PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Autumn migration brought to you ?

Karl J
Friday 5th September 2003, 22:55
Anyone had anything good, rare, unusual or interesting in the last few weeks ?

I had 2 Wood Sandpiper and a Red-necked Grebe locally.

Tammie
Friday 5th September 2003, 23:34
Nothing rare or unusual but the red breasted nuthatches have returned along with the chickadees. I dearly missed both of them all summer! Next month should bring the pine grosbeaks.

Beverlybaynes
Saturday 6th September 2003, 00:22
So far, it's mostly been about what's gone -- sadly. Bobolinks, Eastern Meadowlarks, Red-winged Blackbirds (gone for a good while, actually), etc.

I know the shorebirds are coming in and the fall warblers, but I haven't been out to find any, darn it!

cjay
Saturday 6th September 2003, 09:04
Wryneck At Lowestoft Dotterel @ Kessingland & some very good quality waders.

Colin J.

HokkaidoStu
Saturday 6th September 2003, 11:24
Red Necked Stint, Grey Tailed Tattler and Common Sandpiper on the beach. Lots of Grey Wagtails ( mostly youngsters from up in the hills ) on the river and loads of Stonechat on the cape too. But best of all was a male Goshawk yesterday flying overhead near my appartment. It was freaking out all the House Martins ( I'm sure it couldn't catch them though ).........................

I'm hoping for some raptors from my local cape in the next couple of weeks........a Siberian Rubythroat would be pretty nice too ( though I've never seen one-here's hoping ).

cuddy
Saturday 6th September 2003, 11:54
Passing us by at the moment hope we get some easterlies soon and a bit of rain.

Mark D
Saturday 6th September 2003, 15:52
Hi all,

I watch a site for visible migration from August through until November. So far the visible stuff over head hasn't really taken off (pardon the pun), few Hirundines and Pipits but not much else.
A foggy morning 2 weeks ago brought me 14 Shelduck, which were only my 3rd local patch sighting and doubled the previous maximum! This year has been good for Tree Pipits passing over with two individuals lingering about on different days. Redstarts have also lingered with 2 males, 2 immatures being present a few weeks ago followed by a 1st yr male last weekend.
Today I saw a Spotted Flycatcher and 6 Blackcap, with the usual Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. There has been a noticeable increase in Blackbird, Song Thrush and Eurasion Robin numbers this weekend.
Can't wait for the overhead vis-mig to start!

Mark

david kelly
Sunday 7th September 2003, 10:13
Baird's Sandpiper yesterday, my first British tick since Ivory Gull on Hogmanay 2001.

Raydes
Sunday 7th September 2003, 18:58
Last week A Little Egret and today an Osprey.
As for uncommon passage.

Also noticeable difference in raptor migration here,last week still many Juv. and local common Buzzards.
Today obvious migration of more species of raptors.

postcardcv
Sunday 7th September 2003, 19:14
Booted warbler, wryneck, red-backed shrike, wood sand, curlew sands and little stints have been the highlights of the week for me in Norfolk.
I'm off on holiday next week so no doubt something mega will turn up...

Art Thorn
Sunday 7th September 2003, 20:27
Western Sandpiper out of it's territory in Eastern Ontario. Larger numbers of Snadpipers of various sorts just starting to arrive at Presquile (Lake Ontario).

Karl J
Sunday 7th September 2003, 20:59
Good to see there's plenty about.

postcard ... where in Norfolk did you get that impressive lot ? Saw a few Curlew Sand & 2 Wood Sand through Breydon and I heard Little Stint but I didn't see any of those (that don't mean too much though )

But you've had some good ones there

Paul Rule
Sunday 7th September 2003, 21:32
Red-footed Falcon 2 weeks ago, 8 Curlew Sandpipers and a little Stint today. Unfortunately dipped out on the Grey Palarope, that dropped into Cambs earlier this week.

Paul

Yve_M
Monday 8th September 2003, 04:14
A flock of 60 sandhill cranes headed South this evening, calling all the while. Our local family will probably be going soon. Sigh.

sue webster
Monday 8th September 2003, 15:44
hi carlos ,we have just had the first teal and wigeon at RSPB Sandwell Valley. I will be looking out for more winter migrants next time I am there. Sue

postcardcv
Monday 8th September 2003, 17:44
Booted warbler was at West Runton (31/08/03), wryneck at Wiveton Downs (03/09/03), red-backed shrike at Burnham Dunes (05/09/03), wood sand, curlew sands and little stints all at Titchwell.
Was at Titchwell today curlew sand and wood sand still present, also had 7 black tern over the sea - a real treat as I have been struggling to catch up with them this year.

