• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

$110 success: Yosemite 8x30 (1 Viewer)

Otto McDiesel

Darn it, this thing is good enough to go birding happily ever after!
There is not a single thing that bothers me with this 8x30, well, maybe the squishy focuser.
One interesting fact: i seem to like the view better with the eyecups extended only halfway: the image seems wider, sharper, and brighter.

Luca said:
i seem to like the view better with the eyecups extended only halfway: the image seems wider, sharper, and brighter.

Hmm...your comment doesn't bode well for what has been my biggest concern with these: eye-relief. I know you don't use your glasses, but I do, and 14 mm is often not enough for comfort. The Nikon 8x30 EII also has 14 mm and it is just within the limits of what I consider useable and is just outside the limits of what I consider comfortable.

Also, is the close-focus really 16 feet, or is it significantly better than spec?
--AP

Alexis,

I tried to use the 8x30 with my glasses on. No, it does not work, no matter how close i push them. The 6x30, however, does work very well with glasses and it is a very nice binocular (the view is brighter, more relaxed, and the colors are a bit more vivid than in the 8x30).

As far as eyecups on the 8x30: they seem to be exactly the same and to travel the same distance as the ones on the 6x30, which is wrong if the eye relief figures are correct.

The close focus on the 8x30 is about 13 feet (4.2 meters). Close enough for birding.

The 6x30 is a really nice boating/sea going/pellagic birding glass, it also works well in dark forests. I don't like the limited AFOV.

The 8x30 is a very nice all-round glass.

These two are nicer binoculars than the Nikon Actions, in my opinion. The optics are better, and the bodies are much more ergonomic and hand-holdable.

Luca says:"These two are nicer binoculars than the Nikon Actions, in my opinion. The optics are better, and the bodies are much more ergonomic and hand-holdable."

I have to agree,I have the Nikon 7x35 Action and the Leupold 6x30 Yosemite and the Yosemite is much nicer to use and comes within a hairsbreath of the resolution of the 7x35.
Regards,Steve

Luca said:
Alexis,

I have the 8X30's also, but do not wear glasses. I can use with e/p 1/2 way up are all the way up. Can't tell the difference. These have become my favorite bins for daytime use. I think Leupold will sell a lot of these. No matter what people say, they always enjoy a "bargain". Good performace at a lower price tends to make people happy.

Lynn

Alexis Powell said:
Hmm...your comment doesn't bode well for what has been my biggest concern with these: eye-relief. I know you don't use your glasses, but I do, and 14 mm is often not enough for comfort. The Nikon 8x30 EII also has 14 mm and it is just within the limits of what I consider useable and is just outside the limits of what I consider comfortable.

Also, is the close-focus really 16 feet, or is it significantly better than spec?
--AP

I just pulled out the measuring tape and with the Yosemites I can clearly focus on the toaster oven with one eye at 8'9" and with both eyes at 9'4".

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back