• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED82 eyepiece opinion (1 Viewer)

narawood

There is something not right wrong with me!!!
I have been asked to choose an eyepiece (a gift), I am considering the 25-75x zoom and the 75x wide MC. Owing to my lack of knowledge I simply do not know which I should choose, digiscoping and general viewing are equally important to me, my present eyepiece is the 30x wide MC, I would appreciate your opinion.
Thanks, John.

I'd have thought the zoom. although at 75x the wide angle will be better I really do think the flexibility of the zoom would be preferable.

the 30x you already own will have a better viewing experience and fov.

can't imagine you would want to digiscope with the 75x

I´d go along with PDuxon´s advice there, I have the 30x and the zoom, I think the 30x is a better all-rounder, with the zoom as back-up when I really need the power. I can´t imagine birding anywhere with a fixed 75x, unless it was to read leg-rings or something. No matter how wide it is, at that power I´m sure it would be a keyhole experience. Best Wishes

John
I have the same scope and eyepiece. They also do a x38 & x50 fixed eyepiece. x75 fixed would as Sancho says would only be for reading leg rings at distance or maybe seawatching. Not sure if it useful for digiscoping. x38 is not much of an increase to what you have.
I'm considering zoom or x50 but would like to find out if they are any good for digiscoping.
John

I use the 30x half the time and the zoom the other half of the time.

The zoom compromise in quality is more than made up for by its versatility. But this only has value if you need it! If the birds are on the move – I find the zoom very useful.

It is occasionally handy to use the zoom high power despite the trade offs for the magnification. I was out today looking a Great Horned Owls nest from about 1300 feet away (400 meters). With 30X I could see “something” brown in the nest. With the zoom at 60X to 75X I could see – (maybe “make out” is a better term) - the horn feathers and eye on the owl and other details. Similar incident not long ago, viewing Bald eagles eating on ice at a further distance.

Scanning a flock of ducks zoomed out, then zooming in on the interest points works for my style. On some ponds conditions are such that the 30x provides the best view and I use it.

Of course if you end up with lots of eyepieces, getting another scope like the ED50 is mandatory to take full advantage of them! If that excuse does not fly let me know and I will work on more justifications.

All replies have been really helpful to me and are sincerely appreciated; I now think that my choice should be between the 25-75x zoom (Nikon #7467) and the 50x wide MC (Nikon # 7464).

Like Border Reiver I would like to know if the 50x wide is a good digiscoping eyepiece, I have read comments on other posts about some shortcomings regarding the 25-75x zoom, other comments praise it’s flexibility as pduxon, Sancho and Tvc15_2000 have reiterated.

The 20-75x seems to be a desirable contender, but I would still like to know more about the 50x wide before making the final decision, my-oh-my what a good problem to have!!!.

Tvc15-2000, if you have any justifications that would persuade my wife that purchasing the ED50 is absolutely the most logical and sensible thing to do, then I want to hear them.
John

I'd buy the ED50 and use this with the exisitng eyepiece. Then you have two superb scopes to cope with different requirements. Get the zoom later - it's brilliant with the ED50, too!

Prices from Warehouse Express:

25-75x zoom £229
50x £199
Total £428

ED50 body £239
27x (50x on ED82) £199
Total £438 (or £428 if you buy the 20x lens - the 38x on the ED82 - or £468 with the zoom)

I'd say the second option is much the best for your money. You will have two brilliant scopes with two excellent lenses you can use on both that will offer great versatility. The other options means you will have one great scope with more lenses than you'll probably need.

I have had the Nikon 78 mm ED Fieldscope along with 30, 50, and 75x eyepieces for many years, later added a 25-75x eye-piece, and recently got a 50 mm ED body.

I use the 30x on the 78 mm over 95% of the time. On the rare occasion that I've wanted higher power, my inclination has always been to use the 50x. It's just as wide (true field) as the 25-75 zoom at 25x, so it's just as easy to aim, and atmospheric conditions rarely make powers above 50x useful for birding anyway. That said, even the 50x of limited utility--after all, the gain in magification over 30x is modest (not even double). My dad got me the 75x as a gift--he's an amateur astronomer and insisted I own a higher power eyepiece for the few astro applications that the 78 mm ED can credibly handle. I never use the 75x for birding.

