to see one in Southampton Water at about half 3, as well as a peregrine, 2 GN divers and 5 + RB mergansers within the space of half an hour.

skatebirder
Sunday 29th November 2009, 16:58
I was very pleased to see one in Southampton Water at about half 3, as well as a peregrine, 2 GN divers and 5 + RB mergansers within the space of half an hour.

Good for you Steve!

How about you, Teamsaint, did you get to see any today?

David (on a non-birding day, apart from a Blackcap in the garden).

pdwinter
Monday 30th November 2009, 09:38

Hi Steve, I noticed you said 'relative shelter of the marina' on hoslist - where did you find to stand out of the wind/rain!? I was there about 3.30 and it was pitch black, raining heavily and my Leica 8x20s weren't quite up to it ;)

Had good views of the sum plum GND from Weston in the morning - really smart bird.

Cheers

stevetb
Monday 30th November 2009, 18:44
Hi Paul,

I was up the end towards the lock gates, it's a little more sheltered there. What I meant was that it was easier to view there than my experience of Milford, with the strong wind and salt spray in your face!

It was pretty dark though - when that flash of lightening came, I decided to leave!

pdwinter
Monday 30th November 2009, 20:02
Hi Paul,

I was up the end towards the lock gates, it's a little more sheltered there. What I meant was that it was easier to view there than my experience of Milford, with the strong wind and salt spray in your face!

It was pretty dark though - when that flash of lightening came, I decided to leave!

You don't have the beach huts in your way at Hythe either! Once the storms have died down there'll probably be more to see over the winter in Southampton Water than at Milford (perhaps a hopeful rather than realistic statement!)

Cheers, Paul

teamsaint
Monday 30th November 2009, 21:04
How about you, Teamsaint, did you get to see any today?

No... :C

It was a visiting relatives day for me so no chance of getting anywhere. There's always next year ;)

Or I could just go to St Kilda, slightly less economical though! ;)

bren-escape
Saturday 5th December 2009, 13:48
Popped to Blashford this morning, good sightings of:

Brambling - male
Redpoll
Siskin
Redwing
Bullfinch
Chiffchaff

Feeders at woodland hide were busy after the frost in the week.

stevetb
Saturday 5th December 2009, 19:14
Hi all,
Had a bit of a shock at Pennington today when I was told there was a Little auk around!!! I managed to see it, plus a slav grebe, peregrine mergansers and great views of the grey phalarope.

John P
Saturday 12th December 2009, 21:07
Impressive Starling display this evening, probably the best I've seen at Keyhaven, well over 5000 birds on show for about 30 minutes with two Marsh Harriers in close attendance before going to roost in the reeds.

teamsaint
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 13:35
All gone a bit quiet round these parts so I thought I would spice things up with a few mouth wateringly exciting observations. ;)

31/12
Kingfisher, Water Rail, Little Egrets, Chiffchaff etc at Stockbridge Common.

1/1
2 Bramblings Bramshaw Telegraph
Managed half an hour in Tern hide at dusk. No scope so not much seen but several thousand LBBGs, a Green Sandpiper and some Goosanders

3 Blackcaps in the garden

Anyone else seen much? Lots being reported in our area recently.

John P
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 18:08
All gone a bit quiet round these parts ;)

I've been thinking of holding a seance.

Tri-Counties Birder
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 18:50
Although not based in Hants, I have done a fair bit of Hampshire birding the last few days:

3/1: Keyhaven: 2 Bearded Tit and a Chiffchaff at Butts Lagoon, Raven over, Black-necked Grebe and 4 Avocet off Oxey Marsh, 3 Water Pipit on Fishtail Lagoon.
Blackwater Arb: 6 Hawfinches in at dusk, plus Brambling and Marsh Tit

4/1: Blashford Lakes: Peregrine mobbing Bittern (see my thread 'Stunning Peregrine' in 'My Birding Day' forum), 10 Goosander, Green Sandpiper, 6 Yellow-legged Gull, no sign of Caspian, 10 Bewick's on Ibsley Meadows.

Gwaihir
Friday 8th January 2010, 20:44
Had another first in my rather small back garden in Romsey, A very nice looking Redwing popped in to say hello for a couple of minutes and then flew off. Never seen one before so wasnt sure what it was at first. Good job I had Collins to rely on and a thread on here in the birds and birding forum, confirmed what it was. Apparently there are loads around this year so fairly common but its a first for me, so feeling rather chuffed.
Kind regards
Simon

John P
Friday 8th January 2010, 21:08
I've not had Redwing or Fieldfare in my garden for some years now, but I've been and bought some cheapo apples today and am hoping to attract some soon.

Had one male Blackcap yesterday, which is the first one since November but strangely the Siskins all disappeared when the really cold weather started.

Lots of Snipe feeding very close to the road at Avon Causeway today, no sign yet (for me) of the Bittern reported there on Monday.

John P
Saturday 9th January 2010, 08:55
I've not had Redwing or Fieldfare in my garden for some years now, but I've been and bought some cheapo apples today and am hoping to attract some soon.

That was quick; one Fieldfare scoffing apples this morning. :t:

Photo now added.

John P
Saturday 9th January 2010, 17:24
That was quick; one Fieldfare scoffing apples this morning. :t:

Anyone got any sugar beet? A Pinkfoot or three would make a good garden tick! ;)

Very large flock of Skylark in fields N of Sopley cemetery this afternoon, and several Snipe by the river, flushed a Woodcock whilst walking along public footpath near Bransgore a little later.

teamsaint
Saturday 9th January 2010, 19:05
Been digging out apples from under the snow and trying to defrost them as well as providing a plentiful supply of raisins but no Fieldfares yet just an increase in Blackbirds and Song Thrushes. We have had 3 Blackcaps since Christmas.

Had a good afternoon walk at Winnall Moors this afternoon. Six Water Rails, a Jack Snipe, a Snipe, a Woodcock, Cetti's Warbler and close views of a big Fox. Unfortunately most of these were flushed from beside the paths but the Woodcock was seen flying up the valley at tree height (may have been flushed by someone else) and 2 of the Water Rails gave good views on the path in front.

skatebirder
Sunday 10th January 2010, 08:06
We've had a couple of Fieldfares in the bushes around our garden, but they ignored the apple I put out. A Blackbird liked the grapes I put on the lawn, and a male Blackcap is eating the seeds and fat balls on the birdtable - and having a scrap with a House Sparrow. There's a lot more fighting going on at the moment: Blackbirds, Robins, House Sparrows, Pigeons all having a go at each other rather than getting on with the food I put out for them.

Wells-man
Monday 18th January 2010, 17:17
Went down to Warsash on Sunday. Lovely day, but probably the quietest birding day I've ever had there. The tide was the highest I've ever seen there which may well be related, but usually when the tide is in there is a lot to see on the lagoon.

Usual stuff ... loads of lapwing, some ringed plovers, 4 common gulls amongst the black-headed, some very pretty teal, wigeon, lots of shelduck.

There was a huge flight of geese in the distance doing a pretty good impression of a starling 'cloud', too far away to be certain but presumably only Canadas, which raises the question; why do we get so many Brent at Farlington, but so few at Warsash only a short distance away? Surely the habitat isn't so different?

Anyway it was just a relief to actually be able to get out. Couldn't move my car off my drive for the best part of week---- a rear-wheel drive car with all the weight at the front, so rear wheels just spun on ice. Maybe the Warsash birds had the same attitude -- a fine day at last, so we can go out somewhere for the day ;)

K.

pdwinter
Monday 18th January 2010, 20:45
There was a huge flight of geese in the distance doing a pretty good impression of a starling 'cloud', too far away to be certain but presumably only Canadas, which raises the question; why do we get so many Brent at Farlington, but so few at Warsash only a short distance away? Surely the habitat isn't so different?
K.

They might well have been Brent - on http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/amigo there's a pic of part of a flock of 600 DB Brent at Hook Links on Sunday

Paul

Wells-man
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 08:08
They might well have been Brent - on http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/amigo there's a pic of part of a flock of 600 DB Brent at Hook Links on Sunday

Paul

Well maybe they were then.

Blimey - there are some cracking pictures on that blog!

k.

JohnnyH
Sunday 31st January 2010, 18:38
Spent the afternoon at the Oysterbeds today, at least 5 Black Necked Grebe in Langstone Channel, poss had the Female type velvet Scoter but too distant to clinch it. Nice few hours though, great views of the wader gathering at high tide on the shingle banks.

John.

JohnnyH
Sunday 31st January 2010, 18:41
Oops forgot to mention on last post, anyone seen the Hawfinches that have been reported at Testwood Lakes & would care to elaborate in terms of no's, time etc??

Cheers,

John.

John P
Sunday 31st January 2010, 19:30
Have a look on Bird News/Hampshire, (http://www.goingbirding.co.uk/hants/birdnews.asp) just do a search for Hawfinch, (scroll down and apply whatever dates you want). You may have to register but it's free and harmless.