Tammie
Monday 8th September 2003, 18:35
A flock of Canada Geese flew over yesterday. And I spotted a male white throated sparrow in a tree this morning. The females have been here for a few days now. No hummers in 4 days now. :( Lots of grackles but no more blackbirds. Purple finches and pine siskins are gone.

Karl J
Monday 8th September 2003, 20:20
Hi Tammie - do any birds actually stay all through the winter in northern Ontario, or do they all fly south ?

7 Black Tern, postcard, that sounds pretty good. I was lucky enough to see one a few weeks ago.

Tammie
Tuesday 9th September 2003, 01:04
I Carlos,
You'd be amazed at the species of birds I have here for the brutal winters we get. I normally have:'

nuthatches (year round)
chickadees (year round)
evening grosbeaks (year round)
pine grosbeaks (winter only)
common redpolls (winter only)
gray jays (my personal favorite!) (year round)
hairy woodpeckers (year round)
downy woodpeckers (year round)
A pretty good assortment considering the conditions up here in January!

Hanno
Tuesday 9th September 2003, 04:23
Last night, standing outside the hotel I work at, I had 50+ Pond Herons come over real low. In all likelyhood Chinese Pond Herons, but the different Pond Heron species are difficult enough to seperate during the day, no way I am going to try that at night. Also, the first White Wagtails have started showing up.

Karl J
Tuesday 9th September 2003, 23:26
Hi Tammie, sounds a good assortment. Think I'll take a trip to the library tomorrow for North American bird book.

What do they all feed on in the depths of winter ?

Tammie
Wednesday 10th September 2003, 01:14
Hi again Carlos,
I feed the birds black oil sunflower seed all year round along with black seed bells and suet cakes. The woodpeckers love the last two! Right now, I've hung seed heads from the sunflowers I grew this summer and the woodpeckers and grackles are working on them the most.
Come mid-winter, seed disappears at record speeds. I buy it by the 50 lb bag and go through one a week in the winter. Pricey but well worth it!

Larry Lade
Wednesday 10th September 2003, 04:11
Tammie, it will be interesting to see if any of your Red-breasted Nuthatches, Purple Finches and Pine Siskins will make it down here to Missouri this year (I don't expect to see the EVENING GROSBEAK - It is a mythical bird!). We usually do get some Purple Finches, but Red-breasted Nuthatches and Pine Siskins are "kind of iffy". Once in a "blue moon" we get a Common Redpoll. The last couple of years we did have Snowy Owl and Northern Saw-whet Owl visiting our state in a couple of different locations. We also get a Northern Shrike occasionally.

Please try to persuade some of the EVENING GROSBEAKS to head our way. I believe there would be much gratitude from a multitude of "happy campers" down here!

Larry ;)

Sumit
Wednesday 10th September 2003, 06:35
We are at least 10 days behind schedule on arrivals. Brown shrikes arrived by 1st September in 2000, 2001 and 2002. Still waiting this year. Also missing in these quarters are the White wagtails and Common Sandpipers (who should have arrived by now). The tip of eastern India is one of the longest final destinations for some, so they must be held up enroute or delayed departure.
Sumit

Tammie
Wednesday 10th September 2003, 12:53
Larry, I'll talk to the grosbeaks if you talk to the cardinals... how's that for a deal?! ;)

Larry Lade
Thursday 11th September 2003, 01:42
Tammie, it's a "done deal"! I will be keeping my eyes open. See if I can pick out a real bright male Northern Cardinal to send your way. ;)

Larry

Hanno
Thursday 11th September 2003, 08:10
Yes, yes, yes. This morning I saw a Fujian Niltava. A migrant up here in Sapa, an anbsolute stunning bird, and a lifer to boot. Also, the first grey Wagtail of this autumn.

goonerz
Tuesday 16th September 2003, 10:21
Common Redstart in my garden, Black tailed Godwit, Pied Flycatcher at Dagenham Chase nature reserve(Greater London), Osprey at Debden ,Essex (14/09/03) ,
Pectorial Sandpiper at Hornchurch Country Park

Edward
Tuesday 16th September 2003, 14:10
Three lifers in four days and one more to boot if I was really prepared to accept a dodgy tick (Buff-breasted Sandpiper - a shape in the dark), but I'm not.
The lifers were:
Yellow Warbler - 11 September
Sooty Shearwater - 13 September
Sabine's Gull - 14 September

Roll on next weekend!

E