Since I already owned the eyepieces, I found the 50 mm ED irresistable as a compact and lightweight scope for travel or car window mount use. I rationalize that there won't ever be a cheaper alternative of this quality, or a better one based on this eyepiece standard. I've decided to keep the "50x" on the 50 mm ED--it works as a 27x WA and the view is stunning. I'm going to keep the 25-75x with the 78 mm to use any time I need more than 30x magnification. So altogether, my 78 mm may see a little less use, but now that I won't always have the 50x on hand while using the big scope, the zoom will actually see a bit more use.
--AP

border reiver said:
John
I have the same scope and eyepiece. They also do a x38 & x50 fixed eyepiece. x75 fixed would as Sancho says would only be for reading leg rings at distance or maybe seawatching. Not sure if it useful for digiscoping. x38 is not much of an increase to what you have.
I'm considering zoom or x50 but would like to find out if they are any good for digiscoping.
John

A 50x lens is not likely to be good for digiscoping. Even a 38x struggles. The less powerful the lens the better in general terms. There is a good simple technical explanation of why at
http://www.srb-griturn.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=129

Mark

Many thanks for highlighting this. I thought that because Nikon have a Wide Angle Fieldscope Digital Scoping Eyepiece 27x for 50mm / 40x for 60mm / 50x for 82mm Fieldscope Spotting Scopes (6950), that it might be an addition to digiscoping kit!!
Think I'll invest in a zoom for more sea watching etc and stick with the x30 for most of my watching/digiscoping.

John

All

A comparison of the Nikon 30xDS and 25-75x zoom eyepieces on a Nikon ED82 scope.

The pictures are as follows

1 Taken with the zoom, other than cropping no post alterations
2 Taken with the 30X DS other than cropping no post alterations
3 Picture 1 with with contrast and sharpening (see note below)
4 Picture 2 with with contrast and sharpening

Note. that more sharpening was given to the zoom picture than the 30XDS

I did take about six pictures with each of the eyepieces, and the ones shown are representative of the best.

I am sure you will agree the fourth picture with the 30XDS is the best, much more depth of field, and needed less sharpening.

Malc

Attachments

• _testzoom.jpg
    _testzoom.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 222
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 227
  • testzoomadj.jpg
    testzoomadj.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 207
  • testadj.jpg
    testadj.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Tthe 30x + the 25-75 zoom is a great combo. The lower powers on the zoom (20-25) seem to work OK for digisoping, meaning I have gotten reasonably good shots on occasion, but I am very far from consistent with digicscoping. The ED82 and ED50 is a match made in heaven.

Justification?
I had success with using the disease to facilitate the disease. I was lucky enough to infect my long time girlfriend with birding so she is happy as long as she gets her share of the fine optics too. It usually starts off as lending some critical component till she is addicted to the quality, then I complain about her using it too much. Finally I upgrade and she gets the old jewels. Of course this costs me more in the long run. But it can create relationship harmony and end arguments over who is using the scope too much. The opposition can literally “see” your wisdom. I will report back soon on my attempt with this idea with the ED50 soon.

Sound logic sometimes works if they are reasonable such as “ I have 2 eyepieces I really should have 2 scopes to put them to use”. You can leave one scope on the bird feeder for the spouse to enjoy (when your not using it). If you have a tough customer you may have to be more resourceful.

In that case you can try the lesser evil argument – for instance the danger your frustration will force you to take a less desirable activity such as excess gambling, excess womanizing or excess drinking. This only works if you are not excessive in those areas already. If you are excessive you can use the opposite argument – birding will reduce your time to do the others. In which case you may have to do those things while you bird to save time.

Often just dangling the hope that birding will get us out of the house for additional hours is enough incentive for many spouses. I hope this helps. I am sure there are better experts in this area than me that can furnish sound advice.

The ring necks were shot through the 30x mounted on an ED82
The White Fronted Goose was shot through the zoom set on 25x
All with a puny Canon SD 600. They were cropped. I wish I could capture images half as nice as Feathered one. WOW! Well done!

I did order a custom made Gritum. It should be here in about a month. The prototype they are making for me will work on either the zoom or the fixed 30X. and should be capable of a quick change. Ooops, another justification is needed…

Attachments

• AIMG_2110.jpg
    AIMG_2110.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 144
  • AIMG_2111.jpg
    AIMG_2111.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 152
  • AIMG_2116.jpg
    AIMG_2116.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2099.JPG
    IMG_2099.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 151
Feathered one said:
All

A comparison of the Nikon 30xDS and 25-75x zoom eyepieces on a Nikon ED82 scope.
Malc

Thank You - very nice. Have you done comparisons between the regular 30XWA and the 30XDS? If so - how do they compare for normal birding and for Digiscoping.

Meaning - does the DS effect regular viewing with the eye since it is optomized for the camera?

Thanks
T

Last edited:
Don't be afraid-using a 75x lens is not that difficult. I own both the 30x and 75x DS for my 82mm Fieldscope III, and I use the 75x quite frequently, although not for digiscoping. I like knowing that I have that extra bit of magnification when I need it. It turns those little specks into recognizable birds. I actually left the 30mm in my wife's car last weekend and had to bird all day with the 75x. I was able to watch Harlequins diving in rolling surf without too much trouble, and pick out every feather on usually distant Purple Sandpipers. It was a little trickier to line up the birds, but the views were spectacular once I did. Of course, there was no breeze that day. I say get the 25x-75x zoom, for those times when you really need it.

The DS lenses are similar to eyepieces with the eye-cups folded down. They are slighty more awkward to use for normal viewing but nothing serious.

Greg S.

