• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HR WP 8x42 (1 Viewer)

ghostrider

I've had a pair of the old (1992) HR bins for years, since 1992 in fact. I have found them superb. I have been drawn recently to the modern Imagic roof prisms which my wife has and they too are very good. However i have tested them side by side in terrible weather conditions and found that my HR's resolve detail and colours much better.
They are now available with all the extras that mine lack ie...
Nitrogen filled, internall focusing, twist up eye cups and better dioptre setting better close focus and are very cheap!
Anyone got a pair and is it too good to be true?

ghostrider said:
I've had a pair of the old (1992) HR bins for years, since 1992 in fact. I have found them superb. I have been drawn recently to the modern Imagic roof prisms which my wife has and they too are very good. However i have tested them side by side in terrible weather conditions and found that my HR's resolve detail and colours much better.
They are now available with all the extras that mine lack ie...
Nitrogen filled, internall focusing, twist up eye cups and better dioptre setting better close focus and are very cheap!
Anyone got a pair and is it too good to be true?

Hi Ghostrider,

I work for Opticron, so I use the new HR WP now and again. They are very good value for money in that porro prism binoculars pound for pound are better optically than roof prisms. For example I would say by buying a HR WP at around £220 you will be getting a binocular that is optically comparable with say a verano bga at £300 pound. This is because porro prisms are cheaper to make and manufacture, and therefore better value for money at retail. The only down sides are that they are bulkier and heavier, than roof prisms. The 8x42 weighs 715g and the 10x42 725g. So if you, like me are not bothered by weight, they are an excellent buy.

Features include:

Nitrogen filled, water proof construction to 3m.
30 year guarantee.
Twist up eyecups.
3 metre close focus.
New extra grip rubber housing.
New shape and therefore better handling.
Left hand side lockable eye dioptre.
6.4' Field of view (8x42)

The 8x42 I find is very good in low light, for example in woodlands. They are also super sharp for the money. Much sharper than the countryman bga at the same price.

If you want to find out more look on www.opticron.co.uk

All the best.

Thanks Rob.
I've always thought that good porros were better than cheap roofs and personally i like the feel of porros.I'm going to check these out.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back