• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Piccolo AA65S ED and HR60S ED (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Stewart

About 11 years ago I bought the Piccolo telescope, new, with the 20x HDF eyepiece, and a few years ago came across the HR60S ED with rubber armouring and fitted with a so-so no-name 20X eyepiece, on a market stall at a very favourable price. As far as I can tell they seem to be the same optics in different housings, and the HR60S ED with the small knob focus is very much easier to use - now fitted with the HDF eyepiece.

I'm now looking to get a better eyepiece with higher magnification, and am seeking views on the nominally 28X HDF for use with these 'scopes. Does this eyepiece give a tolerably wide field view, and to someone wearing specs?

(I wear specs and am not that impressed with my Opticron HR 60 30xW eyepiece. The view is quite constricted compared to my 20X HDF - I realise that there will be some reduction in FoV but hope that this is minimised in the HDF range.)

Any comments on the merits of the Piccolo vs the HR would be welcome as I know little about birding 'scopes. Are birding eyepieces swappable from brand to brand, as with astronomical 'scopes?

Many thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back