• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth id please (1 Viewer)

robinm

Sorry for poor quality but can anyone id this moth. It was small - < 2cm wing span.

thanks,

Attachments

• mothtoid.jpg
    mothtoid.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 204
Hi Robin, It look very like a Purple-bordered Gold, I. muricata Hufn. I hope I'm right but other members will soon let you know if I've got it wrong.

digi-birder said:
What is the full title, please, Ken?

Diane, the book is: "Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland" by Waring and Townsend, illustrated by Richard Lewington, British Wildlife Publishing, pb £29.95, ISBN 0-9531399-2-1

It's a bit pricey but superbly produced. I'm a great fan of Richard Lewington. I've already got the dragonflies book in the same series which he illustrated (Brooks and Lewington); and Tolman's European butterfly guide, again illustrated by RL.

BTW Amazon charged me £4.95 postage on the Moths book which I thought was a bit ott. You can probably get it post free from
Books for Birders (look on Google). At least, I know you can get the dragonfly book post free from them. I got Tolman from amazon.co.fr in case anyone is struggling to obtain it. It's the Princton edition but none the worse for that.

As I've written elsewhere, moths are not for the faint-hearted. I'd no idea there were so many! And you have to be sure you are not trying to ID a caddis fly as I did on one of my first attempts!
Ken

Thanks Ken.

I also have the Brooks/Lewington dragonflies book and it is excellent. We also have a couple of fairly decent butterfly books, which we've had for some years. The Mitchell Beazley Pocket Guide (illustrated) and the Hamlyn Guide Butterflies of the British Isles (photos, but with illustrations of the main family groups at the front).

I will certainly look out for the moth book to add to the collection.

It's a good job we're moving to a bigger house!!

digi-birder said:

It's a good job we're moving to a bigger house!!

So are we! On 30th.
Hope your move goes well.
I cannot wait to dig a garden pond and start planting buddleias, elder, pyracanthas, sedums, hebe great orme, nicotiana and lots of other wildlife friendly plants!!!

Surreybirder said:
So are we! On 30th.
Hope your move goes well.
I cannot wait to dig a garden pond and start planting buddleias, elder, pyracanthas, sedums, hebe great orme, nicotiana and lots of other wildlife friendly plants!!!

Snap! Our move will be sometime in November. I have ordered a garden design CD-ROM - it had some good reviews and it wasn't too expensive so I thought I'd give it a go. Our house is still being built, so it will be one of those gardens with a foot of builder's rubble under the two inches of top soil!

Also got some books coming from Amazon (free delivery!). How to build decking and some soft furnishing books.

Surreybirder said:

BTW Amazon charged me £4.95 postage on the Moths book which I thought was a bit ott. You can probably get it post free from
Books for Birders (look on Google). At least, I know you can get the dragonfly book post free from them.
Ken

PS To be fair, I should report that Amazon have now refunded me the £4.95 since I complained!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back