• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HDF zoom for MM2 (1 Viewer)

dropout

Hi,

I have an MM2 which I'm very happy with; it's compact & light for walking. I have the MM2 zoom which isn't bad up to about 28x but after that things start to get dark & fuzzy. I'm thinking about getting a second-hand "HDF Zoom MK1" which is less than 2/3 the price of a new HDF zoom (I can't stretch to a new one). The fact that the second-hand eyepiece is "MK1" suggests that the current model is an upgrade. Would the older HDF be significantly better than my MM2 eyepiece, and a sensible buy?

Thanks in anticipation.

Yes the HDF zoom will be a huge improvement over the MM2 zoom. I beleive the older HDF zoom is basically the same optically as the new one, but it has a rubber eyecup rather than the twist-up one that the new version has. I think if you change to the HDF zoom you will see a huge improvement in the view you get through your MM2.

postcardcv said:
Yes the HDF zoom will be a huge improvement over the MM2 zoom. I beleive the older HDF zoom is basically the same optically as the new one, but it has a rubber eyecup rather than the twist-up one that the new version has. I think if you change to the HDF zoom you will see a huge improvement in the view you get through your MM2.

The type of eyecup doesn't bother me so it seems like a good buy.
Thanks for your reply.

dropout said:
The type of eyecup doesn't bother me so it seems like a good buy.

It will be worth checking if you need a thread adapter to attach this eyepeice to your MM2 (they only cost a few pounds). If you are buying from a shop you could test the eyepeice for yourself. If it's mail order (from a shop) you should be able to return it if it fails to live up to expectations.

postcardcv said:
It will be worth checking if you need a thread adapter to attach this eyepeice to your MM2 (they only cost a few pounds). If you are buying from a shop you could test the eyepeice for yourself. If it's mail order (from a shop) you should be able to return it if it fails to live up to expectations.

Good point. I'll ask about an adapter when I ring them. It is mail order; they give 6 month's warranty & 14 day approval so it should be OK.
Thanks again.

dropout said:
Good point. I'll ask about an adapter when I ring them. It is mail order; they give 6 month's warranty & 14 day approval so it should be OK.
Thanks again.
There's no mention on the Opticron website of an adapter being needed with the HDF zoom but there's something about having to fully extend the draw tube and then retract it to the click-stop position for it to focus to infinity.

level seven said:
There's no mention on the Opticron website of an adapter being needed with the HDF zoom but there's something about having to fully extend the draw tube and then retract it to the click-stop position for it to focus to infinity.

Yes, thanks. I've just ordered the HDF; should get it tomorrow. The chap in the shop confirmed what postcardcv said about the only difference being the eyecup. He also mentioned about retracting the draw tube to the click stop, & that it doesn't need an adapter. It will be interesting to see the difference between the HDF & the MM2 zooms.

level seven said:

There are two versions of the MM2 the new one has V2 printed on it. for some reason I think the above refers to the new scope only BUT I'm not certain.

Click stops

You're correct, the newer V2 has a click stop very near to full extension - this is for the HDF eyepieces, particularly the zoom, to focus to infinity. The original MM2s had to be fully extended and the focusing of HR and HDF eyepieces was not as problematical.

Yes, the HDF ZOOM is loads better than the IS pro equivalent (i.m.o.)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back