• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Titmouse behavior question (1 Viewer)

jnealy

Hello....

Tufted titmice are a common fixture at our feeders, and while they don't seem too bothered by us looking at them from the windows, they always fly away when we walk out on the deck. This afternoon I walked out on the deck to get something, and wasn't making any attempt to be quiet. When I stepped out onto the deck I heard some bird activity in the tree to my right, and when I looked up this titmouse was sitting right there, and he seemed to be just frozen in place. He looked right at me and made no attempt to move. I ran back inside to get my camera thinking for sure he would be gone when I came back, but he stayed put while I took several pictures. He literally didn't budge an inch...he was completely still. When I looked at the pictures I noticed something in/on his beak. At first I thought maybe something was stuck on his beak, but I think it might be a bug. Is this common for a titmouse to sit perfectly still like this? What could be his reason for doing this? After several minutes he flew to another branch.

I'm attempting to post a link to the picture. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://picasaweb.google.com/jnealy22/BigCanoeWildlife/photo#5044847651277378322

well he may be so startled that he doesnt know what to do or it could just be that titmice and chickadees arent that afraid of people.

Hey Jnealy, I am willing to bet that if you scanned the treetops you may have found an accipiter perched quietly waiting for some movement. Next time you see a "frozen" bird mabey you should give a check - I thinks ;) mabey

danehower said:
Hey Jnealy, I am willing to bet that if you scanned the treetops you may have found an accipiter perched quietly waiting for some movement. Next time you see a "frozen" bird mabey you should give a check - I thinks ;) mabey

I had the same thought after the fact, and have seen hawks in our yard on occasion. There were other birds nearby making noises, so I'm not sure. Just my luck to be focusing on the titmouse and miss a shot of the hawk. Oh well...I got some great close-ups of the cute titmouse. Still wish I could figure out what was in/on his beak though.

usually when chickadees see a predator they make their classic "chicka dee dee dee" sound. heres a fun tidbit they add "dee"s to their song to differeniate between predators.

amkid247 said:
usually when chickadees see a predator they make their classic "chicka dee dee dee" sound. heres a fun tidbit they add "dee"s to their song to differeniate between predators.

I've noticed that too....the extra ones on there. Never thought about what they meant though ! Half the time it's ME that they're squawking about as I try to watch them eat from my garage.

I am still amazed when that alarm call goes out and every single bird flies away at once. We have a Cooper's Hawk that I've had in my yard about 4 times now. I saw him snatch a House Finch out of the air last year. But the birds made that same call and all flew away one day when a Heron flew over my house.....I guess they can't tell the difference.....haha.

Steve
Knoxville, TN

danehower said:

I was thinking the same thing. I have off and on visits from a Coopers and a Sharp Shinned hawk and most of the time all the birds fly to cover all at once but every so often one or two get caught napping and they freeze in place till the hawks fly away.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back