I thought I'd had quite a good day at Keyhaven today with 2 Scaup, Egyptian Goose, a 3.00 pm Barn Owl and long close views of Bearded tits plus all the usual stuff only to get home and check Birdguides which showed me 2 Smew on Butts Lagoon - - I'd just come from there.:-C

JohnnyH
Sunday 31st January 2010, 20:00
Cheers for that John.

John

pdwinter
Monday 1st February 2010, 09:45
Hi John

It was on my third visit yesterday I connected with them - 12:08 when 10 flew in to the tree tops.

I think they are probably there most of the day but they show for a while and then drop down to feed for a lot longer while. On a sunny day visibility will be not too good PM which is probably why most sightings have been reported up to 1pm.

If you look at the reserve leaflet http://www.hwt.org.uk/data/files/reserves/08041120testwood20leaflet20sb.pdf - the birds show in the trees to the left of the visitor centre best viewed from about 1/2 way across the field - any closer and the near trees start obstructing the views of the more distant ones.

HTH

Paul
Oops forgot to mention on last post, anyone seen the Hawfinches that have been reported at Testwood Lakes & would care to elaborate in terms of no's, time etc??

Cheers,

John.

JohnnyH
Monday 1st February 2010, 18:13
Thanks a lot Paul, I'll give it a go soon.

Cheers,

John.

JohnnyH
Friday 5th February 2010, 14:33
Popped down to Testwood today & got 2 Hawfinches after a 2 & half hour vigil. They came in around 12:30 & showed well but briefly in the tree tops near the visitor centre as per Paul's directions.

Cheers,

John.

pdwinter
Saturday 6th February 2010, 11:31
Glad you saw them, John. There's going to be a work party thinning the copse later in Feb so better for anyone else to go sooner rather than later!

cwpbirder
Sunday 21st February 2010, 22:44
A brief foray into Hampshire yesterday - no sign of the Ring-billed Gull 11-12 noon at Walpole Park, Gosport, but an ad winter Mediterranean Gull there. 14 Purple Sandpipers showed well at Southsea Castle early afternoon, with a couple of Rock Pipits also present. The 3 Velvet Scoters were still west of Hillhead mid-afternoon.

pe'rigin
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 11:30
A brief walk around Northney (Hayling), accounted for 57 species.

10 Mediterranean Gulls
2 Bar tailed
2 Knot
1 Peregrine
3 Goldeneye
2 Buzzards
2 Green Woodpeckers
1 Greenshank

SJPortugal
Sunday 14th March 2010, 22:34
Had great views of the Great Grey Shrike at Burley today. Nice spot, also a Hen Harrier, Crossbills and male Peregrine. Displaying Goshawks in the general area too.

Wells-man
Thursday 1st April 2010, 12:11
Haven't visited this forum for while. It seems to have gone very quiet?

Anyway...

They say one doesn't make a summer, but there was a single swallow sitting serenely on the power lines outside my front door this morning. First I've seen this year. Many about elsewhere?

K.

Tri-Counties Birder
Thursday 1st April 2010, 12:55
Haven't visited this forum for while. It seems to have gone very quiet?

Anyway...

They say one doesn't make a summer, but there was a single swallow sitting serenely on the power lines outside my front door this morning. First I've seen this year. Many about elsewhere?

K.

At Fleet Pond yesterday was 20-30, as well as 30 Sand Martin and a House Martin.

Wells-man
Thursday 1st April 2010, 12:57
At Fleet Pond yesterday was 20-30, as well as 30 Sand Martin and a House Martin.

You win! Summer has clearly arrived in Fleet then! ;)

K.

teamsaint
Thursday 1st April 2010, 13:08
About 20 Swallows at Blashford on Tuesday and 2 at Baddesley Common today

JohnnyH
Thursday 1st April 2010, 13:54

And an Alpine Swift till mid afternoon!

John.

Tri-Counties Birder
Thursday 1st April 2010, 19:53
And an Alpine Swift till mid afternoon!

John.

Yes, but unfortunately myself, and everybody else looking, were watching the wrong pond. The finder thought the small pond North of the railway was Fleet Pond!

Allan Hobbs
Monday 12th April 2010, 20:04
Hi everyone.
we made our first trip to Farlington Marshes yesterday and had a great time.

One thing we noticed was the board by the hut which says that Bearded Tits are found there. Are they common and what is the best time to find them?

Thanks
Allan

dwallace
Monday 12th April 2010, 22:32
Hi Allan,

Bearded Tits are described in the Hampshire Bird Report as "Scarce residents,passage migrants and winter visitors." As far as I know they can be found at Farlington all year round but are never guaranteed. I don't bird there very often but seem to recall that crisp, sunny autumn and winter days are best. You do, of course, have the advantage of looking down into the reeds from the main path overlooking the lagoon.

Regards

Dave W

skatebirder
Tuesday 13th April 2010, 12:56
Bearded Tits are best found in the morning, on a sunny, windless day (so not this week!). Listen out for their "pinging" calls - they are easier to find by sound than by sight. I've seen them from the sea wall, in the reeds by the lagoon, but I think they could be anywhere in the reedbed.
David

Allan Hobbs
Tuesday 13th April 2010, 19:24
Thanks both for the info. We were thinking that we would only be able to visit a couple of times a year, but if there is a chance of a BT then we might visit more often. I'll let you know if we are lucky.

Thanks again
Allan

pdwinter
Tuesday 13th April 2010, 20:26
To see Bearded Tits at Farlington I would go on a sunny day in the last two weeks of September (their peak dispersal period) and probably concentrate on the lagoon - if the Beardies don't show then at least there will be a variety of wader species (around high tide).

HTH

Allan Hobbs
Wednesday 14th April 2010, 20:16
To see Bearded Tits at Farlington I would go on a sunny day in the last two weeks of September (their peak dispersal period) and probably concentrate on the lagoon - if the Beardies don't show then at least there will be a variety of wader species (around high tide).

HTH

Thanks Paul

Allan

Dint See It
Tuesday 1st June 2010, 19:02
How do? I'm a yorkie and i'm planning a visit to the new forest. Could anyone give me advice where to look for dartford warbler, nightjar, lesser spotted woodpecker and any other scarce/rare birds in the area, don't mind travelling to far to get them. Thanks in advance!

skatebirder
Tuesday 1st June 2010, 19:28
Best for most of these is the Shatterford/Denny Wood area (next to Beaulieu Road Station) The Shatterford Car Park is at approx grid ref SU349063 and the car park is open to allow you to stay late to listen for Owls/Nightjars/Woodcock
Other possibilities in the area include Crossbills, Hawfinch, Wood Warbler, Firecrest...

hollis_f
Wednesday 14th July 2010, 10:42
I'm staying at The Beaulieu on Friday night. I've been to Shatterford once before, so I know the area a little. Where's the best places for Woodcock (I'd guess looking down the valley towards the bog)?

Also, I'd love to actually see Wood Warblers. When I leave in the morning I can stop off at one place - would you recommend Denny's Wood or Eyeworth - or somewhere else?

skatebirder
Wednesday 14th July 2010, 11:13
I'm staying at The Beaulieu on Friday night. I've been to Shatterford once before, so I know the area a little. Where's the best places for Woodcock (I'd guess looking down the valley towards the bog)?

Also, I'd love to actually see Wood Warblers. When I leave in the morning I can stop off at one place - would you recommend Denny's Wood or Eyeworth - or somewhere else?

Woodcocks can sometimes be heard and seen along the edge of Denny Wood/Denny Lodge Inclosure - walk along the track south from the Shatterford Car Park until you get close to the woodland. Wood Warblers are in Denny Wood (west of Shatterford), but might be elusive at this time of year. Eyeworth is good for Marsh Tits and Mandarins, but I don't think of it as a Wood Warbler site (of course I could be wrong)
Good luck!

David

John P
Thursday 19th August 2010, 07:19
Glossy Ibis in Hampshire three years running now, has anyone seen them all?

Wells-man
Monday 23rd August 2010, 08:40
Blimey, this thead has almost died out hasn't it?

In an attempt to revive.....

Had a good morning at Farlington Marshes on Sunday playing with our new 'scope. Whitethroat, reed warbler, usual ducks and waders, plus a possible curlew sandpiper and a dunlin that gave quite a good impression of a stint for a while ;)

Osprey sitting on post out in the harbour and a peregrine on the ground way out on the land 'arm' on the Hayling side of Langstone ..was sitting on a pigeon or similar, but was a long way off even for the new scope!

Then the heavens opened and we got drenched.

K.

John P
Wednesday 25th August 2010, 21:39
Glossy Ibis in Hampshire three years running now, has anyone seen them all?

Just me then! |:d|

Blimey, this thead has almost died out hasn't it?

