• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Berlin in March (1 Viewer)

Hanno

Ho Ho Ho
I'll be attending a trade show in Berlin in March and would like to get some birding in. I will not have nuch time, lunch breaks mostly. If it helps, I will be attending the ITB and staying at the Hotel Zoo Berlin.

Any hints are welcome. Keep in mind that I live in Asia, even birds that might be common place are of interest to me (think House Sparrow).

Thanks in advance,

Hanno

Berlin

Hi Hanno,

there are some places around Berlin.

http://www.birdforum.net/thedirectory/showcat.php?ppuser=20816

If You have few time, You need a bike outside Berlin ( best train + bike ).
I suppose You do not have a car ?

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Beelitz Stadt -> Nuthe Nieplitz
Goetz ( one station before Brandenburg ) -> lake Rietzer See
Nennhausen -> Great Bustard
are important stations.

Naturparc Nuthe Nieplitz is the nearest.
Lots of ducks, geese, Whooper Swan and some raptors You can expect ( e.g. White-tailed Eagle ).

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter,

I will not have any time to go to Nennhausen, and I won't rent a car. As I said, it is a working visit and i just want to pick up some European species when I have a little free time.

Any good parks in Berlin?

Within walking distance is Tiergarten park (not to confuse with the zoo, which is fine, BTW).
With public transport you could go to Grunewald in W Berlin, try to get to the lakeside there and some low-lying areas with broad-leved forest. Spandauer Forst in NW Berlin, try to get to NW edge with meadows and tiny lake. Both require at least an hour to get too (S-Bahn and bus).

If you could rent the car, there are some fantastic sites on the outskirts, like Rietzer See with wide selection of European waterbirds and raptors.

Berlin ITB

Hi Hanno,

I tried to make a map.
Near ITB is Grunewald. In area of Teufelsberg ( climbing tower ), I saw each year Great Spotted Woodpecker and some other forest birds ( I was there climbing very often ). In the evening I heard Common Buzzard. Somethimes I saw Kestrel during climbing.

In the channel between Spandau centre and lake Wansee, I saw lots of waterbirds last february. But in this time all river was frozen, only this channel was free. So collected thousends of waterbirds there.
I marked the way with blue crosses.

You can reach this area with the bus number 149 in street Heerstrasse.

For hill Teufelsberg follow street Heerstrasse until city train ( marked with big "S" ) station "Heerstrasse" and turn left into Teufelsseechaussee.
There is maybe quicker way, depends where on ITB You are.
This is a very big area.

Best regards
Dieter

Attachments

• Berlin_ITB.JPG
    Berlin_ITB.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Berlin

Hi Hanno,

last year I was on the channel which I described.
Find enclosed list

Spandau 12.02.2006

Blackbird common
Fieldfare occassionally
Great Spotted Woodpecker occassionally
Common Buzzard occasionally
Black Headed Gull common

Herring Gull occasionally
1 x Tufted Duck in winter common
Mallard very common
Coot most visit waterbird
Grey Heron common

50 x Comorant common
Moorhen occassionally
2 x Bullfinch occassonally
1 x Chaffinch common
Hooded Crow common

2 x Brambling in winter occasionally
Great Tit common
Jay occasionally
Magpie common
Starling winter rare, in migration time very common

1 x Little Grebe rare
Wood Pigeon common
Greenfinch common

Other expected birds, depends on Your luck
Blue Tit
Long Tailed Tit
Kestrel
Robin
Wren
House Sparrow
Goldfinch
Yellow Hammer
Song Trush
maybe Goldcrest, Green Woodpecker and Hedge Sparrow

Best regards
Dieter

Albatross and Jurek, thanks a lot for your help.

In the end, I ended up joining an excursion organized by the NABU in Rudow.

It was a great day out, with plenty of sun. My British friend and i were the most exotic things seen that day, but as we both live in Viet Nam, we were very happy with birds likce Crested Lark, Long-tailed Tit, Raven, Goldfinch, and Short-toed Treecreeper, amongst others.

Once again, thanks; I am keeping your tips for next year when I will probably attend the ITB again.

Hanno

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back