Last edited:
The difference between the fixed & zoom eyepiece pics of the Kestrel clearly show that the fixed is better for digiscoping. Many thanks for this Malc.

Greg I think the examples you give regarding the zoom is why it would be a good addition to my bird watching kit. While some birds are just too far away to digiscope its good to get a more detailed view of them even if you can't get a picture.

Thanks to all for posts. John

border reiver said:
The difference between the fixed & zoom eyepiece pics of the Kestrel clearly show that the fixed is better for digiscoping. Many thanks for this Malc.

Greg I think the examples you give regarding the zoom is why it would be a good addition to my bird watching kit. While some birds are just too far away to digiscope its good to get a more detailed view of them even if you can't get a picture.

Thanks to all for posts. John
I'm a bit surprised by the shots as both the Nikon fixed and zoom are pin sharp eyepieces. I wonder why the zoom shot of the kestrel is slightly out of focus? Perhaps it's not a feature of the zoom itself but of shooting conditions. Most tests seem to show that a zoom and a fixed eyepiece are pretty much equivalent for digiscoping when used at the same focal length.

scampo said:
I'm a bit surprised by the shots as both the Nikon fixed and zoom are pin sharp eyepieces. I wonder why the zoom shot of the kestrel is slightly out of focus? Perhaps it's not a feature of the zoom itself but of shooting conditions. Most tests seem to show that a zoom and a fixed eyepiece are pretty much equivalent for digiscoping when used at the same focal length.

Could be because of less light through the zoom giving less speed, as all pictures taken with the same aperture. Focused the same way for both eyepieces, trim for best focus on lcd with magnifier, with shutter release half way down. then press all the way down to take the picture, All 6 pictures with the zoom came out the same.

The biggest problem is the depth of field being less on the zoom.

For bird spotting the zoom is great, but in my opinion, and I have only been digiscoping for about 5 months. The 30XDS for me, is the easiest and best for digiscoping.

Malc

Tvc15_2000 said:
Justification?
I had success with using the disease to facilitate the disease. I was lucky enough to infect my long time girlfriend with birding so she is happy as long as she gets her share of the fine optics too. It usually starts off as lending some critical component till she is addicted to the quality, then I complain about her using it too much. Finally I upgrade and she gets the old jewels. Of course this costs me more in the long run. But it can create relationship harmony and end arguments over who is using the scope too much. The opposition can literally “see” your wisdom. I will report back soon on my attempt with this idea with the ED50 soon.

Sound logic sometimes works if they are reasonable such as “ I have 2 eyepieces I really should have 2 scopes to put them to use”. You can leave one scope on the bird feeder for the spouse to enjoy (when your not using it). If you have a tough customer you may have to be more resourceful.

In that case you can try the lesser evil argument – for instance the danger your frustration will force you to take a less desirable activity such as excess gambling, excess womanizing or excess drinking. This only works if you are not excessive in those areas already. If you are excessive you can use the opposite argument – birding will reduce your time to do the others. In which case you may have to do those things while you bird to save time.

Often just dangling the hope that birding will get us out of the house for additional hours is enough incentive for many spouses. I hope this helps. I am sure there are better experts in this area than me that can furnish sound advice.
Superb exposition and sound defence, Tvc. You did well to get your partner to bird. Doesn't work with my missus, got her as far as garden birding but she will only very rarely look through bins, and never through a scope. I have (seriously) tried an extreme version of another tactic, i.e. I've mentioned possibly taking up golf and enquired about membership of a new local club (membership alone, sans green fees, is about 6,000 euro a year). I have absolutely no intention of ever holding a golf club, but I casually have left a golfing magazine (open on the price-list page for funky new sets of clubs) and letters from the golf club about membership, addressed to me, at strategic points around the theatre of operations (kitchen table and the like). Then, when asked about my intentions, casually mention an interest (but leave it to fester, and a few days later mention in resigned fashion that I probably don't have time to really learn and practise golf, given I'd have to give up birding. Manipulative? Moi? It worked once. It'll probably never work again, but it won't have to 'cos I have the ED82 and ED50 now ;)

Sancho said:
Superb exposition and sound defence, Tvc. You did well to get your partner to bird. Doesn't work with my missus, got her as far as garden birding but she will only very rarely look through bins, and never through a scope. I have (seriously) tried an extreme version of another tactic, i.e. I've mentioned possibly taking up golf and enquired about membership of a new local club (membership alone, sans green fees, is about 6,000 euro a year). I have absolutely no intention of ever holding a golf club, but I casually have left a golfing magazine (open on the price-list page for funky new sets of clubs) and letters from the golf club about membership, addressed to me, at strategic points around the theatre of operations (kitchen table and the like). Then, when asked about my intentions, casually mention an interest (but leave it to fester, and a few days later mention in resigned fashion that I probably don't have time to really learn and practise golf, given I'd have to give up birding. Manipulative? Moi? It worked once. It'll probably never work again, but it won't have to 'cos I have the ED82 and ED50 now
An open and honest relationship there then, Sancho!!

;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back