Yes, we're not like that garrulous lot in Norfolk. ;)

John P
Saturday 28th August 2010, 17:58
A big (for Keyhaven) fall of Wheatear today, 30 counted around the marsh, along with a good number of Whinchat, (I had five on one bramble branch), several Redstarts too, and two BN Grebes in the Solent, but unfortunately the Wryneck didn't show again after it was seen early this morning.

John P
Sunday 29th August 2010, 20:45
Another possible Wryneck reported at Barton-on-Sea (on Saturday afternoon), no sign of it on Sunday morning, and no other birders looking while I was there.

A quick trip to Keyhaven in between Wrynecking and the Belgian Grand Prix saw much reduced Wheatear numbers, just three this morning from where I had eight in one scope view yesterday.

pdwinter
Sunday 29th August 2010, 21:35
Another possible Wryneck reported at Barton-on-Sea (on Saturday afternoon), no sign of it on Sunday morning, and no other birders looking while I was there.

A quick trip to Keyhaven in between Wrynecking and the Belgian Grand Prix saw much reduced Wheatear numbers, just three this morning from where I had eight in one scope view yesterday.

At least 9 Wheatears this afternoon - 7 at Iley Point. Not much else though!

John P
Monday 30th August 2010, 19:55
Couldn't find your Curlew Sands Paul, despite checking Butts, Fishtail and Keyhaven Lagoons.

I did find eight Yellow Wags with the cattle near Oxey Barn, inc one nice bright male.

pdwinter
Monday 30th August 2010, 20:12
Couldn't find your Curlew Sands Paul, despite checking Butts, Fishtail and Keyhaven Lagoons.

I did find eight Yellow Wags with the cattle near Oxey Barn, inc one nice bright male.

In case the Curlew Sands don't come back here's a pic of the ruff next to one with another two flying off to the back of the lagoon.

pdwinter
Tuesday 31st August 2010, 20:27
9 Yellow-legged Gulls from Redbridge Wharf this morning - a few years ago there would have been 50 or so.

Highlight for me was a Turnstone - my first there since 1995! They can be found at Marchwood about a mile south but rarely do any small waders come to Redbridge.

I was about to give up at 11am when a small bird dropped down onto the wharf and back up into the tree - a Redstart. I'd been looking in the wrong direction - all the action was in the trees and bushes with a variety of warblers and also 2 Spotflys. I'll try again tomorrow - probably will be nothing there!

cwpbirder
Sunday 5th September 2010, 18:11
An excellent couple of hours on the coast yesterday morning (4th) - no rares but a good combination of specialities for an inland birder like me. Started at Hayling, from the layby off the 1st road to the E south of the Ship Inn - an Osprey over at 0850h going west, flushed the good selection of waders including 11 Barwits (some in sum plum), 6 Grey Plovers (mostly moulting out of sum plum), Knot, Ringed Plover 50+, also 3 Little Egrets. Then from the car park behind the Esso garage a mile further south - adult Med Gull in winter plumage, large roost of Curlew/Oystercatcher/RPs and Dunlin, plus 6 Little Egrets. Finally (after Church Norton, which is in West Sussex......) Farlington car park, 100+ Blackwits and 100+ Redshanks, with another 50+ Grey Plovers, another 10 Little Egrets.

John P
Monday 6th September 2010, 11:03
Seawatch at Hurst this morning saw many Gannets, Terns and Swallows, mostly travelling south, one BN Grebe on the sea, other general bits and bobs but unfortunately the wet weather front didn't arrive as expected; could see clear to Durlston by 10.00am.

John P
Tuesday 7th September 2010, 21:24
Still plenty of Yellow wags on the old tip at Pennington, and Goldfinch.

Wells-man
Thursday 9th September 2010, 13:02
Still plenty of Yellow wags on the old tip at Pennington, and Goldfinch.

Cracking goldfinch photo

Glad this thread is re-awakening a bit. I always enjoy hearing what others have seen, in an area close enough for me to visit -- yet it's not too serious and precious about the whole thing like some sites.

K.

skatebirder
Saturday 11th September 2010, 15:29
Well, I suppose we should mention Hampshire's latest addition to the bird list then - the Isabelline (Daurian?) Shrike currently entertaining the masses at Gosport. I was ready to go to Pennington this morning, but the lure of a lifer half an hour from home was just too much. Took me a while to latch on to it, but then it decided not to be shy and perched for us for a few minutes. I will leave it to the experts to age/sex it, but a lovely bird to see on a drizzly morning in Gosport.

jonny caribou
Saturday 11th September 2010, 20:14
Anybody going to see daurian shrike tommorow sunday that i could lift share with? I live in Brampton cambs,right on the A1 a14 junction.Will pay petrol money if anyone could help out.Desperate to see it.My telephone number is 01480 437157.Thanks.
Jonny.

John P
Sunday 12th September 2010, 19:50
Anybody going to see daurian shrike tommorow sunday that i could lift share with? I live in Brampton cambs,right on the A1 a14 junction.Will pay petrol money if anyone could help out.Desperate to see it.My telephone number is 01480 437157.Thanks.
Jonny.

It wasn't seen today Jonny, so if you didn't make it you didn't miss anything.

I went today on the basis that Shrikes usually seem to hang around awhile but I can't say that I thought the area looked good for a supply of large insects.

It could well turn up somewhere else soon, ( I wouldn't stay in Gosport any longer than I had to either).;)

Jon Turner
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 16:37
Hi,

Back in East Hampshire for a couple of days, and went to Hayling this afternoon to see if the Wryneck would oblige on the Hayling Billy Trail (per Birdguides). Parked by the windsurfers (next to Esso Garage) and walked north and south, but couldn't find ANY steps. Drove to the north end of the trail (by the road bridge to the island) and walked south, still NO steps.

Any further clues? Like a grid reference?

Thanks

John P
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 21:23
Jon, I don't know Hayling myself and haven't seen this Wryneck but the position as given on the GoingBirdingHants (http://www.goingbirding.co.uk/hants/birdnews.asp) website is at SU716025.

(Showing down to 30'0" this morning at 10.30)

dwallace
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 21:41
Jon,

I haven't been for this bird and as you say directions are vague. It is reported as being at the northern end of the Trail near the entrance to the oysterbeds so I would check the fields very close to where you parked. Best I can do, I'm afraid.

Dave W

Jon Turner
Thursday 16th September 2010, 08:09
Many thanks both John and Dave, I've got a pass-out today, so will probably do Farlington and Hayling (more assiduously) Will post here if I find it....

In fact I think I'll make a start right now!!

Jon Turner
Thursday 16th September 2010, 16:08
Just got back from Farlington where I went after seeing the Wryneck this morning. The grid reference is slightly awry. Try 717037, which is a bit further north than that given. Looking south down the track from the Causeway end and north up the track from the windsurfing car park, you can't see the steps. They are actually at the entry to the oyster-bed reserve from the Hayling Billy trail where the Terns breed. The bird was feeding on anthill mounds in the field east of the track, but was chased off by a Magpie when I was there, but was seen again this afternoon.

Pleasant at Farlington with a couple of Whinchats, lots of Yellow Wagtails, a few Wheatears, 3 Sandwich Terns, 50+ Black-tailed Godwits (including a couple of colour-ringed individuals), 6 Pintail, Garden Warbler, 3 Whitethroats and a lot of Blackcaps.

Picked about 8lbs of Blackberries too!

John P
Thursday 16th September 2010, 20:08
Glad you found it Jon, I'm always a bit dubious about grid refs given by others (or generated by websites, which I believe is what happens with the GoingBirding site).

Thanks for the accurate grid ref, it certainly fits better with the Oyster beds. I may have a trip over there my self this weekend if the Wryneck is still around, but a clearish night tonight with the wind pointing over the Channel may well see it gone.

skatebirder
Saturday 18th September 2010, 08:10
The Wryneck was still there late Thursday afternoon, along with 2 Little Owls, a Redstart, Stonechat and a few Whitethroats. On the mud were 750+ Oystercatchers (!), a few Bar-Tailed Godwits & Greenshank, and an Eider was on the water. I too found the directions a bit off (100m from the north end of the Hayling Billy trail...that was a very long 100m).
Find the steps, start to climb them, then look behind you!
David

JohnnyH
Sunday 19th September 2010, 12:53
Popped down to Farlington this morning to twitch the Lapland Bunts. Three showing really well at the deeps, also had juv Little Stint close by & an Osprey out in the harbour.

