• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parus major Rearrangement Proposed - About Time! (1 Viewer)

cuckooroller

Parus major - Great Tit

Races: major, newtoni, excelsus, corsus, mallorcae, ecki, niethammeri, aphrodite, terraesanctae, karelini, blanfordi.

Parus cinereus - Cinereous Tit

Races: cinereus, intermedius, caschmirensis, decolorans, ziaratensis, mahrattarum, stupae, nipalensis, vauriei, templorum, commixtus, nigriloris, hainanus, ambiguus, sarawacensis.

Parus minor - Japanese Tit

Races: minor, tibetanus, nubicolus, sbsp.inn., kagoshimae, dagaletensis, amamiensis, okinawae

I bet it's based on Kvist L et al, 2003. Evolution and genetic structure of the great tit (Parus major) complex. Proc R Soc London B 270:1447.
However: “According to the phylogenetic species concept, all the subspecies groups
[note: including bokharensis, which is very closely related to major] could be considered as separate species, but if the definition of the biological species concept is strictly followed, none of the subspecies groups is a true species because hybridization still occurs.” (not that I'd endorse that view)

JH,
I followed up a note sent through the OB List-server, here: http://www.worldbirdinfo.net/Bird/tabid/55/bid/20559/Default.aspx

Look at the citations link, though not of help for me as it just says New Combination March 12 (?) - I don't know if this is supposed to intend by "pers. comm." or what! Perhaps, the response is buried somewhere in that Paridae Review .pdf that I think I sent also to you, but I have not had the time to find the file and relook at it.

Yes, you're right – from the review: “Here we treat the Great Tit as a superspecies, Parus [major], which includes three allospecies, each of which requires species rank under the Biological Species Concept (Mayr, 1942): Parus [major] major, the Northern Great Tit, including the bokharensis group, Parus [major] minor, the Eastern Great Tit, and Parus [major] cinereus, the Southern Great Tit.”
Those English names are a bit too rigorous for me, but I will not be tempted to make a joke about German authors...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back