• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Might This Become? (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Good Morning Forum!

I found this large caterpillar (large to me anyway, about 2.5" long) on the door frame of my garage this morning. I know the picture isn't the best as it's a dark brown fuzzy caterpillar on a dark brown door frame. Does anyone know what this guy will turn into in the future? Can caterpillars survive winter up here? We normally get weeks' worth of -30 and -40°C temperatures come December and January.
I'm really getting curious about these critters... I suppose I should start looking at books about them!
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• brown caterpillar3.jpg
    brown caterpillar3.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 197
I'm no help for a specific answer, Tammie -- but I'm thinking of the old wives' tale.....

The darker the wooly worm, the harder the winter????

Gawd, I HOPE not!

Oh jeez Beverly, I hope you're wrong about that! I've seen some really big ones this year and lots of them too!! :(
Now I'm scared!.....:(

I presume he is supposed to survive the winter, and will build a cocoon and pupate in order to do so. Don't know what it is, just a big 'woolybear'.

Woolly Bears, in the UK are the caterpillars of the Garden Tiger Moth ( Arctia caja), don't know if you have the same species, or similar, in Canada?
Found a website to show you the moth I mean...

www.ukmoths.force9.co.uk

Then click onto 'Beginners Top 20' - moth is no. 13 on list.

THanks Gill and Charles, for your input. Gill, I've never seen that particular type of moth around here before but that doesn't mean it isn't here, by any stretch! It's very beautiful and I would love to see it. The caterpillar is still in the same spot this morning. I'm hoping it will stay there for the winter but it seems a little early for that yet. You never know though... it could snow here any day now! :(

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back