John.

skatebirder
Wednesday 29th September 2010, 11:31
With a few Ring Ouzels reported in Hants and Dorset I decided yesterday to find some for myself! So I visited one of my favourite parts of the New Forest - Black Gutter Bottom and Leaden Hall. It wasn't crawling with birds, but I did manage to find 5 Dartford Warblers, 5 Chiffchaffs and a Stonechat. Then I saw a small party of thrushes flying over, making a chacking call that I wasn't familiar with. Had to be Ring Ouzels, I thought as I checked that they were dark birds with paler wings. Luckily for me, they then flew closer and landed in a bush close to where I was standing. A pristine male, a duller presumed female and 2 1st year birds, all sitting in a bush giving excellent views until they disappeared into the foliage.
When I was in Essex I knew a birder who seemed to know exactly when to look in particular places for particular birds. Now, twenty years later, perhaps I'm starting to understand how to do this myself - which bush to look through in late September for Ring Ouzels; when to look through my office window and have a reasonable chance of Black Redstart; where to find scarce waders passing through in late autumn. I've still lots to learn, but maybe in another twenty years I'll be finding my own "megas", by arriving on site just minutes after a White's Thrush or a Tufted Puffin turns up.

But for now, what's my next challenge?...to find a Yellow-Browed Warbler on my local patch. One can but dream.

David

PeeJay
Sunday 17th October 2010, 09:10
Just wondered if anyone knows what the current parking situation is at Farlington Marshes? Is it as limited as the HWT website suggests? Would also like to know whether it is still a hotspot for car break ins?

dwallace
Sunday 17th October 2010, 21:00
I've been there a couple of times recently and whilst parking is a bit limited I've had no trouble finding a spot. The advice has always been to park in the entrance area rather than drive along the narrow track. There's more parking here and although it adds 5 minutes or so to your walk it has the virtue of being overlooked by motorists at a busy junction.
In terms of car thefts not much has been reported lately on Hoslist but don't leave anything on show. I personally only go there when I want to see a specific bird, but maybe I'm being overly cautious or pessimistic. It can be a very rewarding birding experience.

Dave W

PeeJay
Monday 18th October 2010, 09:00
Thanks Dave - much appreciated.

pe'rigin
Monday 18th October 2010, 13:19
peejay,

Should be no parking problems there at the moment.

It is very good at the moment, lots to see. It seems less people are going to the marsh at the moment, still get the dog walkers and runners.

On the parking front, I prefer to park down by the gates, the car park by the roundabout does offer a quick getaway. I always loathed parking at broadmarsh too for the same reason.

scary-canary
Monday 18th October 2010, 20:14
Just read an email on hoslist that seemed to suggest there was a red flanked bluetail at needs ore! Have I misunderstood?
Chris

pdwinter
Monday 18th October 2010, 21:02
Just read an email on hoslist that seemed to suggest there was a red flanked bluetail at needs ore! Have I misunderstood?
Chris

The way I read it was that the red flanked bluetail is somewhere else but suppressed by a different group of birders |:d| ... but I may have that all wrong.

John P
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 07:00
Chris

Yes: that was also my initial understanding but reading again more carefully it was obviously not Needs Ore.

....................... and we now know it was seen in the SE of the county, probably Sandy Point but that is more supposition.

Paul, where did you learn the location info for the Red footed falcon? I couldn't see anything about Hawkhill in any of the Hoslist emails.

pdwinter
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 07:12
Paul, where did you learn the location info for the Red footed falcon? I couldn't see anything about Hawkhill in any of the Hoslist emails.

Hi John

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hoslist/message/46668

Paul

Added: And for those without access to hoslist

"It was hunting from trees overlooking Worts Gutter in Hawkhill Inclosure. It was seen from the main east west cycle track running through hawkhill inclosure"

John P
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 21:22
Hi John

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hoslist/message/46668

Paul

Added: And for those without access to hoslist

"It was hunting from trees overlooking Worts Gutter in Hawkhill Inclosure. It was seen from the main east west cycle track running through hawkhill inclosure"

Thanks Paul, just checked my emails and for some reason I'm missing all of those on the evening of 12.10.10. after the first one about the RFF at 18.22.

I'll have to remember to check the Yahoo page more often.

JohnnyH
Saturday 23rd October 2010, 17:08
The Bluetail was showing superbly this afternoon at Sandy Point, cracking little bird. Also present but not seen by me is a Firecrest.

John.

cwpbirder
Sunday 24th October 2010, 22:03
No Bluetail today.......2-3 Bearded Tits at Farlington in the first reedbed along the seawall from the car park, not sure how scarce they are in Hants. An Osprey (late?) at the NE side of Langstone harbour, and 5 Black-necked Grebes at the Oyster beds with 3 Common Scoter.

skatebirder
Saturday 13th November 2010, 17:17
I went to look for Lapland Buntings in the stubble field along New Lane, at the end of Hurst Spit, this morning. The Laps didn't disappoint - there were as many as 15 Lapland Buntings in the field, moving around both on foot and on the wing in mixed groups, so not easy to count.
At Keyhaven a bit later, a Merlin posed on a dead tree for ten minutes, giving me great views of a bird which I normally see heading off into the distance at a rate of knots.
After I'd left, some of the other birders watched two Snow Buntings on Hurst Spit.

David

stevo
Sunday 21st November 2010, 15:15
1 Snow bunting still present on the harbour side of Hurst spit 19/11/10 as I photographed it someones dog flushed it & I never saw it again.Had scope views of 1 of the c15 Lapland Buntings in the fields by New lane.

Steve.

pe'rigin
Friday 26th November 2010, 08:19
With the weekend weather forecast to be colder, we should get a good influx of all types of birds.

Kent looks the place to be, but we should get our fair share here.

Whatever location you choose this weekend there should be something about.

Can't think which will be the best location in Hampshire, and in honestly it doesn't matter.

I'm going for the shoreline/marsh in the anticipation of seeing at least one species of diver, harrier and owl, if they can manifest into Black-throated, Hen and Short-eared then I'll be happy.

But whatever you see it is a great time to be out, put it this way, would you rather be dragged screaming around the shops attempting Christmas Shopping, or watching a Hen harrier hunt?

John P
Friday 26th November 2010, 22:03
I'm going for the shoreline/marsh in the anticipation of seeing at least one species of diver, harrier and owl, if they can manifest into Black-throated, Hen and Short-eared then I'll be happy.

I managed Great Northern, Marsh and Little today at Keyhaven.

pdwinter
Wednesday 1st December 2010, 16:21
The cold spell is having an impact - a Red-head Smew was off Redbridge Wharf all afternoon (well to 3.30 when I retired frozen!)

John P
Wednesday 1st December 2010, 20:03
The cold spell is having an impact - a Red-head Smew was off Redbridge Wharf all afternoon (well to 3.30 when I retired frozen!)

Try and find me a nice male please Paul. :king: (Smew of course) :-O

I came off Hurst Spit about 3.00 pm, it felt like I'd just got off a boat when I walked onto the bridge, force 6 and sandblasted all the way back, wasn't cold though, had the full bull buggering cold weather fishing gear on, a bit too hot really.

Several thousand Woodpigs in the stubble fields near Holmsley gravel pit this morning along with Goldfinch, Chaffinch, and Mipits. Bramblings all over the Beechy parts of the Forest and just about every Holly seems to hold a Redwing or two.

pdwinter
Friday 3rd December 2010, 19:52
Try and find me a nice male please Paul. :king: (Smew of course) :-O

Had another look this afternoon but no sign of the redhead - let alone a male |=)|. Did see 13 Dunlin (my second highest count here!) and 9 Snipe displaced from the frozen marshes. A Firecrest in the garden turned out to be the highlight - and a lot easier to travel to!

NixAvianPix
Saturday 4th December 2010, 11:32
My first posting on the Hants forum.

I haven't done any birding in the New Forest before but would like to try new areas beyond my top end of the county. John P mentioned beechy areas of the forest holding Bramblings, would be interested to know place names, grid ref etc to get me started.

Also are there specific good places, times etc for Hawfinch in the Forest and for Goshawk in the Spring? I have read in the past that both these species are often seen there.

Thanks,

Nick

John P
Saturday 4th December 2010, 18:46
My first posting on the Hants forum.

I haven't done any birding in the New Forest before but would like to try new areas beyond my top end of the county. John P mentioned beechy areas of the forest holding Bramblings, would be interested to know place names, grid ref etc to get me started.

Also are there specific good places, times etc for Hawfinch in the Forest and for Goshawk in the Spring? I have read in the past that both these species are often seen there.

Thanks,

Nick

Most of the older forested areas are well endowed with Beech, Mark Ash Wood, Ridley Wood, and Ashurst Wood are I think the oldest areas.

Mark Ash would be a good place to start, there's a lay-by thingy at SU247072 where you can park, I saw Brambling just a little way up the hill from there recently but they could be anywhere.

Hawfinch can normally be seen at this time of year coming in to roost at Blackwater Arboretum, usually about 90 minutes before sunset.

Acres Down is the traditional watch point for Goshawk in the spring.

Just for anyone interested TP added Goshawk to his already far too impressive Keyhaven list today.

John P
Monday 6th December 2010, 20:27
John P mentioned beechy areas of the forest holding Bramblings, would be interested to know place names, grid ref etc to get me started.

Nick

Large flock of Bramblings (200+) near Burley today, (and same place last Wed too), take the road NE out of Burley and go 300 yards past the Lucy Hill car park, they were very close to the roadside, it was like watching a mini tornado in the leaf litter.

