• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go this Sunday? (1 Viewer)

smallblueplanet

Hi
Has anyone any ideas about where might be a good place to take a daytrip to this Sunday? Was thinking of Minsmere but thats perhaps a bit predictable.
If anyone knows anywhere with a good choice of scopes to check out, or a great teashop or extra special birds (didn't mean to put that last!)......starting from near Chelmsford.
Ta

Abberton reservoir sometimes has some good birds and has a small selection of scopes. From there I often go on to Fingeringhoe Wick where they also have scopes but not as good a selection as Minsmere. Neither place has tea but they do sell ice-cream. The other place I like to go is Hanningfield. I'm not sure about tea there.

Last weekend I went to Two-tree Island near Southend and came across 60 Little Egrets on the West end of the island. Also good views of a kingfisher.

Dave

Thanks guys,
Two-trees looks interesting
http://www.southendrspb.co.uk/places/twotree.htm
but a bit bleak? What time of day is best. I have been trying to figure the tide tables (on another thread) and I think I've got the hang of it!
And I'd like to see an ortolan bunting (just looked it up in the Collins) but I'm not much of a twitcher really, it would have to be near were we were going anyway.

I wouldn't describe Two -Tree island as bleak,in fact it is a very good site,with a good mix of birds.

It effectively divides itself between the West and East sections,which are on either side of the road in.

The West side is good mixed habitat and has a couple of hides,but suffers from dog-walkers,so as early as possible would be my advice.
Also on a Sunday there is a model aircraft club operating in the middle of the West section,which can be irritating.

I tend to go to the West section early and when the 'buzzing' starts,walk to the East section,which is a nature reserve (EWT)and in my opinion the better end.

Another thought (as you put a selection of scopes first on your list) woud be to head up to the Norfolk coast. Take in Cley (always worth a look) do some seawatching (if the weather is right) and just down the road (in Glanford) is Cley-Spy an optics shop I would highly recommend - friendly staff and a great selection to look through.

That said, if you go to two-tree island I'm sure you'll find some nice birds to see...

It's going to rain on Sunday!! - with strong southerly winds. If you can get to somewhere like Dungeness, you may get a good passage.

Darrell

Oh no!! I'm not ready for rain.....it's still (almost) summer, I fancied a nice stroll somewhere dry & warm.
Is it gonna rain everywhere?

Try Northumberland - the rain isn't going to reach here till late Sunday evening or even Monday. Still plenty of Roseate Terns at St Mary's Island, plus plenty else.

Bit of a long trek from these remote southern parts though ;)

Michael

'Tis very tempting!
A mate has a cottage on the coast in Craster, with great views of the sea and Dunstanburgh castle (not forgetting the pleasant "the Jolly" pub!).....but yes, too far!! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back