• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Thetford Norfolk. (1 Viewer)

Trevor Lee

Hi all, my wife and myself are having a weekend camping in Thetford Forest very soon.

We have been there many times especailly around the Great Hockham area.

My question is, does any one have any other info on the area within thetford forest to spot something a bit more unusual or interesting.

The dogs are being left at home this time so we can see more wildlife than usual.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks Trevor

I live miles away and never go there but there must be someone who knows.

Maybe if I put it back on top they'll see it .......

There are many good birding sites around Thetford. East Wretham heath has 362 acres to explore & is a good place to see passage birds like Whinchats & Wheatears. Nearby there is Emily's wood & Gimes Graves which are Brecklnad specialities. The conifer plantation around here can be good for Siskin, Redpoll & crossbills. Lynford Arbouretum is particually good for Hawfinch & Crossbill.

I suggest you get a copy of Where to Watch Birds in East Anglia by Peter & Margaret Clarke. There is a good chapter on the Thetford area.

Best Wishes

Colin J.

Is there any chance your holiday will be on the GGBC 2 weekend?

We'd love to have a report from Thetford!

GGBC 2 details can be found on the Member's Notice Board.

Hope you'll join in!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back