NixAvianPix
Tuesday 7th December 2010, 14:18
Thanks John for your updates, I plan to get down there this weekend now that the snow and ice has pretty much disappeared.

Hopefully some winter sunlight for photography as well.

Nick

John P
Tuesday 7th December 2010, 20:10
Thanks John for your updates, I plan to get down there this weekend now that the snow and ice has pretty much disappeared.

Hopefully some winter sunlight for photography as well.

Nick

Plenty of Brambling in the same place again this afternoon, there is still a small amount of ice on that road , especially if you come in from the Vinney Ridge end (East), easily driveable though. If you do come from the Eastern end, go 50 - 100 yards past *Burley Products* and you can't miss the Brambling if they're there.

John P
Wednesday 8th December 2010, 10:57
No sign of those Brambling this morning, I was surprised to have seen them in the same place on three occasions but my three previous visits were all in the afternoon so perhaps they are gathering there pm for a pre-roost snack.

John P
Sunday 26th December 2010, 18:53
JP looks around - waves tinsel - goes back to attacking mince pie.

In my garden recently.

cwpbirder
Thursday 30th December 2010, 22:38
Does anyone have any recent news on the Purple Sandpipers at Southsea Castle? thanks.....

pdwinter
Friday 31st December 2010, 07:00
Does anyone have any recent news on the Purple Sandpipers at Southsea Castle? thanks.....

There's a pic on goingbirding http://www.goingbirding.co.uk/hants/show_photo.asp?photo_id=1397 dated 30/12/2010 showing 4 there

cwpbirder
Friday 31st December 2010, 15:38
Excellent! thanks

John P
Sunday 2nd January 2011, 19:47
Spent an hour or so walking part of the old railway line (and back again) from Burbush towards Holmsley Passage this morning, I managed to see 5 Crows, 7 Blackbirds (all male), 1 Great Tit and heard a Chaffinch and a Green woodpecker.

I would normally reckon to see at least 30 species along here, several more on a really good day, not even a Robin in sight anywhere, there's usually one in every bush along there.

GGS was a welcome bonus at Black Gutter late this afternoon though.

lngbrder888
Sunday 2nd January 2011, 20:08
Been reading some of these threads for a while and not yet got stuck in. Great to hear what people are seeing and where though.

Went for a long walk today after parking at Picket Post. Was hoping for a Hen Harrier I had seen before but it never turned up. Also found it very quiet...just a few Meadow Pipits over and a Mistle Thrush guarding a holly bush. Kept walking though and headed towards Burley.

While hopping my way across one of the many bogs I looked up to see a Great Grey Shrike sat in the top of a birch. Managed to watch for a good 15 minutes before it dissapeared out of sight. Read on Two Owls Birding (http://www.twoowlsbirding.co.uk)that its a known bird...but still very happy to have seen it! First for me...

pdwinter
Monday 3rd January 2011, 18:08
Could be worse, John. Elaine and I walked around Keyhaven/Pennington this afternoon and managed to miss 35 Whitefronts;)

Spent an hour or so walking part of the old railway line (and back again) from Burbush towards Holmsley Passage this morning, I managed to see 5 Crows, 7 Blackbirds (all male), 1 Great Tit and heard a Chaffinch and a Green woodpecker.

I would normally reckon to see at least 30 species along here, several more on a really good day, not even a Robin in sight anywhere, there's usually one in every bush along there.

GGS was a welcome bonus at Black Gutter late this afternoon though.

oldbaldman
Monday 3rd January 2011, 19:44
Friday morning at Farlington Marsh, first visit and the highlight was a Sparrowhawk in the reedbeds to the east of the sea wall path.

obm

teamsaint
Tuesday 4th January 2011, 19:50
Could be worse, John. Elaine and I walked around Keyhaven/Pennington this afternoon and managed to miss 35 Whitefronts;)

Don't worry Paul, you weren't the only ones ;)

I did manage this stunning image though. :-O

John P
Thursday 6th January 2011, 20:29
For anyone not plugged in to the HantsBirdNews (http://www.goingbirding.co.uk/hants/birdnews.asp) site the WTE has been seen again.

I was out today at about the right time and not too far from there but I was mostly looking South, the strange thing was as I was driving home I was wondering where it might have gone as it's not been reported anywhere since seen on 1.1.11.

damn thing probably went over my house. :-C

pdwinter
Friday 7th January 2011, 15:10
For anyone not plugged in to the HantsBirdNews (http://www.goingbirding.co.uk/hants/birdnews.asp) site the WTE has been seen again.

I was out today at about the right time and not too far from there but I was mostly looking South, the strange thing was as I was driving home I was wondering where it might have gone as it's not been reported anywhere since seen on 1.1.11.

damn thing probably went over my house. :-C

A little more information on Birdguides now ;)

John P
Friday 7th January 2011, 15:24

...........and again today, and fortunately I was there this time - I predict a fair bit of chaos along the road there tomorrow.

ginge_meister
Friday 7th January 2011, 18:01
...........and again today, and fortunately I was there this time - I predict a fair bit of chaos along the road there tomorrow.

For people going to see it, it could be worth waiting on news first.

There is apparently a pheasant shoot on site or very close nearby tomorrow (Saturday) morning which may disturb the bird. News of its presence will probably go out early tomorrow nonetheless.

ginge_meister
Friday 7th January 2011, 18:06
The Lapland Buntings at Cutbridge (Milford-on-sea) are really worth a look in at the moment, the males are coming into stunning plumage and if you pull close to the fence and stay in your car they come quite close.

It would be interesting to know just how many there are there as when ever a small group of Skylark take off there always seems to be at least one lap in amongst them....and there is 100s of Skylarks there!!

pdwinter
Saturday 8th January 2011, 11:49
The adult Caspian Gull was again off Redbridge Wharf at 08:45 this morning. It then flew SE (i.e. down the River Test towards dockhead).
Three Goldeneye (2f,1fw) were showing well on the Test just opposite the Echo offices entrance in Test Lane, Redbridge.

RoyCo
Saturday 8th January 2011, 20:08
The Lapland Buntings at Cutbridge (Milford-on-sea) are really worth a look in at the moment, the males are coming into stunning plumage and if you pull close to the fence and stay in your car they come quite close.

It would be interesting to know just how many there are there as when ever a small group of Skylark take off there always seems to be at least one lap in amongst them....and there is 100s of Skylarks there!!

Various reports of numbers but on average, about 10 or so seems to be quoted most.
No sign of Bittern(s) at Blashford up until about 3pm but Great Grey Shrike on edge of woodland facing water works before being "escorted" towards Goosander Hide area by smaller birds. Apparently one was seen before New Year. Also, some super views of 6 Bewick Swans at Ibsley.

MSA
Saturday 8th January 2011, 22:05
I was chatting to someone at the WT Eagle site today who reckoned there had been a max count of over 50 Laps at Cut Bridge!

ginge_meister
Sunday 9th January 2011, 11:02
I was chatting to someone at the WT Eagle site today who reckoned there had been a max count of over 50 Laps at Cut Bridge!

Yes there was a peculiar report of 50 Snow Bunting and Lapland Bunting at Keyhaven Lagoon yesterday from someone I have never met on goingbirding. This would be a ridiculous total for Hampshire.

But I cannot help but think someone has got a little confused with the location; that was infact Cutbridge, and also counted Skylark instead of Snow Buntings. (Happy to be proven wrong though).

I think the max count for Lapland Buntings has actually been about 20, but 10+ is usually what is reported to play it safe.

John P
Sunday 9th January 2011, 19:04
Yes there was a peculiar report of 50 Snow Bunting and Lapland Bunting at Keyhaven Lagoon yesterday from someone I have never met on goingbirding. This would be a ridiculous total for Hampshire.

............and I met a fair few at Keyhaven today actually looking for them, I tried to let them down gently and pointed them towards Hurst Spit.

pdwinter
Sunday 9th January 2011, 19:36
...and today I walked along from Hordle Cliff carpark to Barton on Sea and back keeping my eyes on the northern sky. On the way back we stopped again near the Taddiford trigpoint for a quick scan and a couple of women arrived about 3.30pm hoping to see the eagle. I was able to show them the assembled birders on the A337 and they dashed back to their car in Taddiford Gap carpark to head off that way. Hope they got to see it!

Cornish Chough
Sunday 9th January 2011, 21:31
I was in the area on a short weekend break and went looking for the W T E this afternoon but it did not show sadly.

RoyCo
Monday 10th January 2011, 21:26
I was in the area on a short weekend break and went looking for the W T E this afternoon but it did not show sadly.

