• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Much daytime difference from 7x42 to 8x32? (1 Viewer)

Marley

Hi all,

I'm contemplating a change and I wanted to get the opinion of the group. I currently own a pair of 7x42 Ultravids and would like to purchase something a bit more compact. I'm leaning towards the 8x32 Ultravids and I wondered if I would see much difference in the optical performance. I know that the best way to test will be to actually find a store and try them out, but I thought that I might as you all as well.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Steffan

Marley said:
Hi all,

I'm contemplating a change and I wanted to get the opinion of the group. I currently own a pair of 7x42 Ultravids and would like to purchase something a bit more compact. I'm leaning towards the 8x32 Ultravids and I wondered if I would see much difference in the optical performance. I know that the best way to test will be to actually find a store and try them out, but I thought that I might as you all as well.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Steffan

They will not be quite as bright especially at dusk, they will not be as comfortable to view through because of the more difficult eyeplacement and less eye relief. FOV might be about the same. You will enjoy the smaller size and lighter weight. Overall I don't think you will like the smaller glass as well. It depends if you value Ergonomics or Optics more in your binoculars which you will like the most.

Dennis

Marley said:
Hi all,

I currently own a pair of 7x42 Ultravids and would like to purchase something a bit more compact...I know that the best way to test will be to actually find a store and try them out, but I thought that I might as you all as well.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Steffan
Steffan,

You are absolutely correct about trying them yourself. I think that the modern, premium 8x32 is very good for daylight use, showing a little disadvantage only on on overcast days, when looking at a bird in deep shade or under the cover of a dense canopy of leaves. The 8x32 Ultravids do have a slightly narrower actual field of view, but the subjective or apparent field is a little larger. The Zeiss 8x32 FL would have the same field of view as your 7x42 Ultravid. There other aspects like edge sharpness, ergonomics, price, contrast and suppression of Chromatic Aberration which would make it your choice.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back