Sorry to have to report this Cornish but my wife and I motored along Hordle Lane this morning, stopping where a group of birders had collected, peering over a field so we carried on around Angel Lane in a circle looking for the WTE but finally decided to have a wander around Keyhaven instead. About 12:30 a mass of geese, ducks, lapwing and smaller birds preceeded a "flying barn door" as the WTE drifted along from Milford/New Milton over to Lymington where we finally lost sight of it some 10 minutes later.
Also, 30 White-fronted Geese, 82 Barnacle Geese and 50-ish Golden Plover on the marsh behind the point towards Isley Lane.

pdwinter
Wednesday 12th January 2011, 15:56
The White-tailed Eagle was back in its usual area early afternoon. I walked along Crooked lane (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=425572&Y=94137&A=Y&Z=115) from the B3058 and took shelter from the rain under some trees much nearer the A337. At 13:33 the eagle appeared at the southern end of Angel Lane and then moved along the tree-line to circle around Hooper's Hill. I lost it to view for a couple of minutes and then it reappeared and after a minute or so it disappeared, presumably in, or on the eastern side of, Breakhill Copse.

Wells-man
Tuesday 18th January 2011, 16:09
The White-tailed Eagle was back in its usual area early afternoon. I walked along Crooked lane (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=425572&Y=94137&A=Y&Z=115) from the B3058 and took shelter from the rain under some trees much nearer the A337. At 13:33 the eagle appeared at the southern end of Angel Lane and then moved along the tree-line to circle around Hooper's Hill. I lost it to view for a couple of minutes and then it reappeared and after a minute or so it disappeared, presumably in, or on the eastern side of, Breakhill Copse.

Haven't been able to get down to the coast recently, but hope to this coming weekend. Anyone know if the WTE is still there this week, or if it has moved on ? Last sighting I can see on the web was about 3 or 4 days ago, but I'm not au fait with all the sites.

K.

Tri-Counties Birder
Tuesday 18th January 2011, 17:46
Its still in the area, as there was this report today:

''imm. Flying low steadily over Silver Street westwards between Bowling Green and Hordle.''

But, it seems it is becoming more erratic with its appearances. It was only seen once on Sunday for example (at 09:00 at Hordle Lane), so I missed it.

pdwinter
Wednesday 19th January 2011, 06:12
There was also this report for 18/1 on hoslist
"Twas I who started rumour re sighting from Angel Lane. Yes, I saw it about 14:00 flying just above tree-tops, over ploughed field to west of junction of Angel Lane and New Milton Rd. It was heading towards the coast."

Just heard on Radio Solent that is was also seen on 18/1 flying along the cliffs at nearby Highcliffe

Wells-man
Wednesday 19th January 2011, 15:47
There was also this report for 18/1 on hoslist
"Twas I who started rumour re sighting from Angel Lane. Yes, I saw it about 14:00 flying just above tree-tops, over ploughed field to west of junction of Angel Lane and New Milton Rd. It was heading towards the coast."

Just heard on Radio Solent that is was also seen on 18/1 flying along the cliffs at nearby Highcliffe

Thanks to both above.

Sounds as if I might be in for a frustrating time at the weekend, but probably still worth a try. Only ever seen (a pair of) sea eagles up on Mull before, and that was a distant view.

K.

ginge_meister
Thursday 20th January 2011, 18:05
Thanks to both above.

Sounds as if I might be in for a frustrating time at the weekend, but probably still worth a try. Only ever seen (a pair of) sea eagles up on Mull before, and that was a distant view.

K.

Appears to now be frequenting an area of land that isn't particularly viewable from any roads at the moment, despite quite a few people looking for it other places. Its now a matter of luck on the day and hoping its up and about flying around as when it settles again its generally out of view.

Angel Lane and Hordle Lane are almost certainly the best two roads to work to try and see it though.

ginge_meister
Thursday 20th January 2011, 18:08
Found today was a Red-breasted Goose between Solent Breezes and Brownwich Pond (just NW of Titchfield Haven) with Dark-bellied Brent. It is apparently unringed

This is most likely the same individual that was in the county a couple of winters ago frequenting the Keyhaven/Pennington/Normandy area, and Ferrybridge (Dorset) and West Wittering (West Sussex) in previous winters before that.

Graeme_L
Friday 21st January 2011, 14:53
Just joined and thought I would mention I was lucky enough to see at least 2 Red Kites today over Highclere area (near the Stud). There were 5 birds circling and I managed to ID at least 2 that were Kites (I think the others were too but cannot be 100% sure, do they mix at times with buzzards?). Looks like they spooked the birds in the wood nearby as there was a hell of a racket and lots of wood pigeons etc flew out in a hurry when the birds flew over it....

Anyway, hi all...

Graeme

Mandi
Saturday 22nd January 2011, 11:38
The sea eagle which has been seen around Hordle was in our garden today. Swooped down and killed a magpie.
Around 12.15am.

ginge_meister
Saturday 22nd January 2011, 15:20
Just joined and thought I would mention I was lucky enough to see at least 2 Red Kites today over Highclere area (near the Stud). There were 5 birds circling and I managed to ID at least 2 that were Kites (I think the others were too but cannot be 100% sure, do they mix at times with buzzards?). Looks like they spooked the birds in the wood nearby as there was a hell of a racket and lots of wood pigeons etc flew out in a hurry when the birds flew over it....

Anyway, hi all...

Graeme

Welcome to BF Graeme, the Highclere area is pretty good for Red Kites, so theres is a pretty good chance that the other birds of prey in the sky at the same time were indeed Kites too.

However it is not unusual to see Buzzards circling in the sky with them on occasions,so thats always a possibility.

ginge_meister
Saturday 22nd January 2011, 15:26
The sea eagle which has been seen around Hordle was in our garden today. Swooped down and killed a magpie.
Around 12.15am.

Hello,

I am not sure whether what you have seen in your garden today was the White-tailed Eagle, they would usually prefer very large open areas and woodlands in which to operate. It would be quite unusual behaviour for one to land in someones garden (unless by garden you mean large field), and to take a Magpie too...Most White-tailed Eagle are scavengers.

Did you get a photo of it at all?

Thanks.

Mandi
Sunday 23rd January 2011, 18:55
Hi the bird we saw yesterday in the garden was probably the one everyone has been out watching and looking for which was seen around Hordle - about ten minutes drive from here. Our house is surrounded by fields, woods and a large park and has a stream just over the road and is also a few mins walk from the Salterns. I did not get a picture unfortunately but it landed on our shed for a while and left the magpie and flew off. Hope to see it again and this time my camera is on the window ledge!

Cleme
Sunday 23rd January 2011, 19:26
Amazing sighting - hope you can grab your camera next time.

Wells-man
Monday 24th January 2011, 08:42
Appears to now be frequenting an area of land that isn't particularly viewable from any roads at the moment, despite quite a few people looking for it other places. Its now a matter of luck on the day and hoping its up and about flying around as when it settles again its generally out of view.

Angel Lane and Hordle Lane are almost certainly the best two roads to work to try and see it though.

Well we went down to the Lymingston area and were indeed out of luck. We saw no eagle and no lapland buntings near Hurst Spit either. (lots of buntings, but all reed as far as we could see.)

Ah well, we did have a good view of a peregrine on a post.

K.

Wells-man
Monday 24th January 2011, 08:49

Anyway, hi all...

Graeme

Hi. That's a good area for kites. Living near Whitchurch, a few miles from highclere, we see red kites several times a week, quite low over the house. I even had the uplifting experience last week of casually glancing up through the Velux window in the roof of our kitchen just in time to see to a kite flying just over head.

And yes they do sometimes mix with buzzards, but normally there seems to be a sort of mutual deliberate ignoring of each other ;)

K.

Graeme_L
Tuesday 25th January 2011, 22:30
Hi. That's a good area for kites. Living near Whitchurch, a few miles from highclere, we see red kites several times a week, quite low over the house. I even had the uplifting experience last week of casually glancing up through the Velux window in the roof of our kitchen just in time to see to a kite flying just over head.

And yes they do sometimes mix with buzzards, but normally there seems to be a sort of mutual deliberate ignoring of each other ;)

K.

I am only recently getting used to seeing them - I have seen a pair quite often at the hawk conservancy in Andover that turn up during the displays - lovely birds.
Now I would really like the opportunity to see a wild sea eagle...

G

marcusg
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 13:55
Hi there,

My first post on here ... will be heading down to the New Forest next weekend, we're staying at a B&B in Ogdens so will mostly be walking around the Hampton Ridge/Pitts Wood/Ashley Walk area (and possibly round to Fritham too).

My main target being Hen Harrier ... I've just bought 'Where to watch birds in Dorset, Hampshire & IOW', which mentions them being seen 'regularly' in this area ... also possibly Hawfinch, GGS etc.

Anyone have any more useful info on where/when I could reliably find Hen Harriers (and any other specialities) in the area?

Thanks! ;)

Tri-Counties Birder
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 14:13
If you're out on any of the large heaths, and the weather is decent, you have a good chance of seeing a Hen Harrier. There is a place nearby where they come to roost, but I can't give it out on a public forum.

There has been a Great Grey Shrike at Holmsley, south of Burley, but they can be mobile at the best of times.

Cleme
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 14:13
I can't help re hen harriers but the Royal Oak at Fritham is a great place to visit if you fancy a break in that area.

You can walk or drive down the hill (woodland on either side of the road) from there to Eyeworth Pond and walk around that area.

http://www.new-forest-national-park.com/fritham-walk.html

marcusg
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 15:06
If you're out on any of the large heaths, and the weather is decent, you have a good chance of seeing a Hen Harrier. There is a place nearby where they come to roost, but I can't give it out on a public forum.

There has been a Great Grey Shrike at Holmsley, south of Burley, but they can be mobile at the best of times.

Thanks - shame you can't reveal the roost, but obv completely understandable! What is the best time of day to spot them?

I can't help re hen harriers but the Royal Oak at Fritham is a great place to visit if you fancy a break in that area.

You can walk or drive down the hill (woodland on either side of the road) from there to Eyeworth Pond and walk around that area.

http://www.new-forest-national-park.com/fritham-walk.html

Yup, will be visting the Royal Oak for sure! B (:

Cleme
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 16:13
Worth keeping an eye on latest sightings at HOS... I'd say this could be helpful.

03/02/11 Hen Harrier Shatterford male and fem. flying low then went down into the heather. SU345064.

skatebirder
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 19:56
Thanks - shame you can't reveal the roost, but obv completely understandable! What is the best time of day to spot them?

I've found the best time to see them is just at the point at which you are packing away because you think it's getting too dark to see them!
Sounds daft, but over the years a significant proportion of my Hen Harrier sightings have been seen at or around sundown.
David

lewis20126
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 20:58
There is a regular wintering male in the Shatterford area and its there this winter so I'd do a loop in this area - you have a very good chance of seeing it.

cheers, alan

dwallace
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 21:11
And Blackwater Arboretum has a regular Hawfinch roost.

Dave W

John P
Sunday 6th February 2011, 20:34
Mostly distant, but over 100 Red-throated diver went West out of the Solent this morning between 8.00 and 11.30, (more seen later too). Good numbers of Gannet over the shingle bank near the Needles and a sprinkling of Kittiwakes, Guillemots and Razorbill.

marcusg
Tuesday 8th February 2011, 08:40
Thanks for all the New Forest info folks, looking forward to heading down there Friday and see what I can find ...

Nice sighting of 20+ Waxwing in my local Morrisons car park (GU14 0NA) 08:45 this morning!

Wells-man
Monday 21st February 2011, 09:21
Had a cracking day Saturday. Warsash in the morning: Caught a glimpse of a bittern, so fleeting as to be only 90% sure at first , but then met a local who offered unsolicited that there was one in the area we'd seen it, so am now happy to give a it a mental tick.

Also at least a dozen snipe, mostly round the lagoon, and the usual mixture of widgeon, gadwall, teal, little grebe, curlew, redshank, a few pin-tail, oyster catchers, turnstones, egret, usual gulls, etc. .. and one solitary reed bunting.

Pub lunch, then back home in late afternoon, sitting half-dozing in armchair, saw through my lounge window , in one 30 minute spell, grey heron land in garden, then little owl, kestrel, and finally a barn owl, in paddock just behind garden .

If only Saints' game at Rochdale hadn't been called off, it would have been the perfect day! --assuming we'd won ;-)

K.

cwpbirder
Saturday 26th February 2011, 20:44
The White-tailed Eagle showed well today about 11am east of Old Basing, appeared from the woods and soared for about 10 mins mobbed by Buzzards and a Red Kite, then went down to the south of Blackland's Farm. It had been looked for since first light but had presumably sat tight in the showery weather. I understand it was seen again a couple of times in the afternoon.

ozzibates
Monday 28th February 2011, 17:06
Saw the Red Breastedgoose at Pennington marshes last weekend within the Brents

britmonkey
Tuesday 8th March 2011, 10:35
I went to Pipers Wait in the New Forest hoping a walk between the two highest points of the forest would provide some views of Hawks and failed to see any.

Did get a great view of a Great Grey Shrike also saw a Tawny Owl so went home happy.

And I had a Black Redstart in my works carpark.

John P
Tuesday 8th March 2011, 21:12
I went to Pipers Wait in the New Forest hoping a walk between the two highest points of the forest would provide some views of Hawks and failed to see any.

There were two hawk species on show at Acres Down on Sunday morning, I'd hazard a guess that good views would have been available over the last couple of fine days too.

John P
Saturday 12th March 2011, 20:05
A pair of Stonechat at Keyhaven this afternoon, behind Iley Point, my first this year.

Several Chiff-Chaff near the Balancing pond on Thursday.

John P
Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 21:24
Two Little Ringed Plover @ Keyhaven this afternoon.

Ruff still on Fishtail.

John P
Sunday 27th March 2011, 19:16
Single Swallow over Keyhaven Lagoon this morning also two Water Pipits on there still; out in the forest this afternoon had great views of Lesser Spot in Brinken Wood, drumming virtually non-stop from 15:00 - 15:30 (this did help make it relatively easy to find) ;), Holmsley Passage on the way home gave up the first pair of Stonechats seen there since last year and also Dartfords, Linnets, Greenfinches and a (non-feeder) Blue tit.

pdwinter
Sunday 27th March 2011, 20:19
At least 2 Ruff on Fishtail Lagoon this afternoon plus a pink Water Pipit, several Spotshanks (saw 5 in total on various lagoons) - including one that was actually 'spotted' - and 2 LRPs.

pdwinter
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 17:56
Had a walk around Skidmore (SU3517) in the rain this morning and there were 2 House Martins and a Swallow flying with 50+ Sand Martins over the River Test. My earliest ever House Martin but I expect it would be a late date for a coastal birder |^|. There was also a pair of Mandarin and still some Redwings and Fieldfares.

Wells-man
Monday 4th April 2011, 07:40
Had a walk around Skidmore (SU3517) in the rain this morning and there were 2 House Martins and a Swallow flying with 50+ Sand Martins over the River Test. My earliest ever House Martin but I expect it would be a late date for a coastal birder |^|. There was also a pair of Mandarin and still some Redwings and Fieldfares.

Saw a solitary martin yesterday, Sunday 3rd, over our house, near Whitchurch... first of the year and very early for us. Looking forward now to the swifts returning soon to nest outside my office window.

K.

John P
Tuesday 3rd May 2011, 21:52
Time for the monthly Hampshire post: a seawatch this morning was interesting without being too exciting, Black, Common and Arctic Terns, loads of Whimbrel and Barwits, often in mixed flocks, Little Gull, several Scoter, distant Fulmars, many Gannets constantly active, one Arctic Skua which passed through too early for my 7.00 am start, Swifts, Swallows and House Martins coming in steadily, Little Terns fishing the beach almost constantly.

A quick pre-lunch tour of the marsh produced two Little Stints, Ruff in almost full sum plum, ditto Spotshank, 8 Little Gulls over (and the one previously seen from Hurst was on the Butts Lagoon), and one fine male Garganey.

This afternoon I just had to go for the Dotterel, too much heat haze for any good pics, this one was about the best I got.

skatebirder
Saturday 7th May 2011, 17:07
A seawatch from Hurst today sounds very similar to John's previous post:
1 Black Tern
1 Roseate Tern
lots of Common Terns
1 Arctic Skua (plus two earlier distant birds which I think I mis-identified as skuas...oops)
2 Fulmars
1 Hobby, in-off (distant, but distinctive enough)
A few Scoters, Whimbrel, Sanderling, Bar-wits etc.

David

dwallace
Saturday 7th May 2011, 22:17
Also a Pectoral Sandpiper near the Jetty Lagoon at Pennington Marshes today.

Dave W

oldbaldman
Friday 27th May 2011, 18:41
At Titchfield Haven, Gosport today 4 Avocet.

obm

cwpbirder
Monday 5th September 2011, 07:07
An excellent hour over high tide at Farlington on Sat afternoon 3rd - highlights being 2 juvenile Curlew Sandpipers, a Spotted Redshank, 2 Ruff, a very good count of 29 Greenshank, 2-300 Redshank, 150+ Black-tailed Godwits, 100+ Grey Plover, many in summer plumage, and a Whimbrel. 15 Wader spp seen in total, and I missed both the Ospreys !

Allen
Friday 2nd March 2012, 12:17
All - Can anyone tell me where Broadmarsh is and particularly the slipway where the Iceland Gull is hanging out as I thought I might pop down at the weekend but have no idea where to park or how to get there.

Thanks

Tri-Counties Birder
Friday 2nd March 2012, 12:35
See post 7 here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=223556

The car park on the west side of Bedhampton Creek is Broadmarsh.

pooleparrot
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 16:53
A good selection at Keyhaven today with a total of 60 species recorded. The highlights were a Black Tern that was frequenting Fishtail and Butts Lagoon, the Wood Sandpiper still on the Shoveler Pools and a Little Gull on Fishtail. There was also a good flock of 50+ Whimbrel feeding on the Meadows.

A couple of record shots below

pandachris
Friday 1st June 2012, 10:19
Hi

We're down in Hampshire for a long weekend (thanks Your Majesty). Can anybody recommend any non-sensitive sites for Nightingale and Woodlark, please?

skatebirder
Friday 1st June 2012, 15:58
If you go to http://www.goingbirding.co.uk/hants/birdnews.asp and search for Woodlark over the last 2 months, you'll get lots of sites. The area between Pig Bush and Shatterford (Beaulieu Road Station) also known as Bishop's Dyke, is usually a good bet. The woods around Ashlett Creek near Fawley Power station are the usual spot that people quote for Nightingales, but I'm not sure whether many will be singing now.
David

pandachris
Saturday 2nd June 2012, 08:12
Thanks David. We'll give them a go.

skatebirder
Saturday 2nd June 2012, 16:35
It looks like Pennington is the place to be today, with B-W Stilts, Glossy Ibis and Night Heron. I was there on Thursday and the best bird was, erm, Med Gull :(
David
#

Farnboro John
Saturday 2nd June 2012, 21:44
It looks like Pennington is the place to be today, with B-W Stilts, Glossy Ibis and Night Heron. I was there on Thursday and the best bird was, erm, Med Gull :(
David
#

You forgot the drake Garganey B (:

skatebirder
Sunday 3rd June 2012, 15:23
You forgot the drake Garganey B (:

John - Thanks for reminding me that I missed that one too.

David

pandachris
Monday 4th June 2012, 07:12
We were a bit further east yesterday at Pagham having forgotten that Chichester is actually in Sussex (oops) and then spent the afternoon at the Historic Waterfront in Portsmouth (which is actually in Hampshire) doing 'jubilee' stuff but we're now in Southampton for two nights - wish it was three - like fireworks but don't fancy the drive back to Shropshire starting at 11 p.m. with work at 8 a.m. on Wednesday. I'll have a look at the location of Pennington as we have no firm plans today.

pandachris
Monday 4th June 2012, 07:18
I've had a look at Pennington on the map and can't see any obvious places to go for the species listed above. Should we be looking here ...

http://www.visitsoutheastengland.com/things-to-do/keyhaven-and-pennington-nature-reserve-p59863

Any directions and tips for finding the birds listed would be helpful. We have an unambitious target of seeing 200 species in the UK and all but the Ibis would assist - the Garganey would only be 50% though as one of us has seen a pair whilst the other was 3 metres too far up the path - good job we're not acrimonious.

pdwinter
Monday 4th June 2012, 08:45
Not quite sure where any of the birds are (except Night Heron) as I haven't been down but the stilts have been reported on the Shoveler Pools and the Ibis appears at the back of Fishtail.

This map might help.

Map (http://gridreferencefinder.com/?gr=SZ3185692209|Fishtail_s_Lagoon|0,SZ3215492579| Shoveler_s_pools|0,SZ3209393105|Night_s_Heron|0,SZ 3221192166|Butts|0,SZ3238692300|Jetty_s_Lagoon|0&v=h)

skatebirder
Monday 4th June 2012, 11:39
The Ibis, if it is still there, is extremely elusive. Even on some of the days when it is seen, it is only seen once or twice, so don't expect too much. The other birds on the site are well worth it though - Night Heron and B-W Stilts are not exactly standard fare in Hampshire.
David

pandachris
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 06:49
Thanks both. We found the site on the 2nd attempt. Road signs coming out of Lymington aren't that helpful. We walked the circuit starting with the path alongside Fishtail then back around by Pennington Marsh with a final detour to see the Stilts. A local birder kindly showed us where the Night Heron had been seen but it wasn't in evidence.

We spent a good couple of hours in the New Forest near Pig Bush and eventually tracked down a singing Woodlark by the strategy of birding by wandering around. Didn't think we were going to see one until a single bird flushed from quite near where we were standing (on a path) and showed quite well.

Both areas provided some entertaining birding in fine conditions.

TheThing
Saturday 16th June 2012, 17:37
Anyone know if the Glossy Ibis is still on Farlington Marshes please?

Birdguides have it there at 07:30 but nothing since then. Thought I might pop down early tomorrow am for a look.

Used to bird the marshes in the 80's when I lived in Portsmouth. Went to school just up the road at Springfield and would pop over during lunch or after school. Happy days!

TheThing
Sunday 17th June 2012, 19:59
To answer my question - No! Flew east yesterday am. No sign today, but a nice SE Owl. Lifer for me.

pe'rigin
Friday 12th October 2012, 11:27
Should be a good time to go to the Marsh this weekend. Weather looks fair.

BOPís

Short-Eared Owl, Peregrine, Buzzards, Kestrel, thereís been a Merlin on Bakerís Island since late July, so always worth a look.

GEESE

The Brent are just starting to come in.

DUCK

Not that many yet, but a pair of confiding Common Scoter, along with Pintail, Teal and Wigeon. RB Mergansers arriving too.

WADERS

A nice selection, Avocet, Green Sandpiper, Ruff, Spotted Redshank, Whimbrel, Dunlin, Knot, Godwits, Snipe and Waterail.

PASSERINES

Wheatear, Whinchat, Stonechat, maybe a few Yellow Wagtails and Bearded Tits. The bushes always hold the warblers.

Richard Ford
Saturday 13th October 2012, 13:42
I guess you are talking about the Farlington/Langstone Harbour area?
Is this a list of species you have seen there recently?
Are you sure about the Merlin?

pdwinter
Monday 15th October 2012, 09:57
I see on Birdguides there was Lesser Yellowlegs at Northney yesterday (14th) so it would have been a good time to visit. I haven't been birding on farlington / hayling for over 5 years so it's about time to pay a visit.

Paul

Should be a good time to go to the Marsh this weekend. Weather looks fair.

BOPís

Short-Eared Owl, Peregrine, Buzzards, Kestrel, thereís been a Merlin on Bakerís Island since late July, so always worth a look.

GEESE

The Brent are just starting to come in.

DUCK

Not that many yet, but a pair of confiding Common Scoter, along with Pintail, Teal and Wigeon. RB Mergansers arriving too.

WADERS

A nice selection, Avocet, Green Sandpiper, Ruff, Spotted Redshank, Whimbrel, Dunlin, Knot, Godwits, Snipe and Waterail.

PASSERINES

Wheatear, Whinchat, Stonechat, maybe a few Yellow Wagtails and Bearded Tits. The bushes always hold the warblers.

pe'rigin
Monday 15th October 2012, 11:36
I was at Northney early on Sunday before high tide, I didn’t see a LY. With the predicted jet stream for this week, maybe the time to look will be this weekend?

It was certainly a good weekend for BOP, Firecrest and Ouzels on Hayling, but unfortunately the good weather did bring out the sail boarders and kayaks that kept the wading birds on the move.

Makes sense starting at Northney, then a walk down Church Lane to check the bushes and the sea for the Brent flock, then over Farlington.

cameron2
Tuesday 6th November 2012, 13:46
went to farlington marshes on sunday and saw a lot of birds despite conditions.
6 pintail had arrived, 1 ringed plover, thousands of brent geese and RED BREASTED GOOSE!

Lawts
Wednesday 14th November 2012, 20:04
Can any of you locals confirm how regularly the bird comes to the boating lake and whether any times / tide conditions are better?

I've dipped previously and was going to tie in another attempt with the Hooded Merganser. I get the impression from reports that at the moment it is often elsewhere in the creeks.

Also, for the Red-breasted Goose, which car park is the best - east or west?

Thanks.

pe'rigin
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 14:55
Although there has been a considerable amount of construction work on the sea wall, and the first batch of large sub-single dumped on South Binness, the birds are still around Farlington and the sea. It doesn’t seem to have put them off at all.

Both male and female Merlins are about but keeping their distance from a juvenile male Peregrine who is also viewable on the islands. Two Buzzards and an early morning Marsh harrier, along with a pair of Ravens can usually be found.

The Brent are in good numbers, and there is amongst the flock a pale bellied and a Brant type. Shelduck are numerous as well as Pintail, in the channels, 21 Black-necked grebes, 2 slavonians, a red neck has been switching probably through disturbance from Chichester to Langstone Harbour since early December. Likewise all 3 divers have been doing the same, but it is more likely that only the GND will be seen now.

A female Scaup is about, along with a couple of common scoters and Mergansers.

Black-headed Gulls are just taking to the Oysterbeds along with a few Meds, Herring and Common are also in good numbers, a northern version of Herring Gull can also be found usually around Budds Sewage Farm.

Bearded tits have been by the hut, along with meadow and skylark. Avocets can be view easily from the Eastern Road path. Good numbers of Black tailed Godwits, not yet in their summer plumage, as well as Bar Tails.